Rocksmith 2014!

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I visited my 32 year old son a few weeks ago. Short story. He plays bass guitar. Anyway, he had to show me. He set up Rocksmith. Was I amazed. It's a great tool. I watched his fingers up and down the neck. He does have what it takes. I told him to shut his eyes and play. That's the trick. He's close. :dude:

revtime

Reaction score
Bobby “Blue” Bland “Ain’t No Love In The Heart Of The City”
Freddie King “Hide Away”
Howlin’ Wolf “Spoonful” – E Standard: A446
John Lee Hooker “Boom Boom”
Johnny Winter “Be Careful With A Fool”

This is epic. I am gonna be out of the office for a while.

GalacticaActual

Reaction score
What a great thread (and community)! I have just begun playing guitar with the aid of Rocksmith 2014, with about a week under my belt, and boy, are my fingers sore! Every aspect is a challenge at this point, from skipping to the right string, to fretting, to chord shapes. I'm seeing incremental progress, so I am motivated to keep learning. I truly view RS as a learning tool, as opposed to a game. As such, knowing that I would want to be able to read tabs later to learn songs, I inverted the string placement in the options menu so that low E is on bottom and high e is on top. That's one thing I think that should have been default from the beginning. It's a little counter-intuitive, but I'm getting the hang of it.

My set up at home is a little odd, but interesting: I have a guitar capable of stereo output, an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra-III, and have the Nanomag pickup going into the game, with analog audio going out to the AUX IN on my amp and my humbuckers going into the amp as normal.

It may sound weird, but one of the biggest obstacles for me is deciding how to hold the guitar! The feel is so different between playing with the body on my right leg vs. the body between my legs with the neck angled higher. The latter allows me to see the strings better to fret the notes and establish chord shapes, while the former is easier for me to fret and pick the intended string without looking.

Session mode is awesome! I honestly believe that could be a stand-alone program worth spending money on for a guitarist. I'm glad it's a part of RS2014.

Frankg11

Reaction score
gallaticaActual...

Great Handle for starters.

Second if you have a strap standup. Set the guitar where it feels good. There is a strap lesson in Rs. Then sit down. Play the guitar in that configuration. After time you will be standing up to play..

The length of the strap should be adjusted to mimick where the guitar is when you are sitting down so the guitar does not Change orientation when you stand up. At least too much.

I was a sitter for a long time. Now I stand all the time. If I am in riff repeat and trying to nail a passage then I sit for a bit. But not too often any more.

Have fun it's a great tool

ben.jammin

Reaction score
Bobby “Blue” Bland “Ain’t No Love In The Heart Of The City”
Freddie King “Hide Away”
Howlin’ Wolf “Spoonful” – E Standard: A446
John Lee Hooker “Boom Boom”
Johnny Winter “Be Careful With A Fool”

This is epic. I am gonna be out of the office for a while.

Thanks for posting the full list!

I had my PS3 on at 4:30 this morning hoping to download this pack and play for a while before I had to get ready for work but it wasn't showing up in the shop yet. Maybe it is now.

What a great thread (and community)! I have just begun playing guitar with the aid of Rocksmith 2014,

It sounds like you've got a great setup for playing with the multiple outputs on your guitar.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying RS2014 and are seeing progress already. I've found that it has been really good for me for increasing muscle memory and that really carries over when you're reading tab outside of the game.

Keep on rockin'! :dude:

Eddye

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the full list!

I had my PS3 on at 4:30 this morning hoping to download this pack and play for a while before I had to get ready for work but it wasn't showing up in the shop yet. Maybe it is now.
New DLC is usualy available on wednesday IIRC.

Good to see a different genre of DLC instead of (hard)rock or metal.

ben.jammin

Reaction score
New DLC is usualy available on wednesday IIRC.

Good to see a different genre of DLC instead of (hard)rock or metal.

Thanks for the heads up about DLC being available on Wednesdays!

And, yes, although I do like rock and metal a change of genre is very welcome.

Is it Wednesday yet? :thumb:

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcF8Aos4XDA[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=54HwF8mVlaw[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0aIjyX7vwI[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=X70VMrH3yBg[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlUGRyWFJFo[/ame]

revtime

Reaction score
Tuesday in the States.
Absolutely Awesome pack.
That Johnny Winter song is going to tie your fingers in knots. I do believe I have reached the limit of my sight reading abilities. Going to actually have to sit down and wood shed.
Thanks Johnny Winter.

Cleaning out the favorites and putting in all the blues songs in RS. This should work on my chops. BB King, SRV and Albert King, Howlin Wolf, John Lee Hooker.
Gonna be a Blues weekend.

MiaoYin412

Reaction score
Has anyone bought the new Freddie King DLC?

Kinda wondering if it's accurate?

Thanks!

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the blues pack.

I don't know how accurate it is ... or what you'd be comparing it to ... but it is fun and very challenging to play ... very challenging.

Reminds me of SRV's Rude Mood ... probably should say Rude Mood reminds me of King's Hide Away.

MiaoYin412

Reaction score
Are you able to play it like Freddie(no pick)?

Or does the game require you to use a pick?

Thanks Cole.

ben.jammin

Reaction score
Has anyone bought the new Freddie King DLC?
Kinda wondering if it's accurate?
Thanks!

I purchased the Blues Pack last night and played Freddie King - Hideaway for a while. The notes in game appear to be identical to some tab I found online and it sounds correct, but I wouldn't consider myself by any means.

I would assume that you wouldn't have any problems playing without a pick. The game picks up hammer ons and pull offs without any problem, so it seems like there would be no problem with finger picking.

Thanks Cole.

I played all the songs in the pack except for "Spoonful" (too lazy to mess with my tuning) last night and they were a nice change of pace and really enjoyable to play.

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks Cole.

I saw that video of him without a pick! :wow: Plus his fingers look like sausages. How does he even get them on the strings? :laugh2:

I use a pick ... or try ... i still have a long way to go on that song.

There is no requirement to use a pick or not. On the bass tracks it suggests pick or finger, but either will work for the game.

Eddie 70

Reaction score
I'll have to download the blues pack this weekend. I've been trying BB King Thrill Is Gone all this week on Score Attack. I'm far from being able to play the whole song. Trying to get platinum on my way up.

revtime

Reaction score
I play all the time with just fingers. Metal stuff is almost impossible but once you learn how to strum with just fingers the easier stuff is very doable.
I wanted to learn how to drop the pick into your hand (palm, between the fingers, whatever) and play fingerstyle. I have almost switched over completely for regular blues type stuff. I do spend time in the manicure department at the Pharmacy. Strange looks when picking up nail files n such but I have to keep my nails a certain shape.
Totally different style and sound. I highly recommend it if your in a rut and looking for something different. I have calluses on my right hand fingers as well as my left now.
Started learning classical with Gibsons Learn and Master Fingerstyle. But it has morphed into Thumb, index, and middle with a lot of single note and double stop type stuff.
Its fun to go into a guitar shop and have the sales person hand me a guitar to try out and they say "Need a pick?" and I can hold up my right hand and say "Nope, I always have them with me."

Eddie 70

Reaction score
I just had to post a pic. I have never been the leader on any song at any level. Although it is on easy, I did make it today. Crappy focus but that is my user name at the top. Cool song. I had never heard it before.

20150509_170839_zpsh0oxtydm.jpg

ben.jammin

Reaction score
I just had to post a pic. I have never been the leader on any song at any level. Although it is on easy, I did make it today. Crappy focus but that is my user name at the top. Cool song. I had never heard it before.

Nice work! I've been enjoying that song too.

Latest Threads