Rock and Roll

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I’m new to recording but have just picked it up to record some of my own original material.

I have a a digital set up - Ezdrummer and some decent plug ins like s gear.

So, at this point I’m looking for some references and material. Most of the resources I’ve turned up are related to modern chugging rock. Not my cup of tea - I’m looking for more AC/DC or Black Crowes. I fully understand we’re in a technologically advanced time and I’m not going to get tape sounds out of my focusrite lol. That said, are there any good references or resources out there?

I really like the sounds in Back in Black, Southern Harmony, Sticky Fingers, etc. Driving guitar oriented rock.

Any help much appreciated regardless of subject I.e. drum sounds, mixing guitars, etc

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well....you just got yourself into a journey that never ends!

But one thing I would suggest is to download and study *.mogg files of your favorite artists. When you hear tracks isolated, it's highly educational

Last edited:

Zacknorton

Reaction score
??? Resources for how to achieve those kinds of sounds?

Small amps cranked, space between the mic and the amp. A good band tracked live.

Most of the info in doc’s and books is oblique as far as specific mics etc. but the book by Ken callait “Making rumors “. About making that Fleetwood Mac album is pretty detail heavy on how he did things.

“Are we still rolling” Phil Brown? Also a good read.

Ken Scott’s book is almost as wonderful as he is.

He and Eddie Kramer have given quite a few interviews.... then there’s the “making the record” type of documentaries that usually have a few informative bits.

Zacknorton

Reaction score
The Tom petty doc “running down a Dream” is worth watching over and over. Not a lot of recording specifics in there. But wisdom falls off Tom’s jacket like dust.

Geoff emerick’s books is decent too.

Find interviews with the engineers etc of your favorite records? They’ve got to be online somewhere.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Well....you just got yourself into a journey that never ends!

But one thing I would suggest is to download and study *.mogg files of your favorite artists. When you here tracks isolated, it's highly educational
Thanks Freddy. I’ll look into that. Right now I’m starting with what frequencies “belong” to which instruments and all the bare bones stuff. I imagine this will be a huge help.

The Tom petty doc “running down a Dream” is worth watching over and over. Not a lot of recording specifics in there. But wisdom falls off Tom’s jacket like dust.

Geoff emerick’s books is decent too.

Find interviews with the engineers etc of your favorite records? They’ve got to be online somewhere.

??? Resources for how to achieve those kinds of sounds?

Small amps cranked, space between the mic and the amp. A good band tracked live.

Most of the info in doc’s and books is oblique as far as specific mics etc. but the book by Ken callait “Making rumors “. About making that Fleetwood Mac album is pretty detail heavy on how he did things.

“Are we still rolling” Phil Brown? Also a good read.

Ken Scott’s book is almost as wonderful as he is.

He and Eddie Kramer have given quite a few interviews.... then there’s the “making the record” type of documentaries that usually have a few informative bits.
Thanks Zack. I’m limited to an apartment set up right now so amps being cranked is out of the question. I was referring to the sound of overall tracks - getting a good guitar tone in this context is something I’m familiar with.
I hadn’t considered hunting down interviews - good suggestion, sir. Much appreciated.

Zacknorton

Reaction score
Follow that same concept into the amp sim/space world. Tape and vintage gear emulation is totally useful.

Mix tutorials on that kind of vibe
Should be out there. But I hear you. Most of it means modern heavy.

Latest Threads