Router bit for secondary rout on control cavity?

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
Hello all ,I have a rough idea of the bit it will take to rout the secondary rout on the control cavity with the 8.5 degree template.
I used 3/4 mdf for the template and was wondering if I should have went with say 1/2 plywood to reduce cutter length?
Has anyone found the optimal bit dimensions for this procedure ?
I have a 31/2 hose power Hitachi plunge router so got the machine just looking for the best bit ?
I was thinking 3 1/2 long 1/2 shank 1/2 diameter down cut spiral bit sound like I’m in the ball park ?
Thanks Scott

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That is what I am using; a 1/2 shank, 1/2 cutter, 3 1/2 long with a quarter-inch thick template on 8.5-degree wedges. The shank just rides on the template.

ps, don't take to much off the bottom. Careful of your top thickness around the shaft hole.

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
Thanks Dave you have always been really good help and I appreciate it. This Bartlett print says nothing about final depth unless I’m missing something ?

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave you have always been really good help and I appreciate it. This Bartlett print says nothing about final depth unless I’m missing something ?
I'm really not certain on the final depth.

The man to really ask on this is @nuance97 . Daniel knows his stuff..

nuance97

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re looking for something in the neighborhood of 3/16” to 1/4” at the pot holes. Enough that a short-shaft potentiometer will stick through and give you threads to screw the nut onto (the threaded collar is 3/8” on a short shaft pot)

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
You’re looking for something in the neighborhood of 3/16” to 1/4” at the pot holes. Enough that a short-shaft potentiometer will stick through and give you threads to screw the nut onto (the threaded collar is 3/8” on a short shaft pot)
I made my gig with 3/4 inch mdf so your gig was 3/8 thickness so I will just add the difference. I actually got a depth from one of your posts but your gig was a little thinner.
Thanks Scott

Attachments

• 4A3E6318-A2BA-4E37-A054-87644062A8D0.jpeg
    4A3E6318-A2BA-4E37-A054-87644062A8D0.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 12

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Like Dave I also use a 1/4" template. Squeeze the most out of the bit....You want a good amount of shaft secured in the collet with a bit that long.

And BTW....a gig is where you go to play your guitar and get flashed by girls. Templates and fixtures for shop work are "jigs".

Not trying to bust your balls, but it made me smile when I saw that. I once had a drummer that had a girlfriend that always called a gig a jig....."freddy, is your girlfriend going to come to the jig tonight" :rofl:

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
Good to hear you ! Ha Ha I got a pretty good mechanical mind ,don’t know how I passed High School English . Thank goodness for trade school He He that’s funny.
A man that can’t laugh at himself once in a while is going to grave an unhappy man !!
For sure I am going to make another JIG that’s thinner I just got a lot of 3/4 mdf hanging around the shop.
What’s the secret to uploading photos on this site I’ve emailed them to myself and reduce the size sometimes they upload sometimes they don’t ?????
The guitar is coming together I’m going to employ you tenon JIG and get some work done on neck.
Maybe his girlfriend was Irish ,bet you didn’t think of that …..so you could say she was technically correct !!!!

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
My wife has informed me that my little joke about the words jig and gig that i am once again wrong as to the usage.
Thanks again for the advice on the secondary control pocket cut .

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Good to hear you ! Ha Ha I got a pretty good mechanical mind ,don’t know how I passed High School English . Thank goodness for trade school He He that’s funny.
A man that can’t laugh at himself once in a while is going to grave an unhappy man !!
For sure I am going to make another JIG that’s thinner I just got a lot of 3/4 mdf hanging around the shop.
What’s the secret to uploading photos on this site I’ve emailed them to myself and reduce the size sometimes they upload sometimes they don’t ?????
The guitar is coming together I’m going to employ you tenon JIG and get some work done on neck.
Maybe his girlfriend was Irish ,bet you didn’t think of that …..so you could say she was technically correct !!!!
I've had trouble uploading photos before... I think if you keep the largest dimension at 1600 pixels or under you're OK.

His girlfriend was either Polish or Ukrainian, but mine was Irish...so there might be something to that!

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife has informed me that my little joke about the words jig and gig that i am once again wrong as to the usage.

My wife never tells me my jokes are wrong, but she tells me almost every day that they're not funny.

Ridiculous! ;)

ScotttheScot

Reaction score
If you like “Dad” jokes Spotify has a podcast that’s nothing but dad jokes.
I can’t publish my other jokes if you know what I mean !!!
My wife after telling her a joke says “wait a minute I don’t get it “ then I say “for get it “I think she has selective ignorance !
Have a great day it’s beautiful up here in western NY !!!

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
Must be a wife thing. My daughters laugh at my jokes and my wife just looks at me with disappointment..

lee1964

Reaction score
Wait on…

A jig is a traditional Irish folk music staple.
Not to be confused with a reel, it’s all in the count.

Lee

Latest Threads