rock wars 2

batdog

Reaction score
Rock Wars 2

Jimmy Page vs Eric Clapton

Session Master vs Slow Hand

Let's have a friendly debate

Two legendary musicians

Can any musician reach the fame Jimmy had with Led Zeppelin?

Does Eric's 50+ year career outshine Jimmy's 12 years with Zeppelin?

Both are great guitarists who has the edge?

Eric's Fender Strat or Jimmy's Gibson LES PAUL, what would you rather play?

Who would you rather see live in concert Jimmy in his prime or Eric in his prime?

Theses are just some example of questions feel free to add other reasons for your pick.

tues.jpeg

tues2a.jpeg

gball

Reaction score
Not even a contest to me. Everything about James Patrick Page is transcendent; his playing, his arranging, his production, his tone, his Les Pauls...I could go on, but suffice to say he is responsible for the soundtrack of my youth.

Clapton? Meh. Nothing since Blind Faith interests me in the least, particularly his interminable rehashing of tired boring blues songs, and ever since he switched to primarily a Strat his tone has been the weakest of sauce.

Peter M

Reaction score
Ok some random thoughts:

This thread belongs in the Backstage.

Eric did his most interesting work playing Gibsons. Eric got really boring over the years. But he never tanked it live as Page has numerous times. Eric's a much cleaner player than Jimmy... but way less adventurous.

Page doesn't get embarrassed though... he's arguably the most brilliant songwriter in rock history... and one of the most imitated guitarists ever. More legendary than Eric.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Never liked Page, just didn't like Zep in general. Clapton lost his balls when he picked up a strat. Page basically changed rock as much as Hendrix. Clapton became a dick in his old age. Edge goes to Page.

1allspub

Reaction score
Page for me. Led Zep is one of those bands that just transcends genre... everyone knows who they are (few bands reach such notoriety, the Stones and Beatles occupy this same space). I like Clapton well enough, and his impact on rock and rock/blues history is undeniable, but as mentioned above, once he switched to a Strat his tone went out the window. On a Gibson he was magical... on a Strat... not so much (IMO, YMMV!)

As for which guitar... come on... it's a LP forum, that's a no-brainer ;) (Plus Page's LP might arguably be the most iconic LP on the planet... not necessarily the best sounding or even my personal favorite, but as an player/guitar icon, Page and his No. 1 are inarguable... up there with Hendrix and his Strat.)

wildhawk1

Reaction score
There's no debate Clapton has had a bigger impact on the guitar community over the years.

His career path and music produced by it was far more diverse.

And.... IMHO opinion and an very important one when looking at the big picture he's been a great ambassador of music and guitar over the years.

His Crossroads Guitar Festivals is a good example of that. He was happy to share the stage with an influence and household name like B.B. King and also give credit to another that many knew little about.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jimmy Page vs Eric Clapton

Can any musician reach the fame Jimmy had with Led Zeppelin?

Does Eric's 50+ year career outshine Jimmy's 12 years with Zeppelin?

Both are great guitarists who has the edge?

Eric's Fender Strat or Jimmy's Gibson LES PAUL, what would you rather play?

Who would you rather see live in concert Jimmy in his prime or Eric in his prime?
No
No
Page
Page's
In his prime? Page

In the 90s? I saw Page/Plant. It was very disappointing.

PeteK

Reaction score
There are far more Led Zeppelin songs I like than Clapton songs. But most Zep songs are covers, so maybe Clapton gets the edge for better at songwriting. But to my ears, Clapton wrote boring songs. He's an amazing guitar player that I never have any desire to listen to. Page on the other hand has several regulars in my playlist that get cranked. And I would for sure rather play Page's LP.

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The answer is always Fiesta Red.

Rawk Warrs 1> pickguard on or off
Rawk Warrs 2> nitro or poly
Rawk Warrs 3> has gibby's qc gone down the shitter or is it still good

I like sapphire blue translucent, one of the best newish strat colors. Fiesta red is never a mistake though.

1) On with covered pickups, off with exposed bobbins
2) Nitro. Unless you want your guitar to look brand new while your great to the 10th power grand-(insert pronoun here) plays it in 2435 in Wyld Stallyns.
3) QC has gone to complete hell, except for this $10k replica of a regular ass guitar that that the 3rd string touring guitarist for procol harum played on the ‘85 tour that I have removed all the parts from and spent another $15k on period correct plastics and vintage hardware/PAFs. I got a damn steal on that ‘59 poker chip. Only $900!

batdog

Reaction score
not sure im new to the forum wanted to try something different a member said to put this kind of thread in the backstage forum so I will post future threads there as for a playoff format that can come further into rock wars id like add rock groups too see where it goes thanks to all members who responded .

Latest Threads