Rockers Versus Politicians

Lampens

Reaction score
And Clutch for instance. A lot of people on here like them. Allthough their lyrics are kinda cryptic sometimes. There are songs were they are clearly taking a jab at your government. And I wouldn't call them a political band.

0x00

Banned
Reaction score
Corrections are needed - most politicians ARE lawyers.
And secondly, who do you think has more money, the president or Bruce Springsteen?

Duh, Springsteen. The President's gig is a few billion in the hole.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
I think we're all agreed that one's art is not to be used without permission...the debate appears to be the intent of said artist. It is their prerogative to allow or not allow...and we may or may not agree and choose to patronize artists more in line with our thinking or personal journey. Enough said, rock on brothers and sisters. :)

There you go again, Frankie - bringing reason and logic into the conversation. Damn you! :laugh2:

FrankieOliver

Reaction score
You know, the only Springsteen song I know is: Hey little girl is your daddy home, did he go and leave you all alone...uh huh...Brilliant music and lyrics. Other than that, I don't know another song of his. :dunno:

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
You know, the only Springsteen song I know is: Hey little girl is your daddy home, did he go and leave you all alone...uh huh...Brilliant music and lyrics. Other than that, I don't know another song of his. :dunno:

Born to Run
Thunder Road...

:)

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I think we're all agreed that one's art is not to be used without permission...the debate appears to be the intent of said artist. It is their prerogative to allow or not allow...and we may or may not agree and choose to patronize artists more in line with our thinking or personal journey. Enough said, rock on brothers and sisters. :)

I don't give a damn either way. Left, right, or center, putting politics in with music is crap, to me. I think the only political song, an allegory, that I really like is "The Trees" by Rush, and that only because the lyrics are so artfully done.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score

Growing up in NJ, you get to know his music by osmosis. I'm not a big Springsteen fan but I do like some of his music; the only "album" I own is the "Born to Run" anniversary box set. But, I have to say, that album is brilliant and the live DVD from 1975 makes it worth the price alone. Absolutely amazing performance.

FrankieOliver

Reaction score
Growing up in NJ, you get to know his music by osmosis. I'm not a big Springsteen fan but I do like some of his music; the only "album" I own is the "Born to Run" anniversary box set. But, I have to say, that album is brilliant and the live DVD from 1975 makes it worth the price alone. Absolutely amazing performance.

Exactly, Rich. It's the same thing here being born and raised on Long Island and knowing Billy Joel by osmosis...I used to eat in that Little Italian Restaurant: Cristiano's in Syosset a few times a week for lunch.

jeff_farkas

Reaction score

Being from NJ I agree..it's something in the water. All I know is I love his music and could care less about his politics. :)

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Duh, Springsteen. The President's gig is a few billion in the hole.

Ha...I see what you did there.
Nah, yer wrong - the last drummer left the bar tab and this schmuck is picking it up.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
Now, if you all will excuse me for a bit, I'm cooking up some pork roll for a nice, fat pork roll, egg and cheese sandwich for dinner. :)

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
......... Slacky Kicks Off His Run .........
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2I2mK_3_ns]YouTube - ‪Corrosion Of Conformity - Vote With A Bullet‬‏[/ame]

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No... To hell with the politicians. If someone is using my stuff I will personally rip off their balls.

I tried to use purple for the text, but it didn't work out.... :)

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that ASCAP and BMI aren't all over this stuff. They have no problem going after some midwestern housewife when she downloads a few albums or some small bar owner has cover bands perform but you don't ever hear a peep out of them when some shithead politician repeatedly plays copyrighted music without permission after being told not to do it.

ASCAP and BMI represent the publishers who hold the copyrights to the music, which the "artists" may have bargained away to get a contract with a "Label."

I don't know all the ins and outs of Copyright Law, but I know ASCAP & BMI go to work when there is money being made in connection to published music and the publisher subscribes to ASCAP or BMI to collect the percentages owed for performance and/or mechanical royalties.

There are provisions for fair use in educational and non-profit use, but permission must be asked usually.

I'm not sure where a Political Rally fits into this scheme unless it's a fund raiser and the music in question is used as background for say, $100/plate dinners, etc.

Seems to be a grey area probably.

The bands asking the music not to be played for political purposes are probably not exactly cutting their own pay by doing that. Likely there's some misc. clause somewhere unless it's a for-profit meeting of some sort. Highly unlikely you could assess profit (especially if the candidate loses said election, or whatever).

But I dunno. I'm not a music business lawyer.

:dunno:

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Now, if you all will excuse me for a bit, I'm cooking up some pork roll for a nice, fat pork roll, egg and cheese sandwich for dinner. :)

That had better be cheese food, dammit!

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am seldom interested in the political opinions of mass media entertainment figures. For my own part, this was an indifference that began when I heard John Lennon's Working Class Hero and has persisted since then. Plus, as I have said before, political sloganeering can become a formulaic, money-making posture on the part of the performers themselves. Neil Young went there a few times, as did several others... but the all-time champion political shill would just have to be Bono Vox...

If I ever run for office, my attack ads would consist of an accusation of my opponent as a would-be tyrant who meant to deprive everyone of their liberties and civil rights. And this is the song I would hijack for purposes of my nasty little campaign:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST86JM1RPl0]YouTube - ‪Tears For Fears - "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" - ORIGINAL VIDEO‬‏[/ame]

--R :D

Latest Threads