Rosewood from japan.

danlunatic

Reaction score
Looks like we may have a problem with rosewood.
This warning popped up while I was browsing.
Screenshot_20210304-231932_Chrome.jpg

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, has japan changed their laws on rosewood? as the international restrictions on musical instruments have been dropped, excepting Brazilian of course. Or a case of a web site managed by people who don't understand the law?

Subterfuge

Reaction score
I don't think they understand English too well either, very unclear as to the actual laws

danlunatic

Reaction score
I think it's a case of the second, they don't understand the law. I went through it with buyee and now it's spreading.

JohnInNJ

Reaction score
It seems to be a case of if they see a word referring to any wood, they believe that wood is banned. That's going to be a problem for them if they see mahogany or maple in any guitar descriptions.

currypowder

Reaction score
There are other warnings that pop up on FromJapan from time to time. The most common is if the work "oil" is in an item's description, like "paper in oil capacitor". I've purchased guitars with these warning without issue. That's not saying that won't change in the future. But to me it looks like a CYA type warning.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I think the warning is just in case it's Brazillian rosewood. And provided it's not then it's ok for you to buy it and have it shipped. I get warnings on FromJapan and Jauce if the word "rosewood" is in the description, and yes for the word "oil". And every once in awhile about batteries and I don't see what in the description caused that warning to pop up.

danlunatic

Reaction score
I think the warning is just in case it's Brazillian rosewood. And provided it's not then it's ok for you to buy it and have it shipped. I get warnings on FromJapan and Jauce if the word "rosewood" is in the description, and yes for the word "oil". And every once in awhile about batteries and I don't see what in the description caused that warning to pop up.
I've definitely seen the oil one before, never the rosewood though.
I thought it might be new. Maybe not.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I guess the smart thing to do would be to ask FromJapan about it if it's something you want to bid on. The way they word it is kind of confusing.

Hydra19

Reaction score
Buyee have also added ebony and mahogany to their problematic woods category. Apparantely it cannot be guaranteed that shipping will be allowed. Crazy as a lot of guitars will have ebony, mahogany or rosewood and we have all been receiving guitars with all 3 woods from Japan without problems.....just adds to the confusion!

currypowder

Reaction score
Buyee have also added ebony and mahogany to their problematic woods category. Apparantely it cannot be guaranteed that shipping will be allowed. Crazy as a lot of guitars will have ebony, mahogany or rosewood and we have all been receiving guitars with all 3 woods from Japan without problems.....just adds to the confusion!
I can't imagine why anyone would use Buyee for guitars after reading some of the nightmares some members have had with them lately. So far, I have not seen any real explanation on why they are being so restrictive.

I've had zero issues with FromJapan. Of course, they block anything with Brazilian or Hacaranda/Jacaranda in the description, but that's to be expected. And they give a CYA warning for certain words in listing (rosewood/oil/batteries) but I have personally had no shipping problems when correctly ignoring those warnings.

danlunatic

Reaction score
I can confirm this. Just happened to me.

Latest Threads