Roller Bridges and Nuts !

TradPro2

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
A couple of years ago I happened to see an advertisement for a roller bridge for only $29, I figured that is pretty cheap so why not try it out. Duh, each string riding over its own axel roller, what a good idea thought I, installed it and the more I thought about it the more the obvious advantages hit me and so I bought a roller nut, same individual axel and roller for each string. I had the tech at my local Guitar Center install it, he said the stock nut popped right out and when he measured to get the same fretboard to string clearance he found he had to mill off just a tiny bit of the metal bottom of the new roller nut, otherwise it fit perfectly. No fretboard wood is disturbed and removal is as easy as just lifting it out. I am writing to say how surprised I was when it came to just tuning, how smoothly and with no lubing, no binding in the nut slots because no string round getting trapped. Bends return instantly and in tune for same no "stickshun" issue. OK, I just flat out love having a roller nut especially, and the roller bridge also even though string sticking with non roller bridges is not so much an issue as the nut is, the theory and practice is the same.
So am I nuts, why don't I hear, read, about anyone else converting to rollers? Damn, every guitar should have both, ok maybe not the cheapies? The bridge was $29, the roller nut was $40, come on the way we modify our guitars the cost is really nothing. Ever thought about this? If I could find a roller nut for my acoustic I would convert immediately.
roller nut.jpg

sk8rat

Reaction score
I'd consider it if I had a bigsby but I have no issues as they are.

Reactions: Who

Juan Wayne

Reaction score
I'd consider it if I had a bigsby but I have no issues as they are.
I have no issue with any bridge or nut on any guitar either, especially since I started filing and lubing them all. I understand how everything rolling would solve pretty much any tuning issues, but proper setup and filing will get you there as well.

Now, I do have a TonePros roller bridge on my only Bigsby equipped guitar, and I can't understand how anyone can use a Bigsby without a roller bridge. It makes no sense at all.

Axis39

Reaction score
I have a roller bridge on one of my Bigsby'd Gretsches. My other has a Space Control bridge. I love it, but read all these guys bitching about how they 'kill sustain'. Whatever. Never noticed that issue, myself.

I like the roller bridge I have. It works really well with the Bigsby. But, I can't see a need for it on a non trem guitar. I bend all the time, but like @dffdff, the rest of my nuts and bridges are slotted and lubed and I have no tuning issues with them at all.

I am glad you like it! Sounds like you have found a great solution for your needs!

RRfireblade

Reaction score
I've never had tuning issues I couldn't fix but if you like it go for it. My only experience with them is sometimes, overtime, they start to rattle. I generally stick to the more moving Parts the more potential problems, keep it simple.

DB Chuckster

Reaction score
Bought the ‘01 Standard in my avatar online. I know... The high E fell off the neck all the time and I don’t know who cut the bridge slots but it wasn’t right. Found the Schaller adjustable roller bridge that allows adjustment for string spacing and all is well.

Latest Threads