Reaction score
Logo looks crooked.

FF96EEEE-6E6A-4CFA-9D62-F033B267A206.jpeg

I wonder how old this is,

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn I want that!

Roman made some great stuff, and I tried to win his MLP special raffle guitar.

Damn fine '59!

mdubya

Reaction score
I am glad this is just about a guitar for sale.

And not bad news, or a stolen guitar, or unanswered phones calls/email/text messages, and undelivered work.

I like Roman. I hope all is well.

redking

Reaction score
I am glad this is just about a guitar for sale.

And not bad news, or a stolen guitar, or unanswered phones calls/email/text messages, and undelivered work.

I like Roman. I hope all is well.
Typical traits of the "in demand - one man show repair guy / guru builder". I'm dealing with an electronics repair guy like this right now - has had my pair of Urei LA-4 Compressors since late August and no guarantee when he will even open the box to look at them. When I contacted him about the work this summer he said "ya, no problem I can get them done by September" lol ya, right! You just sit and wait and hope he doesn't get hit by a train before he gets to your order - lol!

I definitely miss Roman's contributions to the luthier forum and if I ever saw one of his Workhorse guitars come up for sale, I would probably buy it.

mdubya

Reaction score
This guitar looks like famous Slash's Appetite copy. Wasn't Roman Rist the guy who built that replica?

It does, and no, Roman did not build the Appetite guitar (which was only used on overdubs, by the way).

redking

Reaction score
This guitar looks like famous Slash's Appetite copy. Wasn't Roman Rist the guy who built that replica?
No but kindof associated with that scene back in the day. Kris Derrig built "the" appetite LP, and Slash also had another LP built by Max Baranet at the time. Roman used to work alongside or share shop space with Max I think.

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
Did he use his BC Rich on the main tracking parts?

An SG and a Jackson Firebird, as I understand it.

The Derrig came into play when he sold the other guitars for drug $$$$$ and their manager bought the Derrig to finish the overdubs.

big_jackson__fire.jpg

redking

Reaction score
An SG and a Jackson Firebird, as I understand it.

The Derrig came into play when he sold the other guitars for drug $$$$$ and their manager bought the Derrig to finish the overdubs.

big_jackson__fire.jpg
Probably one of the best moments of happenstance in Slash's career - Imagine if he was playing a pointy Jackson on those solos in the studio and later on stage in 86, 87, 88 - I wonder if he would have been nearly as recognizable playing a generic guitar for the time with a Floyd on it doing whammy bar dives instead of guttural sleaze rock guitar riffs and licks?

mdubya

Reaction score
Probably one of the best moments of happenstance in Slash's career - Imagine if he was playing a pointy Jackson on those solos in the studio and later on stage in 86, 87, 88 - I wonder if he would have been nearly as recognizable playing a generic guitar for the time with a Floyd on it doing whammy bar dives instead of guttural sleaze rock guitar riffs and licks?

The real genius of GnR is seen under Axl's arm in that photo. ;) :naughty:

redking

Reaction score
The real genius of GnR is seen under Axl's arm in that photo. ;) :naughty:
Indeed - I have always said that myself. Once Izzy left, it was no longer GNR. The songs that used to flow out of them with great ease at rehearsal suddenly dried up and what did come out was very contrived and arguably a caricature of themselves. The handful of decent UYI tunes were in fact leftovers from this earlier fruitful era where Izzy had a great deal of involvement in the process. The rest of the material on UYI was truly the antithesis of what made them fresh and exciting and dangerous on AFD.

Latest Threads