Ronald McDonald should retire?

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
Hey, Ronald McDonald, it may be time to retire.

Nearly half of Americans polled want the kid-friendly, French-fry chomping icon to call it quits, arguing he contributes to the country's growing obesity epidemic by luring youngsters to fast food joints.

"This clown is no friend to our children or their health," said Deborah Lapidus of Corporate Accountability International, a group that sponsored the poll and protests outside McDonald's around the country.

"He is a deep-fried Joe Camel for the 21st century," she said.

Many of those surveyed had favorable feelings about red-headed Ronald, yet 47% thought it was time for him to go.

But a protest outside McDonald's in Times Square Wednesday didn't sour kids on Ronald.

"He's getting old, but I like Ronald," said 13-year-old Rosemary Frias of the Bronx, who was eager to munch on chicken nuggets and fries. Ditching Ronald, she said, won't "stop kids from getting fat."

Still, fat-fighters and health experts argue Ronald subverts parents' authority by being so attractive to kids.

"It's not acceptable to market unhealthy products to children, and I think the retirement of Ronald McDonald would be a step in the right direction," said Nicholas Freudenberg, a public health professor at Hunter College.

Ronald McDonald dates back to 1966 when the mascot appeared in a series of national TV commercials - and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. The national chain said there are no plans for him to retire.

"Ronald McDonald is a beloved brand ambassador for McDonald's," read a company response to the poll results and protest.

Read more: Corporate Accountability International poll shows Ronald McDonald contributes to obesity epidemic

Corporate Accountability International poll shows Ronald McDonald contributes to obesity epidemic

Discuss....

05jrock

Reaction score
Funny how Ronald isnt a lard arse.
Must be the exercise he gets from chasing Hamburgler.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
People need to learn to tell their kids "No" once in a while.

jomo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the original RM got fired because he had gotten kinda fat. Pretty ironic.
Anyway Micky D's has gotten big enough that it probably wouldn't matter. I think a lot of people are becoming more conscientious about what they stuff in their pie hole, clown or no clown. I know we don't eat fast food at all anymore (since my wife found out she has celiac disease) anyway.

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the original RM got fired because he had gotten kinda fat. Pretty ironic.
Anyway Micky D's has gotten big enough that it probably wouldn't matter. I think a lot of people are becoming more conscientious about what they stuff in their pie hole, clown or no clown. I know we don't eat fast food at all anymore (since my wife found out she has celiac disease) anyway.

You don't see Ronald that much anymore. I don't eat there that much anymore either. Erin likes the chicken sandwiches from the dollar menu. I get her a few every now and then.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
406151_f520.jpg

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

WhippingPost

Reaction score
The way I see it is this: Ronald may be "luring" the tots into Mickey D's, but who's driving them there, paying for the meal, and making the kid finish the whole thing before he plays with his toy.

People need to stop blaming others for their own failures in life.

Dan

Reaction score
With less people doing the parenting they are supposed to be doing, they are now forcing the responsibility on society like a bunch of children. I hate people sometimes.

Thundergod

Reaction score
You know what I don't get? People gettin' all worked up about how fast food kills you and makes you a lardass and then you see them going in there and taking their children in with them.

As some bright guy says, vote with your wallet. If you think they are that bad, don't buy from them.

I LMFAO that time some fatsos sued McDonalds and blamed them for their obesity. Fuckers probably only wanted to win so they'd had 10´000.000 each to go and spend at the nearest McDonalds :laugh2:

I eat there a lot, I just love fast food, I admit I have a fast food adiction and it's not a good thing, but do you see me whining and treatening them with lawsuits and stuff?

Thundergod

Reaction score
The way I see it is this: Ronald may be "luring" the tots into Mickey D's, but who's driving them there, paying for the meal, and making the kid finish the whole thing before he plays with his toy.

People need to stop blaming others for their own failures in life.

:thumb:

Thanks!

brianugly

Reaction score
Here's a great idea, tell the fat kids parents to cook for their damn kids, and teach them to play outside. I say let Ronald keep his job:)

Damien

Reaction score
Yeah, we should definitely get rid of Ronnie. Look at the damage he does to America!
While we're at it, the logo for Fox News has to go too! That logo drugs Americans into being un-intelligent, gun-crazy dolts. Get rid of that evil logo!
And Captain Morgan! That vile pirate has been selling his spiced rum to Americans, and just look at all the car accidents that have resulted from drunk driving! GET RID OF THE CARTOON PIRATE! IT'S ALL HIS FAULT!

Well, I think I've voiced my opinion.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
One of my pals in high school stole a full size Ronald McDonald and put it in his room...his monkey loved it.

CenCalPlayer

Reaction score
Proof positive to the dumbing down of America.....blame a cartoon character for being a shitty parent, and actually believe it....geesh!!

V!N

Reaction score
Watching this video still is the best 5:19 minutes of my life: :thumb:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q16KpquGsIc]YouTube - Ronald McDonald insanity[/ame]

HARDWEAR

Reaction score
Watching this video still is the best 5:19 minutes of my life: :thumb:

YouTube - Ronald McDonald insanity

What a crock of shit....Like others have said...cook for your kids sometimes, or get a healthy sammy from Subway sometimes...and keep soda away from them. Play with your kids OUTSIDE once in a while. Be an F'in parent for once.

I don't know how much more of this shit I can take. What has happened to this country???

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
McDonald is working for healthier food & new image

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTTdGx_-aGU]YouTube - McDonald's Girl Song[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UKLncvGxQ8&feature=related[/ame]

Latest Threads