So rock n' roll's a loser's game, it mesmerizes and I can't explain
The reasons for the sights and for the sounds
The greasepaint still sticks to my face, so what the hell I can't erase
The rock n' roll feeling from my mind

From my mind
From my mind
From my mind

- Ballad of Mott the Hoople
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I heard Mott's Sweet Jane the other day , made me go back to the Hoople.

Mott is a band they could've, should've , would've but, much like Be Bop Deluxe never really "hit their stride."
I guess their timing was "off" or in boxer's terms they were not good "finishers.'

I can relate -too little or too much?

David Bowie, besides being one of THE GREAT ARTISTES -actually helped other bands he admired-without David no RAW POWER- no Lou Reed solo success-NO MOTT !

Mott was done. Their audience dimming until David gave them this hit.

Mott then "bit the hand" and decided to go out on their own-BAD CHOICE-without David's guidance they 'floundered".....or did they?

How long should a band last? Their "prime" was 1969-1974- when Ian Hunter left- Mick Ralphs had left earlier to for Bad Company- being replaced by
Luther Grosvenor-changing his name to Ariel Bender.....

This band had THE NAMES- Mick Ralphs+Ian Hunter+ ARIEL BENDER....

The GREATEST name of all was Mott the Hoople-named after a '60s novel - think an English "The Confederacy of Dunces"- I will buy this book- I need it on my shelf.

Mott "hobbled on" until 1980------various "reunions" .......Same old story- old geezers trying to "catch the magic."

I listened to my Retrospective and was very happy with what I heard- I may steal some of this riffs.....

I can hear it now---some Philly Slob at one of my shows,

"Hey, that sounds like a Mott the Hoople riff........

I would claim "innocence."

"NO WAY- THEY WERE LOSERS!"

In reality I prefer LOSERS to WINNERS------Once you WIN-----nowhere to go---once you LOSE---you are free------to-----???????????????-What am I free to do now?OH yeah,you can play CRAP gigs into your late 50's to idiots...........sounds good to me.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Rock n' roll's a loser's game, it mesmerizes and I can't explain
We went off somewhere on the way and now I see we have to pay
The rock n' roll circus is in town

So rock n' roll's a loser's game, it mesmerizes and I can't explain
The greasepaint still sticks to my face, so what the hell I can't erase
The rock n' roll feeling from my mind

From my mind
From my mind
From my mind

- Ballad of Mott the Hoople
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I heard Mott's Sweet Jane the other day , made me go back to the Hoople.

Mott is a band they could've, should've , would've but, much like Be Bop Deluxe never really "hit their stride."
I guess their timing was "off" or in boxer's terms they were not good "finishers.'

I can relate -too little or too much?

David Bowie, besides being one of THE GREAT ARTISTES -actually helped other bands he admired-without David no RAW POWER- no Lou Reed solo success-NO MOTT !

Mott was done. Their audience dimming until David gave them this hit.

Mott then "bit the hand" and decided to go out on their own-BAD CHOICE-without David's guidance they 'floundered".....or did they?

How long should a band last? Their "prime" was 1969-1974- when Ian Hunter left- Mick Ralphs had left earlier to for Bad Company- being replaced by
Luther Grosvenor-changing his name to Ariel Bender.....

This band had THE NAMES- Mick Ralphs+Ian Hunter+ ARIEL BENDER....

The GREATEST name of all was Mott the Hoople-named after a '60s novel - think an English "The Confederacy of Dunces"- I will buy this book- I need it on my shelf.

Mott "hobbled on" until 1980------various "reunions" .......Same old story- old geezers trying to "catch the magic."

I listened to my Retrospective and was very happy with what I heard- I may steal some of this riffs.....

I can hear it now---some Philly Slob at one of my shows,

"Hey, that sounds like a Mott the Hoople riff........

I would claim "innocence."

"NO WAY- THEY WERE LOSERS!"

In reality I prefer LOSERS to WINNERS------Once you WIN-----nowhere to go---once you LOSE---you are free------to-----???????????????-What am I free to do now?OH yeah,you can play CRAP gigs into your late 50's to idiots...........sounds good to me.
To be fair, this story could be told of most of the bands back in the day. Those that didn't lose key members to drugs and alcohol simply imploded under their own weight. It seems the corporate rockers these days are taking better care of themselves and seem to have signed a contract to pinky swear that they won't miss a meeting, but the output has suffered tremendously...

wildhawk1

Reaction score
It's always been a game of careful what you wish for.

For many the garden was a great place to be but they wanted more and reached for the apple tree.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
mott has always been one of my favorites.strangely enough the two songs of theirs i play were written by bowie.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
That album was a regular on my playlist of "play along" records.

And Ariel Bender was so cool with the "entry level" Les Paul ! (LOL).

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
To be fair, this story could be told of most of the bands back in the day. Those that didn't lose key members to drugs and alcohol simply imploded under their own weight. It seems the corporate rockers these days are taking better care of themselves and seem to have signed a contract to pinky swear that they won't miss a meeting, but the output has suffered tremendously...
Lefty, I believe in SEX+DRUGS+R+R. Clean living? No, not for hungry young ROCKERS. Protein shakes are for gym teachers.

1991-1993

Where is Tim?
Oh, he is passed out-blood alcohol level OFF THE CHARTS- I never played a gig drunk though- I would smoke a bit-then after I would be handed the poison- glad I finally quit in 2000. I don't have a spleen-my liver was taking a beating.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
wildhawk,if I had ANY success I would be dead,I was a drunk,would've went the Bon Scott way.....glad everybody HATED my band.
In my younger years with success there's no doubt I would of been the devil's slave.

Along with being way down the list of gunslingers the possibility of spandex and more time at the hairdresser than a girlfriend was a good way to make sure that didn't happen.

Becker34

Reaction score
Saw Mott a few years ago when they did their reunion thingee. Ariel had a Strat. Great show, glad I saw them.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Saw Mott a few years ago when they did their reunion thingee. Ariel had a Strat. Great show, glad I saw them.
Becker, these "wash ups" BRING it-too bad they loook like HELL- not much SEX in grandpa R+R.

Latest Threads