Road cases for amp head

chrose1201

Reaction score
So I figure since I dropped a small fortune (relatively speaking) on my Friedman head just carrying it from gig to gig with no protection is a foolish idea. It's not going to be traveling by air, truck or sea just by me gig to gig. I know a guy at Whirlwind who is going to spec out a case for it but in case it ends up being $$$$, what do you all use to protect your amp heads for local, semi local travels?

Big John

answer the question, question the answer
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I recently ordered some clamshell covers with double padding from Studio Slips for a couple combos. Great protection for 1/4 the price of a case.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just be mindful of the overall weight.
I used to have a Dual Recto with a road case that was almost impossible to move by myself.

tzd

Reaction score
Usually the only damage that would happen to an amp head is scratched and torn tolex. An amp cover will take care of that.

If you're not flying or shipping it on a truck etc, road case makes no sense as it will almost double its weight and increase its bulk, making it even more difficult to move around.

If you think you really need the protection you can use something like this - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G901--gator-g-901-amp-head-case-wooden-frame

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Worth mentioning is that a lot of smaller venues and bars don’t have much (if any) backstage storage, making road cases even more of a pain in the ass.

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Road case USA I think. They make a lighter duty case built to spec for a decent price. I own one for my old silvertone. Not really heavy.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Never used a case in 40 years. Only local gigs and rehearsals. Never had a problem outside of a few dings or tears. But the dings and tears were on large heavy objects like combos or 4x12 cabs, never heads. Well, my ex-wife picked up my 1987x and smashed it. But that was at the house.

rxbandit

Reaction score
I've been using road cases for the last 5 years, head and cab. Makes packing and transporting so much easier without worrying about the gear. The cases are pretty beat up by now but that's their job! Well worth the investment if you're doing any kind of regular gigging imo.

rxbandit

Reaction score
Worth mentioning is that a lot of smaller venues and bars don’t have much (if any) backstage storage, making road cases even more of a pain in the ass.
We stack our amps on top of the roadcase to take care of that issue/get our amps closer to our ears. Most importantly, the higher the amp the better the tone :cool2::laugh2:

redking

Reaction score
If you get a headcase only built, I would recommend one where there are wheels on one corner and a retractible handle on the other end so you don't have to lift it everywhere.

chrose1201

Reaction score
If you get a headcase only built, I would recommend one where there are wheels on one corner and a retractible handle on the other end so you don't have to lift it everywhere.
I'm starting to think a soft case is more than sufficient for my needs. I have a roll of bubbles that I may use this weekend for the ride down in the truck :)

Latest Threads