Robocalls from the taxman

Skeletor

Reaction score
Does anyone have any creative solutions to the Robocalls from the IRS (in my case Revenue Canada)?
I'm getting them daily - different number every day so blocking the number is not an option.

Guessing that any sort of reaction (press 1 for whatever..) would just lead to an escalation (or perhaps some strange long distance charges or something)

Just suck it up and continue to ignore?

jkes01

Reaction score
These are the same people that work for Windows Support, Apple Support, and credit services to lower your interest rate.

I work in the tax industry and I can tell you the IRS will never, ever call you. Certified letter only.

Skeletor

Reaction score
Definitely a scam - never had any doubts on that... just wondering if there is a way to make it stop :fingersx:

jkes01

Reaction score
Add your number to the do not call registry? They are just fishing by casting a net. The problem is that they have gotten really crafty by spoofing local or even well known business numbers.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Every phone solicitor that gets me on the horn soon learns I died in a terrible power tool accident.

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you have caller ID and you don't recognize the number, don't answer. I was getting incessant calls and I ignored them until I answered one. I heard about 2 seconds of a recording and hung up. For the rest of the day, the phone rang every 5 minutes. I got in a mega-loop. :mad2:

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It’s a scam. If the IRS wanted to get a hold of you, they would not call.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Never answer. Never. If your carrier offers a SPAM call blocking app, get it. Verizon started offering theirs for free last fall. Since I installed it, I get about 80% fewer spam calls. Much better.

But, the latest new rage is SPAM texts... and there is nothing you can do about those... fucking horrible.

We should send the SEALS into the countries who harbor these cocksuckers and kill them all.

Hoping that the FCC will make it mandatory for the carriers to filter them both out. But, you know how they are with all those "pesky regulations" that get in the way of business. Fuck us. It's all about the revenue.

Fracture

Reaction score
answer every call, keep them on the phone as long
as possible

pretend to comply with their instructions

the more time of theirs you waste, the sooner they'll see how pointless
these attempts are

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rule of thumb:

Big companies ain't gonna call you.

Big Pharaoh Gummit Divisions ain't gonna call you.

NO official type shit is ever done on phone.

The damn sheriff is not on his way to arrest you.

and...........

Microsoft does not give a shit how much havoc your computer is causing on the interwebz.
Microsoft doesn't give a shit about you, so they damn sure ain't gonna call.

If you call any damn number that pops up on a bullshit page on your computer, especially if it has sound effect like sirens and shit and starts talking to you, you seriously need to be punched right in the face for every digit in the phone number. It's a bullshit scam. Every one of em....

DO NOT CLICK ON SHIT, IT IS JUST A PAGE. SHUT THE MACHINE DOWN. REBOOT AND SCAN...
(chances are there is nothing. Just a bullshit popup page....

One side of partner and my company is IT. I can cite several four to five digit cases in the last couple of years that blew my mind these folks bit on.... not dumbasses either... They must not buy cars very often... Fish.... Damn sad...

In the right place at the right time ANY OF YOU can be taken by the right person.

I tell the wife 'don't chat, don't speak, don't push pound sign or anything...ever...hang up....

Never say ok, yes, uh huh, correct, etc.,...hang up the damn phone....

All it takes is trying to explain to an elderly couple they've possibly lost several K to the bastards, and explain HOW they did it so hopefully it never happens again... Then try to get them to get over the massive embarrassment so they can hit the appropriate channels to help get the rat bastids, and more importantly, how to try to get their money back...

I can't stand a thief or con man.... Having elderly standing in my building with tears in their eyes because somebody fished em makes me want to go to my dark place....

Last edited:

NotScott

Reaction score
I never answer calls from numbers I am unfamiliar with and I have been on the do not call list since it was implemented. If anybody important needs to contact me, they know how to reach me.

Skeletor

Reaction score
If you have caller ID and you don't recognize the number, don't answer. I was getting incessant calls and I ignored them until I answered one. I heard about 2 seconds of a recording and hung up. For the rest of the day, the phone rang every 5 minutes. I got in a mega-loop. :mad2:
That is what I was doing but I am starting to get more and more work calls from contractors in the US (so new numbers that I don't recognize) - I've had to start answering some of them.

And to NGG - these are computer generated "Canada Revenue - police are on the way" press 1 to connect with an agent - pretty certain pressing 1 will mean 10 times the calls tomorrow - so I'm not planning to connect to explain my untimely death chocking on vomit (someone else's vomit) :shock:

Latest Threads