Rock and Roll Exhibit at The Met in NYC

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Cool As a Moose. Wish I could get there to see it.
Are you going anorton?

This sounds, obviously, very focused on Rock n Roll guitars so that is very cool indeed.
I wonder how much the Rock and Roll Museum helped out?

Boston Museum of Art did an exhibit on the Guitar through out history
in 2000. It was called "Dangerous Curves - Art of the the Guitar".

They had a local boy named James Taylor do the narrating w/ samples of
the actual instrument as you were viewing them on a cassette.

The narration piece was an included part of the exhibit and not extra money like some
Art exhibits at the MMA.

It was a great exhibit showing new and old (1628). They had early pre-guitars and of
course Jimi's psychedelic painted guitar as well as Gene Autrie's acoustic on display.

Showed an old Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Company Arch top from 1918. The guitars were
lent to the Museum from around the country and world. A great perspective.

Some patrons of the museum were put out because guitars aren't real art. The show
was a bit hit though. Great idea to get new young blood into the museum.

anorton

Reaction score
Cool As a Moose. Wish I could get there to see it.
Are you going anorton?

This sounds, obviously, very focused on Rock n Roll guitars so that is very cool indeed.
I wonder how much the Rock and Roll Museum helped out?

Boston Museum of Art did an exhibit on the Guitar through out history
in 2000. It was called "Dangerous Curves - Art of the the Guitar".

They had a local boy named James Taylor do the narrating w/ samples of
the actual instrument as you were viewing them on a cassette.

The narration piece was an included part of the exhibit and not extra money like some
Art exhibits at the MMA.

It was a great exhibit showing new and old (1628). They had early pre-guitars and of
course Jimi's psychedelic painted guitar as well as Gene Autrie's acoustic on display.

Showed an old Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Company Arch top from 1918. The guitars were
lent to the Museum from around the country and world. A great perspective.

Some patrons of the museum were put out because guitars aren't real art. The show
was a bit hit though. Great idea to get new young blood into the museum.
I’m going for sure. I would have loved to see that exhibit you mention above. JT’s voice must have been a treat, even if he’s only speaking, lol. “Dangerous Curves” is a fantastic title for a guitar exhibit and a killer band name as well. I may have to put a band together just to tell people I was in s band called “Dangerous Curves”, lol.

I read somewhere that some of the instruments in the upcoming exhibit at The Met are from R&R Hall of Fame museum, but they’ve also gotten some from private collections. It looks to be a pretty unique grouping.

I’m sure this one will also have its detractors, but one can’t deny the cultural significance of Rock and Roll. I hope you find a way to see it.

anorton

Reaction score
Anyone know who owned the Les Paul Custom in the pic? It looks familiar, but can't place it...

Keith Richards. I’m almost positive it’s the guitar he used for the “Sympathy for Devil” solos.

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
A bunch of us are going in July. Really looking forward to it. I bought the big book in the meantime... Amazon has it way less than the MET website..

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
A bunch of us are going in July. Really looking forward to it. I bought the big book in the meantime... Amazon has it way less than the MET website..
Usually major museum presentations have an accompanying book. So well worth it for guitars. The one for
the Boston Exhibit, "Dangerous Curves" have wonderful pics and copy. It can still be purchased through
book stores. Most are used. Some still in the wrap.

I'll have to take a look at the NY museum website.

Have fun at the showing. Report back on your findings and how many guitars the museum
gave you for your own enjoyment...:fingersx:

Attachments

faultrock

Reaction score
I just went to this. SO worth it. It has a plethora of historically significant instruments (emphasis on guitars) that is beyond impressive. Page's lost then found black beauty, his #1 LP, his 70's era complete backline, EDS-1275, Blackie, Kossof's LP, SRV #1, EVH #1, etc etc on and on and on. Has to be the most impressive collection of rock instruments ever assembled. Highly recommended.

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I just went to this. SO worth it. It has a plethora of historically significant instruments (emphasis on guitars) that is beyond impressive. Page's lost then found black beauty, his #1 LP, his 70's era complete backline, EDS-1275, Blackie, Kossof's LP, SRV #1, EVH #1, etc etc on and on and on. Has to be the most impressive collection of rock instruments ever assembled. Highly recommended.
Do they have an book as well?

faultrock

Reaction score
Yep, bought it. Haven't opened it yet tho other than flipping through the sample. It's quite robust in terms of pages

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, bought it. Haven't opened it yet tho other than flipping through the sample. It's quite robust in terms of pages
HMmm, may need to go to their website and check it out. Thanks fault...

My Les Paul Classifieds