Rode NT5 for my home studio?

Neffco

Premium Member
Reaction score
Looking for a matched pair of condenser mics for overheads on drums. Probably use them live once a year but mainly studio use. I’ll use them on occasion for acoustic stuff too. So many choices. I’m looking to stay around the 300$ mark for a pair.

redking

Reaction score
Looking for a matched pair of condenser mics for overheads on drums. Probably use them live once a year but mainly studio use. I’ll use them on occasion for acoustic stuff too. So many choices. I’m looking to stay around the 300$ mark for a pair.
Check out this Sterling audio small condenser pair

Or you could get a pair of AT 2020's

Neffco

Premium Member
Reaction score
Starting to veer towards an sm81 and add a second one later. Hard telling, not knowing on these types of purchases.

Zungle

Reaction score
Now harder to find, but I love the Crown CM700's.......very cool versatile mics.

Neffco

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep. Sm81. Bought one, waiting for the right deal to pick up another. I was impressed with how well the one worked on the kit. They are a little more than what I originally wanted to spend but worth it.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Rode makes good stuff. Had a Videomic for years.

Thinking of getting the new NTG for video work.

Norton

Reaction score
Nt5 is hands down a more useful mic than an sm81.

Sm81’s are hyped in the top end and prone to exaggerating the kind of issues most non-ideal rooms suffer from.

If you don’t want to spend $$$$ on sdc mics you’ll be hard pressed to do better than the rode.

Neffco

Premium Member
Reaction score
Got both sm81’s hooked up. They are perfect for me.

I’ve got all 7 of my mics running into the interface as well as a di off the bass amp. We are able to record our live practice sessions with very minimal bleeding. I could track a new vocal, guitar or bass easily without noticing the original track. The SM7 is the only mic with significant bleed from all the instruments.

I’m glad I spent the money on my mic locker. The results are nice (for me) clean recordings. Now I’ll be moving to the semi sound proof/ acoustic treatment room.

Latest Threads