Round Core or Hex Core Strings on your Les Paul?

1956tvmodel

Reaction score
After 40 yers of playing I just recently realized there is a tone difference between round core and hex core guitar strings. Ive been using round core GHS strings forever but recently Guitar Center was out of stock on them so I picked up some Ernie Ball 009-046 Super Slinky in the meantime. I strung up my Les Paul and noticed 2 things right away. The notes were alot more clear and the guitar felt much stiffer to play. After doing some research I realized this is characteristic of Hex Core strings. The round core are more mellow sounding and easier to play. So now im torn between the two. Just curious what people on here use? Thanks

jbash

Reaction score
I've done both on and off for my 40- ish + years.

I prefer the hex cores for a few reasons. YMMV.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still use these…always have
depending On the guitar, I may use 10s or 11s

9B580F9F-1411-4A00-A691-53C845404C7C.jpeg

-chris

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I like round core, pure nickel wrap,-- especially the Curt Mangan brand. They are the most playable, and if there is any loss in treble and upper mids, it should be subject to correction with the EQ on your amp and/or your FX.

truckermde

Reaction score
I guess hex, for me.

I mostly play Slinky 10s.

I've got a set of ClearTones on my PRS, and they're excellent, too. I dig 'em, and they're supposed to last a long time. Might take me a while to verify that as the only guitar I play is my Lester. Doesn't say what shape the core is...

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I buy round wound for the tonz. hard to find at mo over here. I am using 8's at mo so kinda impossible on that basis, so using earnie ball hex core pure nickel wrap 8's which i believe are hex core.

AJK1

Reaction score
I use Ernie Ball Pure Nickel on my R9 60th
All other electrics Regular Slinky’s
Everything 10-46

JMP

Reaction score
I like to switch up brands and gauges occasionally- keeps things interesting. Lately, I’ve been really liking GHS Boomers 9-42 on both my Les Pauls.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mostly round core. Pyramid Nickel Classics.
Yes the round core wound strings are not so loud and bright as hex core, but pickup adjustment helps.

gball

Reaction score
GHS Boomers, which I suppose are round core but don't really know for sure. I've tried everything there is out there over the years and the Boomers are just the best overall strings I have run across.

Reactions: JMP

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
GHS Boomers, which I suppose are round core but don't really know for sure. I've tried everything there is out there over the years and the Boomers are just the best overall strings I have run across.
1631716733332.png

neoclassical

Reaction score
I'd go back to round core pure nickel strings if I could get them in 8's, but I used to love the DR Pure Blues.

PageSide84

Reaction score
I go between Throback Nickel hex cores, Rotosound Pure Nickels and Gibson Vintage Reissues.

moreles

Reaction score
Hex core for me. Round core can feel a little more supple, but the unreliability and loss of physical snap and articulation are not for me. Machine-made hex core strings are the positive exception to my tendency to gravitate to handmade, fussier gear. Give me the consistency and accuracy of robots wrapping hex wire, please. I can see using round core, and pure nickel for retro applications where you want to sound like someone playing, well, round core and nickel strings.

RocketKing

Reaction score
I've just switched to pure nickel round core after years of always playing hex core.
The usual brands :
Ernie ball, d'addario, Gibson, elixir in 10/46.
Just put on DR pure blues 10/52 on my les paul and the initial impressions are good.
I also put a set of pyramid classics 11 specials on my Strat. But I need to reset it.
Plus the strings were already oxidized when I got them out of the pack.
A bit disappointing as I don't think that's normal although it's true this is my first experience with these strings.
I've got a set of rotosound pure nickel 10/46 inbound and I'll use those on my ES 339.
Im curious to see how these sets work out.
I've also got some Pyramid Monels in 10/46 waiting to be tried out.

hisasahisasaki

Reaction score
When I started playing the guitar (in the late 1970s), the Ernie Ball strings were fragile and I had long avoided them. (Although other manufacturers may not have made a big difference)
However, recent Ernie Ball RPS strings have very strong plain strings. I wonder when I should change the strings lol
If I want a bluesy / jazzy tone, I prefer GHS Nickel Rockers.
GHS Vintage Bronze is my favorite for acoustic guitars.

Latest Threads