Roadworn Telecaster.... these things are awesome

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I was never a Tele guy growing up. They were old man guitars. Now that I am an old man I bought a telecaster and son-of-a-gun this guitar is REALLY nice. I was never much for relicing either, but the way they wear the finish on the body and neck just feels right..

Anyway I made a video about this guitar.

PearlCrowes

Reaction score
You’re absolutely spot on. Those road worn Tele’s are beasts. I had one around 2010 or so before off loading it for an amp. Only two guitars that I regret trading. A HW1 Black Strat and my RW Tele.

Great jams are in your future!

jbash

Reaction score
Congrats! Fantastic guitars.

This is Captain Crunch (Looks and sounds just like the Cereal). It was my main player for a few years.

I made some mods- the best being an electrosocket jack and a set of Rumpelstiltskin 1950 Black Ropes - A3 flat poles, bridge @ around 10K- Full up, you could pull of Miaden and Scorpions or with lower gain early Zep and Yardbirds era Beck all day long. Neck had a brushed nickel cover instead of brass so much clearer and punchy like a strat neck pickup- very "Trower". I rounded the fretboard edges, and in this pic he has some comp'ed brass saddles, but I quickly went back to the steel saddles. Brass saddles were way too warm and mushy with these pickups. I added plenty of my own relic'ing and the fingerboard really took on a vintage vibe after a few months of playing. Big neck on mine- very soft V meets C shape.

I sold it several years ago to a forum member over @ the Seymour Duncan forums. Really regret it, but at the time I just had to move some guitars. The relic on this one was really good- some were pretty bad. Speculation at the time indicates it may have been the one Greg Koch used in the demo video he did for Sweetwater when Fender first released them. But I was never able to confirm.
DSC01803.JPG

DSC01804.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Congrats! Fantastic guitars.

This is Captain Crunch (Looks and sounds just like the Cereal). It was my main player for a few years.

I made some mods- the best being an electrosocket jack and a set of Rumpelstiltskin 1950 Black Ropes - A3 flat poles, bridge @ around 10K- Full up, you could pull of Miaden and Scorpions or with lower gain early Zep and Yardbirds era Beck all day long. Neck had a brushed nickel cover instead of brass so much clearer and punchy like a strat neck pickup- very "Trower". I rounded the fretboard edges, and in this pic he has some comp'ed brass saddles, but I quickly went back to the steel saddles. Brass saddles were way too warm and mushy with these pickups. I added plenty of my own relic'ing and the fingerboard really took on a vintage vibe after a few months of playing. Big neck on mine- very soft V meets C shape.

I sold it several years ago to a forum member over @ the Seymour Duncan forums. Really regret it, but at the time I just had to move some guitars. The relic on this one was really good- some were pretty bad. Speculation at the time indicates it may have been the one Greg Koch used in the demo video he did for Sweetwater when Fender first released them. But I was never able to confirm.
View attachment 463622
View attachment 463626
Wow! that looks great! I like the fretboard.

I noticed when looking into these guitars that the older ones had the white pickgaurd.

I just wish they'd stop putting the truss rod adjuster on the wrong side of the neck :rofl:

jbash

Reaction score
Yup. Never adjusted it more than once actually.

Frankly, I'm always constantly fiddling with my Gibsons. Adjustments, parts, pickups, whatever trying to get everything just right. Every single Strat or Tele I have owned over the past 40 years got an initial pickup swap and setup and that was it. Just change the strings when they wear out and play the hell out of them. Different animals.

Lakeabilene

Reaction score
Yeah try a Brad Paisley road worn! It's got a soft V neck and it's such a good fit for my hand, I can play it more easily than my AVRI tele. I like everything about it. The sound is just right!

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
Thanks, RC! I'm digging your videos.

Paul Bigsby might argue your point about "who was first" (1:45 in your video).

https://www.vintageguitar.com/1807/bigsby-merle-travis-electric-guitar/ (1948)

The "hole in the body" is a spot where the CNC locator pin holds the body while cutting the shape (based on my internet learnin'... I have not verified this or seen the machines).

1590112136154.png

1590112286650.png

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
At 6:10, did you write that groove? I like it.

Reminds me of the vibe in this brilliant song.

rikko

Reaction score
I was never a Tele guy growing up. They were old man guitars. Now that I am an old man I bought a telecaster and son-of-a-gun this guitar is REALLY nice. I was never much for relicing either, but the way they wear the finish on the body and neck just feels right..

Anyway I made a video about this guitar.

Old man guitars- heh!
I thought Teles were fugly back in the day as well.
Many years later I had to have one- & I don't know how I got along without it!

They're like the "midlife" crisis guitar or like a C3 Corvette-
Doesn't look so good when you're young, but looks great when the grey hairs start showing up!

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
Love my Tele. Complete beast. Like you, it took me ages to get around to adding one to the stable, but I'm sure glad I did!

They say you can finish a bar fight with a Tele, get back on stage and start playing again -- and it'll still be in tune!

Enjoy your Roadworn in good health!

rikko

Reaction score
Love my Tele. Complete beast. Like you, it took me ages to get around to adding one to the stable, but I'm sure glad I did!

They say you can finish a bar fight with a Tele, get back on stage and start playing again -- and it'll still be in tune!

Enjoy your Roadworn in good health!
It's been DONE:

Telechamp

Reaction score
The thing that gets me about Telecasters is the tone. I have a FSR BSB that I modified. It records so well and it just demands to be heard.
Same here. I've got an FSR Standard Ash Butterscotch Tele w/ a Duncan '59 in the neck and a Duncan Five-Two in the bridge, and this thing rules with these new pups.

Last edited:

rogue3

Reaction score
It was a Roadworn Tele that grabbed me and dragged me into the Tele camp,finally, after all these years...after trying many Fenders over the years,and not being moved.

Just talking my instrument(they do vary a bit, the ones i've tried)

I did upgrade the bridge/plate(vintage nickel/individual saddles) and tuners(nickel,vintage style,locking).And i got a pro setup.As jbash said,the original plate and barrels were too mushy sounding.

The body is light...3 pieces of ash,if i read the seams correctly.
Really nice acoustics.Spectacular tone.

The only criticism on my example was the fret ends were not finished to standard on the high E side.But that didn't stop me,this beast sounds amazing,unique.

6 years on now,it has beautiful subtle checking all over the body.Love it.

Last edited:

Latest Threads