Round Core or Hex Core Strings on your Les Paul?

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I use D'Aaddario XLs which are hex-wound, evidently. I did not know that until right now. These pics are from their website.
d2c_xl_corecampaign_th_icon_roundwound.png

ds_tech_highlight_feature_round_wound_2884x1742.jpg

GermHerm

Reaction score
Well, I use different strings (hex, round, Nickel, pure Nickel) on different guitars. It depends on the instrument and its spectral behaviour. Suppliers in use: Kurt Mangan, Ernie Ball, Gibson, Pyramid, GHS.
Tip: Buy 5-6 different sets and do a test. Play a set for one day, then change it. It is amazing how different an instrument will sound.

Last edited:

TheWelder

Reaction score
I've gone back and forth. I played DRs (round core) for years and really enjoyed how long they lasted. But I do like the snap and brightness of a good hex core. I'm currently playing hex core, really doesn't matter to me which brand as long as the gauges are correct.

Archtopanimal

Reaction score
I've tried all sorts of constructions . Round core sound flat and indistinct in most Brands except TI , but they're expensive .
Then there's silk wrap , before metal wrapping .......... At the end of the day it's more a case of pickups , amp and the ability to play .

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
Elixir Nanoweb 9-42 on my LPs and SG. Only thing that is keeping me from going down to 8s is the fact that Elixir doesn’t make them. Anyone know of a brand that feels like Elixir but comes in 8s?

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
...if a Bigsby is installed it is generally recommended to use Round Core.
They tend to be more stable than Hex Core and don't break as easily.
You tend to lose the snappiness that Hex Core tends to provide.

Jorbissian

Reaction score
I've done both on and off for my 40- ish + years.

I prefer the hex cores for a few reasons. YMMV.
I've always used D'addario 9-46 XL's now I use the NYXL version, I found they stay in tune better than others, of course you need good hardware to achieve this.

msalama

Reaction score
Both. GHS Boomers 009-042s or 010-046s for lead, EB Not Even Slinky 012-056s for rhythm.

Latest Threads