Roadworn Telecaster.... these things are awesome

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
The only criticism on my example was the fret ends were not finished to standard on the high E side.But that didn't stop me,this beast sounds amazing,unique.
Yes. What I didn't show in the video on the OP was me cleaning up the fret ends with a couple of files. They were pretty sharp. The guitar was already used and a couple years old when I got it so I just chalked it up to fret sprout that happened after it left the factory. Was yours new when you bought it?

Telechamp

Reaction score
It was a Roadworn Tele that grabbed me and dragged me into the Tele camp,finally, after all these years...after trying many Fenders over the years,and not being moved.

Just talking my instrument(they do vary a bit, the ones i've tried)

I did upgrade the bridge/plate(vintage nickel/individual saddles) and tuners(nickel,vintage style,locking).And i got a pro setup.As jbash said,the original plate and barrels were too mushy sounding.

The body is light...3 pieces of ash,if i read the seams correctly.
Really nice acoustics.Spectacular tone.

The only criticism on my example was the fret ends were not finished to standard on the high E side.But that didn't stop me,this beast sounds amazing,unique.

6 years on now,it has beautiful subtle checking all over the body.Love it.
Yeah, my 2008 Road Worn 60's Strat needed some tweaking out of the box as well, before I was happy with it.

Needed a setup, of course, but it also needed a fret leveling. So I got that done (when I bought it new in '08). But after having that work done, it plays and sounds great. It's fairly light as well - 7 lb 2 oz. However, I have seen some heavy ones, so I lucked out there - as I ordered it from MF. You're right - they do vary a bit.

rogue3

Reaction score
Yes. What I didn't show in the video on the OP was me cleaning up the fret ends with a couple of files. They were pretty sharp. The guitar was already used and a couple years old when I got it so I just chalked it up to fret sprout that happened after it left the factory. Was yours new when you bought it?
Yes,it was.The high E had a little tendency to slip off in spots,but, i heard vintage Telecasters sometimes do too...so i guess that makes it vintage correct,lol.

A few years on now,there is a little more fret sprout,but,no matter to me.God,i do love those dunlop medium jumbos!... the tone.:cool2:

iekobrid

Reaction score
Hard to go wrong with a nice Fender RW. :thumb:

For my money, the sleepers of the series were the Road Worn Player (RWP) models, which had modern tuners and more subtle, uniform weathering than the RW 50s or 60s. The look and feel are less like finish has been removed, more like it was barely applied in the first place.

A while back I built a parts guitar around a RWP neck I found on eBay and it quickly became my all-day every-day guitar for years... up until I went on a Gibson spree. :laugh2: Here's what I wrote about it at the time:

" ash body from a 2008 Fender American Standard

maple neck from a 2010 Fender Road Worn Player (MiM)

controls, plate and greasebucket wiring from a 2006 Fender American Highway One

new bridge, pickguard, neck plate, screws, etc.

SD Five-Two bridge pickup

Fralin P-92 neck pickup

The previous owner of the body had tried applying finish stripper to small patch on the back, so I continued in that direction by deglossing the body and weathering the pickguard and (originally pretty high gloss chrome) hardware a bit to give the guitar a nicely broken in, satin-y look and feel without going nuts with it IMO. I haven't weathered the neck pickup yet because I haven't decided to keep it or swap it out for a Dimarzio EJ Custom I also picked up secondhand. "

tele DSC09850_zps7a205873 (5).jpg

tele DSC09850_zps7a205873 (2).jpg

tele DSC09850_zps7a205873 (1).jpg

Attachments

TheWelder

Reaction score
Congrats! Fantastic guitars.

This is Captain Crunch (Looks and sounds just like the Cereal). It was my main player for a few years.

I made some mods- the best being an electrosocket jack and a set of Rumpelstiltskin 1950 Black Ropes - A3 flat poles, bridge @ around 10K- Full up, you could pull of Miaden and Scorpions or with lower gain early Zep and Yardbirds era Beck all day long. Neck had a brushed nickel cover instead of brass so much clearer and punchy like a strat neck pickup- very "Trower". I rounded the fretboard edges, and in this pic he has some comp'ed brass saddles, but I quickly went back to the steel saddles. Brass saddles were way too warm and mushy with these pickups. I added plenty of my own relic'ing and the fingerboard really took on a vintage vibe after a few months of playing. Big neck on mine- very soft V meets C shape.

I sold it several years ago to a forum member over @ the Seymour Duncan forums. Really regret it, but at the time I just had to move some guitars. The relic on this one was really good- some were pretty bad. Speculation at the time indicates it may have been the one Greg Koch used in the demo video he did for Sweetwater when Fender first released them. But I was never able to confirm.
View attachment 463622
View attachment 463626
I remember when these came out. I thought they were cool but always felt the wear was a bit cheesy. But this one...man that looks like a good Custom Shop relic. Did yours turn this way from playing or did it come like this from the factory?

Sweet guitar either way.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
WOW!!!

That was a great video, a killer guitar that sounds and looks awesome.

I always wanted one of those early RW Strats or Teles.

I kinda missed the boat back then.

NOW, they're sought after by a lot of players.

After watching this video, I decided to go to Reverb and see if I could find a deal on a RW Tele or Strat.

The prices totally caught me off guard.

They're commanding $900-$1100.

Well I guess it's cheaper than buying a Fender CS Relic.

I personally would never be able to justify paying that much for one.

The crazy thing is, I bought 3 USA Fender guitars with nitro find for the price of one of those.

I bought my '09 Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Tele for $100, my '09 Fender Highway One Honey Blonde for $500, and my '07 Fender '57RI AVRI Surf Green Strat for $400, from pawnshops in the last 3 yrs.

All 3 of them are starting to naturally relic really nicely.

I really like the 9.5 neck radius on the Highway One's.

They're really comfortable to play.

I'm not really crazy about the vintage 7.25 neck radius on the AVRI strat so much, and therefore, it doesn't get played too much.

Here's some pics of mine

'09 Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Tele and Strat:

'07 Fender '57 AVRI Surf Green Strat:

jbash

Reaction score
I remember when these came out. I thought they were cool but always felt the wear was a bit cheesy. But this one...man that looks like a good Custom Shop relic. Did yours turn this way from playing or did it come like this from the factory?

Sweet guitar either way.
Thanks.

The darkening of the fretboard where Fender had sanded off finish was all just from playing. 99% of the body is the way it came new. The pickups had some light aging by Rumpelstiltskin.

5F6-A

Reaction score
Punk as PHUCK.

Video of the whole guitar....
Someone else had tortured this poor guitar (see finish missing from the back) and was destined to end up in the dump. However, I was given the opportuniity to save it. I added the bits that were missing, broken or malfunctioning but left the finish untouched as I think it looks great like this. Now it great guitar... I tune it in open G to play slide.

Last edited:

rikko

Reaction score
Video of the whole guitar....
Someone else had tortured this poor guitar (see finish missing from the back) and was destined to end up in the dump. However, I was given the opportuniity to save it. I added the bits that were missing, broken or malfunctioning but left the finish untouched as I think it looks great like this. Now it great guitar... I tune it in open G to play slide.

Nice!

Gridlock

Reaction score
OP, a cool guitar. Congratulations!

I’ve owned quite a few Telecasters since buying my first one about one about 15 years ago.

I’ve owned higher end model Telecasters, but the American Standard models are some of my favorites.

My latest.

22BBCB01-6C2B-4AF2-8803-BF611A7F2341.jpeg

Last edited: