Rookie cop takes heat for arresting off-duty officer

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Skin, you're missing it. You cant compare an employee meal at mcdonalds to a LE job, either. I'd LOVE to compare my job to, OH , I DUNNO, maybe a wall st banker who take home my yearly salary in christmas bonus. Am I entitled to any of that? Of course not. And the perks you're talking about EVERYONE is entitled to when it comes to summonsing. Its officers discretion, nothing more. You MUST allow LEOs discretion in summons writing or there will be a whole lot of people getting needlessly hammered.

What I'm about to say is going to piss the cops here off, perhaps, but I think that cops should be unable to get out of a ticket at all.

I cotton to the idea that it isn't enough to not entertain a conflict of interest. Even the appearance of a conflict of interest must be avoided, and that means that if the officer is caught breaking the law, he cannot avail himself of a warning.

The perception that a law-enforcement professional is enjoying favored treatment, whether that perception is right or wrong, is corrosive to justice.

And if that means I don't get warnings, but tickets only, that's fair enough. If I break the law, I've earned the punishment, and I'll take my medicine.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What I'm about to say is going to piss the cops here off, perhaps, but I think that cops should be unable to get out of a ticket at all.

I cotton to the idea that it isn't enough to not entertain a conflict of interest. Even the appearance of a conflict of interest must be avoided, and that means that if the officer is caught breaking the law, he cannot avail himself of a warning.

The perception that a law-enforcement professional is enjoying favored treatment, whether that perception is right or wrong, is corrosive to justice.

And if that means I don't get warnings, but tickets only, that's fair enough. If I break the law, I've earned the punishment, and I'll take my medicine.

This is fine, but you must do away with discretionary summonsing. You may not hold an off duty police officer to a higher standard going down the road to any higher standard as any other law abiding citizen. Wifes in labor? Still speeding, meet you at the hospital. Mom just died? Shoulda signaled that turn, too bad I no longer have discretion. Clean license and made a mistake? Summons just the same. The states legislators don't want it like this, and frankly most other people don't, either.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
This is fine, but you must do away with discretionary summonsing. You may not hold an off duty police officer to a higher standard going down the road to any higher standard as any other law abiding citizen. Wifes in labor? Still speeding, meet you at the hospital. Mom just died? Shoulda signaled that turn, too bad I no longer have discretion. Clean license and made a mistake? Summons just the same. The states legislators don't want it like this, and frankly most other people don't, either.

Understood, so long as when scandals like Rampart happen, those cops get prosecuted to the fullest extent, and any cop caught covering up is penalized for perjury.

Using the badge to cover up a crime should be a special consideration for prosecutorial and sentencing decisions.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Understood, so long as when scandals like Rampart happen, those cops get prosecuted to the fullest extent, and any cop caught covering up is penalized for perjury.

Using the badge to cover up a crime should be a special consideration for prosecutorial and sentencing decisions.

There are appropriate charges SPECIFICALLY dealing with official misconduct.

Thundergod

Reaction score
Why was he driving while drunk?

As a policeman he should know better.

Authority figures should set the standard by which citizens act, they should be an example.

So he should not have been jailed? So politicians who steal billions should not be judged either? But the average joe fails to send his tax report and goes to jail?

The wonders of western civilization. :applause:

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Why was he driving while drunk?

As a policeman he should know better.

Authority figures should set the standard by which citizens act, they should be an example.

So he should not have been jailed? So politicians who steal billions should not be judged either? But the average joe fails to send his tax report and goes to jail?

The wonders of western civilization. :applause:

There is a standard of evidence that must be met in order to be charged. This must apply for EVERYONE. You can't wait for an alleged drunk driver to get home, knock on his door some time after, see he's drunk and arrest him. Hey I may be drunk TODAY but that's hardly evidence I drove drunk yesterday, or even an hour ago. How you are tying this in to tax evasion escapes me.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
There are appropriate charges SPECIFICALLY dealing with official misconduct.

Indeed. The problem is, witnesses to those crimes are often policemen themselves, and, as noted above, the code of silence is still a matter of concern. That means that although there are crimes on the books directed specifically at abuse of authority, they cannot often be prosecuted, for lack of support.

To be fair, the problem in the LAPD seems to be getting better.

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love the way you are oh so certain that the story is bullshit when all you have to go on is one article provided here. Do you live in the Toronto area? Do you see our daily news? If you did you would know that this story is being reported all over the place (not from one source as you claimed), that the police themselves have admitted that the harassment took place, and that other officers have been disciplined because of it.

The fact is that you don't know shit from shineola about this case so try reading some of these links before forming an opinion:

Toronto News: Rookie cop takes heat for arresting off-duty officer - thestar.com

Toronto News: Toronto police union decries officers protecting their own - thestar.com

TheSpec - Toronto police union decries officers protecting...

Cop takes flak for arresting fellow officer | CTV Toronto

Cop probed for harassing 'rats' | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

A black day for the men in blue | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Toronto cop "harassed and berated" for arresting drunk-driving officer | OpenFile

Rookie cop ‘harassed and berated’ after arresting off-duty officer | Metro

Colchar, you got me. In all honesty, I'm not oh so certain. Just a feeling I have, and I wanted to give my opinion. I will admit, that I don't put a lot of stock in news links getting facts correctly.

The arrest just sounds shady to me. The harrassment claim seems like a bit of a sideshow to me, as it would have never came to be if the arrest wasn't so bizarre in the first place.

By the way Colchar, you are an obviously smart and well versed guy. It is possible to get your point across without belittling people. I've seen you do it.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Colchar, you got me. In all honesty, I'm not oh so certain. Just a feeling I have, and I wanted to give my opinion. I will admit, that I don't put a lot of stock in news links getting facts correctly.

The arrest just sounds shady to me. The harassment claim seems like a bit of a sideshow to me, as it would have never came to be if the arrest wasn't so bizarre in the first place.

By the way Colchar, you are an obviously smart and well versed guy. It is possible to get your point across without belittling people. I've seen you do it.
Hey Caleb. In the world of internet communication, I know sometimes messages get distorted (perfect descriptor for a guitar forum, no?:)) when communicating on forums. I in no way wanted to start an attack on LEOs or your profession. I work along side fine cops at my school and have a great friendship with a SF officer. I suppose it's just the abuse of power that bugged me with this story. If it means anything, I am far more angered when I hear that a teacher got away with abuse without any serious consequence.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
The arrest just sounds shady to me. The harrassment claim seems like a bit of a sideshow to me, as it would have never came to be if the arrest wasn't so bizarre in the first place.

But the arrest is not bizarre. It was a perfectly legitimate arrest and the only issue here was the harassment of the arresting officer.

A valid point. Outside stresses have affected my posting to the point that I have considered taking a short break because that stress is manifesting itself in posts.

Latest Threads