Routed my 71

Status
Not open for further replies.

truckermde

Reaction score
Sweet!

I love a P90 neck/ 'bucker bridge combo.

I don't get the backlash. Some folks act as if you'd painted a mustache on the Mona Lisa, FFS...

1981 LPC

Reaction score
I look at it like a mid-to-late-70's corvette that someone has had in the family forever with no intention of selling. They ran like ****, handled like ****, and will never be worth enough money to justify parting with over the sentimental value. So why not do a full suspension and engine conversion to make it usable instead of sitting in the garage collecting dust?
That's a flawed analogy. You just mentioned you play the Deluxe daily. There's also no way of telling it will never be worth enough money to justify parting with over the sentimental value.

Anyway - enjoy the guitar.

rumblebox

Reaction score
That's a flawed analogy. You just mentioned you play the Deluxe daily. There's also no way of telling it will never be worth enough money to justify parting with over the sentimental value.

Anyway - enjoy the guitar.

It didnt get played daily before. It never got played.

And theres no way in hell a run-of-the-mill deluxe would be worth 20k.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it!!! Looks cool....enjoy!!!

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
As someone who has restored and sold antiquities and collectibles for four decades I understand how this might irk some folks. I probably wouldn't do it in this case myself, or I just might. I've bought two early '70s Customs precisely because they had already been refinished so I wouldn't feel too bad about modding them. Although I didn't do anything radical to them.

I would like to point out though that radically changing a guitar of this type just makes those that are unmolested a little more valuable since in most cases it's about the numbers. So maybe think of it in that way.

Enjoy!

1969 weatherman

Reaction score
I just wanted it to sound like a Les Paul instead of a firebird or tele. In that aspect, I have achieved my goal.

my 69 deluxe is a killer axe and sounds every bit a les paul than my hum bucking les pauls..it is my #1 les paul. it has clear deep and articulate tone . when ever I am thinking maybe I should rout it I just plug it in and the thoughts go away.:fingersx:
as I understand it your deluxe didn't sound good to you so routing it made sense to you.
congrats!!!

agquake

Reaction score
It's not a vintage guitar if you go by the corret definition. Old, yes.

Secondly, it's a '71 Deluxe for heaven's sake. Great guitars, I love them and have two, but not hardly highly sought.

Lastly, the name of the man that this guitar bears was a notorious tinkerer / modifier of his guitars. If what rumble did to this specimen improved its sound or playability in any way, shape, or form, it was the right move, IMO.

rumblebox

Reaction score
my 69 deluxe is a killer axe and sounds every bit a les paul than my hum bucking les pauls..it is my #1 les paul. it has clear deep and articulate tone . when ever I am thinking maybe I should rout it I just plug it in and the thoughts go away.:fingersx:
as I understand it your deluxe didn't sound good to you so routing it made sense to you.
congrats!!!

Thats a 69 though. Still made by pre-norlin specs.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
actually no, just because it is a 69 does not mean it has "pre-Norlin" specs....the majority of 69 will NOT have pre-Norlin specs.

depends on what part of 1969 it was manufactured in.....by the end of 1969 the pancake was in full swing, short tenon, 3 piece neck, there are some volutes late, etc. etc.

The spec changes were put into place before the "Norlin" buy out.....

Minis sound great period...if you know how to use them for what they are and don't try to use them for what they are not.

You might route that 71 today, but see if you can find someone that will route that 1969 today??

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it Rumblebox. Routing gives that 71 a true 70's vibe. :)

Darth Mildly Grumpy

Reaction score
Ten years ago the internet was pretty much unanimous in the opinion that seventies Les Paul's were crap. Now they are precious historical artifacts to never be tampered with.

I don't care who you are, that's funny.

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originality is irrelevant if it sounded like crap.

*shrugs* Sounds like you're trying to justify it to me. People with nothing to defend, defend nothing.

Cyclave

Reaction score
I know the purists all hate the 'crime' you committed, but they don't know how nice a P90 in the neck with a Humbucker in the bridge is. The combination provides the best of both worlds. It's what has me eyeballing cheap Gibson Futuras.

Let's face it. Your guitar is nice, but it's not a collector's piece. If you did a good job with the woodwork and I were buying, the value went up.

Anyone who takes their time away from playing their own guitars in order to criticize a fellow player's calculated and preferred modifications is just sad.

Mayuiers

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For better or for worse, the guitars we own are our's to do with as we please. It was your right to route your Deluxe and no one here is challenging that fact. Equally, however, those who disagree with you have the right to point out why they wouldn't have done so.

All of that aside, it's somewhat absurd for anyone to leap into this forum and expect everyone to agree with your personal choices. Rather than railing against those who maintain a different opinion, wouldn't it be wiser to simply accept and appreciate that our little community doesn't need to agree on everything?

You're happy with your guitar. I'm fairly content with mine. In my book that's good enough.

69 Goldtop

Reaction score
The embossed GIBSON mini hum from 71-72 consistently
sounds better. To me now.......if someone has had a different
experience more power to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads