Router bits; look at this bad dad..

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
flush-trim router bit, 2 3/4 cutting length

View attachment 541620

I already have the whiteside spiral bearing bit that sells for around $108, but this thing is almost half that price..

From the look of it, the cutter sections, while taking smaller, overlapping bites of the wood, are still cutting straight across rather than slicing at an angle as our spiral bits do.

If I had to guess Id say that the quality of the cut would be somewhere in between a standard router bit and the spiral...

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
But the cut edges seem to travel in an upward motion as they rotate.

I wonder if that has the same effect..

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the cut edges seem to travel in an upward motion as they rotate.

I wonder if that has the same effect..
I think thats an optical/mental illusion created by the spiral behind the cutters. I'd bet if you covered the whole thing with tape, and poked one cutter through the tape, and then rotated the bit you'd see that it moves straight across

Kennoyce

Reaction score
From the look of it, the cutter sections, while taking smaller, overlapping bites of the wood, are still cutting straight across rather than slicing at an angle as our spiral bits do.

If I had to guess Id say that the quality of the cut would be somewhere in between a standard router bit and the spiral...
That was the first thing I noticed as well, I'm definitely intrigued though...

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was the first thing I noticed as well, I'm definitely intrigued though...
there's no doubt in my mind its a bad dad :)

Its likely superior to a standard straight cutting router bit, but I think the solid carbide spiral cutters are going to do a cleaner job

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, I bought that same spiral bit you mentioned on your recommendation.

And I haven't looked back. Now that one is truly a bad dad!

I have a large stock of flame maple boards. And for some reason, they are harder than any maple I've ever cut.

you ought to see the file shavings. They are like little curly pieces of plastic. Even the sawdust is hard.

That bit goes through it without a hitch.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it.
The stagger (spiral) of the cutters allows for good chip clearing, but the cutters do not impart any downward force to the workpiece because the cutting faces are parallel to the rotational axis, so less risk of tearout on the bottom of the piece.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Wood Butcher

Reaction score
Reminds me a bit of these that I've seen pop up on AliExpress. These have the replaceable and rotatable carbide inserts, remind me more of a Spindle Moulder cutter than a router bit, no idea how they perform ....
1622753029484.png

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
NOTHING compares to these Bad Boys! Expensive but worth every penny.
I like the dual bearing as if needed you can remove either bearing which creates the other 2 models :fingersx:
https://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/collections/ultimate-flush-trim-bits
View attachment 541646
‘The middle one in your image is the 2nd of the two I linked in my other thread. More expensive than the Freud bit by a good margin, but I still consider it worth the money. The Freud bit has a bottom bearing, and the whiteside bit has the top bearing.

I use both. Which one I use for a given task depends on what makes the most sense re: template placement.

the white side bit does limit your router speed. That’s the only downside I see, but it hasn’t been an issue somfar

bradland

Reaction score
‘The middle one in your image is the 2nd of the two I linked in my other thread. More expensive than the Freud bit by a good margin, but I still consider it worth the money. The Freud bit has a bottom bearing, and the whiteside bit has the top bearing.

I use both. Which one I use for a given task depends on what makes the most sense re: template placement.

the white side bit does limit your router speed. That’s the only downside I see, but it hasn’t been an issue somfar
Haven't seen your other thread.
This is what makes the double-bearing bit so versatile. Like I said by removing either the upper or lower bearing you essentially own all 3 bits! I usually use the bit with both bearings in place but I have removed one a couple times. I only wish the cutting height were a little taller than 1-1/8" but that would of course increase the price.

Reaction score
Any idea what speed you are running? The router in my table is a Porter Cable 690LR, fixed at 27,500....I'm guessing I have to find a way to slow it down or get a new router.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any idea what speed you are running? The router in my table is a Porter Cable 690LR, fixed at 27,500....I'm guessing I have to find a way to slow it down or get a new router.
I have a 3 1/4 hp porter cable with 5 speeds. I usually run it pretty low when cutting maple to avoid burning it. Usually 13k rpm

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen your other thread.
This is what makes the double-bearing bit so versatile. Like I said by removing either the upper or lower bearing you essentially own all 3 bits! I usually use the bit with both bearings in place but I have removed one a couple times. I only wish the cutting height were a little taller than 1-1/8" but that would of course increase the price.
I’d rather have two bits than bother swapping bearings on and off. I need one top, and one bottom. Can’t really think of a need for one with both top and bottom at the same time...

Reaction score
I have a 3 1/4 hp porter cable with 5 speeds. I usually run it pretty low when cutting maple to avoid burning it. Usually 13k rpm
Thanks. Looks like time for an upgrade....BTW, love Porter Cable, but it seems the bigger PC routers are currently unavailable at the usual outlets.....they only seem to have the smaller PC ones....might have to get one of those blue or yellow ones....

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Looks like time for an upgrade....BTW, love Porter Cable, but it seems the bigger PC routers are currently unavailable at the usual outlets.....they only seem to have the smaller PC ones....might have to get one of those blue or yellow ones....
‘I have 2 hand held routers. Most often I use the Dewalt. It’s a bit faster and easier changing out bits and general adjustments, plus it’s full variable speed, not fixed speeds

Latest Threads