Router bits burning wood.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
I used my sm top bearing bit in some MDF today. I noticed it doscolored the bit. So as I'm routing my control cavity the wood is burning in some spots no matter how slow I go. Is my bit ruined? Or can I clean it some way? Thanks

Kammo1

Reaction score
The burn marks are caused by either 2 things 1. a dull cutting edge or 2. you are dwelling too long in one area and need to get your speed right and move along quicker "NOT" slower. I'm guessing the latter is your problem ?. Hope it helps.

emoney

Reaction score
+1. Sharpen the edge and speed up the router. Maple is notorious for burning.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Thanks guys when I moved faster it was better ill have to get something to sharpen it with. Thanks again

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Take shallower passes with a sharp cutter. And make them faster if you can.
This is the reason why you take shallower passes.

And, no, higher RPMs will NOT help. That'll only make it worse.

I use a milling machine with solid carbide high helix end mills for my cavity routing.
I run at only about 2000 RPM and literally can NOT burn even hard sugar maple unless the cutter is so worn out that it won't cut soft plastics.

The faster the RPMs, the greater the heat management issues become.

JMV

Reaction score
Yep...need to move faster with a sharper bit. Those burns are from slower passes.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Ok thanks guys. The bit is practically new. It looked fine till I used it on MDF but it cuts fine just burned a little. I noticed as I moved slower it worsened so I picked up the pace a little and it helped. Is there a way to clean bits?
because his one is really dirty and is stained in spots. Thanks again guys.
Also on the credit card stone sharpeners which grit is best?

Jay Jillard

Reaction score
mdf is also just really bad on bits, so i generally use seperate bits for mdf vs hardwoods.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Yea it is! I'm not going to use those bits on MDF. I will probably get some different ones for it.

bruce bennett

Banned
Reaction score
routers with speed controls can help this also.. and yeah, I often buy duplicate bits for my "good woods" and MDf for template making.

As any machinist will tell you.. its all about "Feeds and Speeds"

I will clean my bits with "easy off" oven cleaner when they start to look like that and then sharpen them.. and oil the bearings often.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
I'm not sure it's the top hearing bits from stew Mac. Thanks Bruce I will clean it and sharpen it before next use. The only thing I have to rout on the body is the neck pocket.

Latest Threads