didnt see a cart to buy some?? never heard of em

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
They are made in bulk in Korea.

jbash

Reaction score
On a serious note- if you are looking for a budget set of pickups- Tonerider is tough to beat. Great tones out of the box and very responsive to magswaps. Due to the crazy scatterwinding they are more complex sounding than most of the big name USA production line pickups that have last names starting with "D"..

monty john

Reaction score
On a serious note- if you are looking for a budget set of pickups- Tonerider is tough to beat. Great tones out of the box and very responsive to magswaps. Due to the crazy scatterwinding they are more complex sounding than most of the big name USA production line pickups that have last names starting with "D"..
where are the Tonriders made??? hhmmm

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Due to the crazy scatterwinding they are more complex sounding than most of the big name USA production line pickups that have last names starting with "D"..
That's not how scatter winding works.

I'm not saying you're wrong about the difference in sound. I've never heard them and have no idea which is more or less complex sounding.

Just that scatter winding doesn't increase complexity of sound.

It reduces capacitance and increases DCR for a given number of turns. Less capacitance, because the turns aren't laying right next to each other and more DCR because it takes a longer length of wire to go around every turn and the coil size grows faster, when the wire isn't laid down neatly.

Hand wound (or otherwise heavy scatter wound) coils are usually less complex sounding than otherwise similar machine wound coils, in which the coil shapes, tensions, TPL, buildup, etc. can be used to alter the voicing of each coil in very specific ways. It's several other qualities of the Dunc@n and D!Marzio pickups you mention that make them sound plain and uninteresting.

Again, not favoring any brand here or disagreeing on the whole sound of those pickups, which I've never heard, just clarifying about how scatter winding impacts the sound of any given coil.

jbash

Reaction score
That's not how scatter winding works.

I'm not saying you're wrong about the difference in sound. I've never heard them and have no idea which is more or less complex sounding.

Just that scatter winding doesn't increase complexity of sound.

It reduces capacitance and increases DCR for a given number of turns. Less capacitance, because the turns aren't laying right next to each other and more DCR because it takes a longer length of wire to go around every turn and the coil size grows faster, when the wire isn't laid down neatly.

Hand wound (or otherwise heavy scatter wound) coils are usually less complex sounding than otherwise similar machine wound coils, in which the coil shapes, tensions, TPL, buildup, etc. can be used to alter the voicing of each coil in very specific ways. It's several other qualities of the Dunc@n and D!Marzio pickups you mention that make them sound plain and uninteresting.

Again, not favoring any brand here or disagreeing on the whole sound of those pickups, which I've never heard, just clarifying about how scatter winding impacts the sound of any given coil.
Thank you for the clarification James- so what would say re: this on their website

TR said:
DESIGN NOTES
The Alnico II Classic began life as a custom OEM order for a high-end UK guitar company, and we worked with their techs to get the wind just right. Cries of “more scatter!” were heard over and over again, until we got down to less than 30 turns per layer for the neck and bridge pickups – about half the number of turns per layer on vintage PAFs, but much more in line with the current best in class handwound PAF clones.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
To me, it sounds like they are just talking about personal preference for sound in the first half of the quote.

In the second half, it shows they know little about PAF coils with that TPL figure. There isn't only one TPL for PAF coils but the one they choose to state isn't "about half" of one I've ever seen.

Then they refer to "handwound PAF clones" which is an oxymoron.

So, there you go. If you're going to pin me to analyzing an individual quote, rather than generalizing about winding technique as I was trying to: Personal preference, misinformation, and nonsense. In that order.

jbash

Reaction score
To me, it sounds like they are just talking about personal preference for sound in the first half of the quote.

In the second half, it shows they know little about PAF coils with that TPL figure. There isn't only one TPL for PAF coils but the one they choose to state isn't "about half" of one I've ever seen.

Then they refer to "handwound PAF clones" which is an oxymoron.

So, there you go. If you're going to pin me to analyzing an individual quote, rather than generalizing about winding technique as I was trying to: Personal preference, misinformation, and nonsense. In that order.
Please don't feel I was trying to put you on a spot. Genuinely curious what you're feelings were on the matter.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I had a set of their humbuckers that came stock in a import BC Rich. I thought they were terrible.

tzd

Reaction score
They are used in a number of Harley Benton guitars sold by Thomann.

You can see some reviews here:

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
OK, so I think I will stay off from them. :) Toneriders are great pickups. I think I will give them a try. Lots of positive reviews all over the internet.

AJK1

Reaction score
Such BS

jbash

Reaction score
Please explain.

FWIW- I've owned roughly 30 sets of Duncan pickups since 1981. That does not include all the little one off bridge or neck pickups I've bouyght here and there.

Dimarzios, considerably less, but still a fair number- 10-12 sets.

How many set of Duncans have you owned? And please don't count your custom shop PG pickups- I'm not talking handiwork by MJ or Seymour for 2-3x the price. Which models?

How many Dimarzios? What models?

How many Toneriders? And what models

Tone is subjective, but oneRiders are just as good/better for 1/2 the cost of anything that Duncan or Dimrzio makes when it comes to "PAF" style pickups in the production lineup (which is kind of sad, really)

Last edited:

LP1865

Reaction score
They are used in a number of Harley Benton guitars sold by Thomann.
^This.
They seem ok, but most people tend to replace them. Toneriders, GFS and Irongear seem to be other options you could (and should!) consider.

Latest Threads