RIP Mark Roth - PBA Hall of Famer

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
Most people haven't heard that name in years, probably don't remember who he was. But the entire sport of bowling was completely revolutionized by Mark Roth. He was the first modern power player, otherwise known as a "cranker", with the high backswing and huge hook that has become the norm in every league in every bowling center on the planet. Perhaps no single athlete has ever changed his sport as profoundly as Mark. Legendary.

Last edited:

DavGrape

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, he could be wild sometimes; but the spin he put on the ball was pure energy on the pins.
Even when it didn't hit the pocket; pins were going nuts.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
Wow, he could be wild sometimes; but the spin he put on the ball was pure energy on the pins.
Even when it didn't hit the pocket; pins were going nuts.
It completely changed the game. All the high friction balls, the advanced oil patterns on the lanes, and the jump in scoring are all due to what Roth did in the 70s, on flat oil patterns using plastic coverstock balls. He figured out that it is the angle to the pocket that matters and the results when ball hits pins is irrefutable. Its a completely different game today from what it was in 1970. The influence is dramatic, and even the 2-handed guys we are seeing now owe a huge debt to Roth for inventing the cranker style.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bowling. Oh please....spare me.
That's your first strike!!

R.gif

DavGrape

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa!
Weird 10th frame ball from Earl. ↑
Caught the head pin, but that's it.
Little bit of Mark Roth spin woulda helped.

Latest Threads