Rivera RockCrusher and Mesa Dual Rec. Oh my god...

thirdykal

Reaction score
NGD for me!! I moved to an apartment in August of last year, and since then I haven't been able to really crank my baby because of neighbors... Well I go to Sam Ash and they tell me about the RockCrusher. I picked one up for cheap off of eBay and it's gotta be the best $300 I've spent this year. During the day, I can get that sweet Mesa Dual Rec tone without bringing the building down and at night I can silent record into Torpedo Live's Wall of Sound III plugin, and it sounds pretty dang close to the real thing. I did a quick cover of a small UK band last night if anyone's interested to know how it sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muIOs_s1I5w

I'm also planning on doing a demo without a backing track so you can hear the amazing raw sound, but I am absolutely blown away at how good this Rock Crusher is.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Rockcrusher too and love it. Works for taming my '76 JMP. Congrats and nice playing! :thumbs:

d2_racing

Reaction score
And for the price, it seems to do a great job. Less expansive then the Aracom for sure.

edselman

Reaction score
The only issue I have with the Rock Crusher is that it only lets you select between 8 or 16 ohms. What about Fender amps that run four speakers? The Super Reverb and Bassman both are 2 ohm. That's one big reason I bought a Weber. I love the results from the Weber and it covers all bases and costs less.

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Between guitar face and cat.....I say WELL DONE. Sounded solid

wwit

Reaction score
Wow, my cat was trying to play with those eye pokers :laugh2:

I really dig my Rock Crusher also. So simple to use and it just plain works. Nice to be able to get the tone only gotten when the tubes are nice and hot without the ear shattering home playing volume levels. :thumb:

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
I have a Rock Crusher as well - highly recommend

Great with my 100w Plexi and DSL100

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
What is going on with the 72 les paul custom? Fake?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Sounds great! :thumb:

Nice Chibson by the way, how much did that one run you?

thirdykal

Reaction score
@mrdannyboy: The '72 Custom is on the wall, I just don't like taking it down to Drop C. I bought the Chibson to have a Les Paul in low tunings.

@rjwilson: for the custom stain paint job, a solid mahogany body, maple cap, ebony fingerboard, custom headstock logo and the volute it ran me $325 shipped. I then threw in an EMG JH set. The RockCrusher I got off of eBay for $330 shipped, so I'd say it was well worth it!

I did look at a few attenuation options before the RockCrusher, but it sounded the most transparent to my ears. I did get around to making the demo and listening back to it, I have to admit I'm surprised how different the sound is recording direct from the RockCrusher and micing up the cab is. I'm a little disappointed with the direct sound, but since I can play through the cab at a whisper with this thing, I guess it's a non-issue. Maybe I'm just using the plugin wrong?

What do you guys think? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJgwkX1i8Bs

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score
Direct out will never sound as good as going through as pair of speakers. No matter how good the unit is. I have a Weber Mass 100 and the unit sounds fantastic. But even the direct out on that is very lacking. After trying many direct recording options I have come to terms with the fact that it's just not gonna happen. That is why I use my POD 500HDX for silent recording, and then during the day I re record the parts micing up my amp. The only other option would be to record your dry signal while monitoring the direct out, that way you can reamp it during the day when you can actually make some noise. This is an option I am getting ready to start exploring.

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Direct out will never sound as good as going through as pair of speakers. No matter how good the unit is. I have a Weber Mass 100 and the unit sounds fantastic. But even the direct out on that is very lacking. After trying many direct recording options I have come to terms with the fact that it's just not gonna happen. That is why I use my POD 500HDX for silent recording, and then during the day I re record the parts micing up my amp. The only other option would be to record your dry signal while monitoring the direct out, that way you can reamp it during the day when you can actually make some noise. This is an option I am getting ready to start exploring.

Big experience with recording right here. :thumb:

thirdykal

Reaction score

Let me know what you go with. I get in the creative mood late at night, but unfortunately my neighbors aren't particularly supportive of my creativity past 8PM. Reamping seems like the way to go.

thirdykal

Reaction score
@bulletproof: I'm sorry, I get nervous in front of a camera hahaha.

@Pwrmac7600: Yeah, radial is the stuff that I'm looking into as well. Gotta wait a bit to save up though, that RockCrusher was completely worth it, but wasn't exactly the cheapest piece of gear in the world.

Latest Threads