Rinkya

drasp

Reaction score
I haven't goofed around with any of this for ages, but there is a bass I'd *love* to snag ending soon on Yahoo JP auctions. Had thought I'd use Rinkya, but sounds like that isn't an option for now. . . thoughts on Buyee or other services? Whats my safest/easiest bet?

Roxy13

Reaction score
Don't use FromJapan IMO! They rooked me bad on shipping the only time I tried using them.

I've been happily using Jauce. They sure aren't the cheapest on fees, but the packing is excellent. Peace of mind knowing my guitars are going to show up unscathed means I'm willing to pay that extra in fees.

I've never used Buyee or Zenmarket.

currypowder

Reaction score
Don't use FromJapan IMO! They rooked me bad on shipping the only time I tried using them.
I'd like to hear more details, Roxy. I've had my ups and downs with FJ, but shipping charges have always been reasonable. There have been a few times when the initial shipping quote has come in pretty high due to the size of the box. In those cases I've been able to request that they discard the box the seller used to ship to them and repack without it. Shipping was then recalculated and turned out MUCH cheaper (sometimes cut in half).

My bad experiences with FJ have all been related to guitars with no hard case. SO I will now only use them for guitars that have hard cases. Otherwise, my go to proxy is Zenmarket. Their fees and shipping charges seem in line with Rinkya. They also have a reinforced packing option that adds quite a bit of protection if you're buying a particularly special or expensive piece.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'd like to hear more details, Roxy. I've had my ups and downs with FJ, but shipping charges have always been reasonable. There have been a few times when the initial shipping quote has come in pretty high due to the size of the box. In those cases I've been able to request that they discard the box the seller used to ship to them and repack without it. Shipping was then recalculated and turned out MUCH cheaper (sometimes cut in half).

My bad experiences with FJ have all been related to guitars with no hard case. SO I will now only use them for guitars that have hard cases. Otherwise, my go to proxy is Zenmarket. Their fees and shipping charges seem in line with Rinkya. They also have a reinforced packing option that adds quite a bit of protection if you're buying a particularly special or expensive piece.
Initially before I made the purchase they gave me a normal looking quote using EMS. But, then after I bought the guitar they said they could only use FedEx or DHL and then the cheapest shipping option was $240! I contacted them about this and they still said that was all they could do. The guitar did have a case, but the box was really not any larger than necessary for it. Then to add insult to injury they said that quote included my customs taxes as the guitar was over $800. No, it did not and then I got a bill from FedEx for another $50. So nearly $300 to ship a semi-hollow guitar. I will never use them again! I just shipped 2 singlecuts, one with a case using Jauce and EMS for $170.

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
yes I was able to message Vanessa, she said she would tell me when they reopen, no indication. This moring I moved funds into my Jauce account and bid on an auction.

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
Buyee gave me a screw job on 2 jazz basses that I won for roughly $150 per. They said they were too big to ship EMS so the only other option was UPS for $220 per. I had them shipped to a friend in Tokyo and she knows a trick to make basses smaller using a screwdriver.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Buyee gave me a screw job on 2 jazz basses that I won for roughly $150 per. They said they were too big to ship EMS so the only other option was UPS for $220 per. I had them shipped to a friend in Tokyo and she knows a trick to make basses smaller using a screwdriver.
Good deal. Mine was set neck so I didn't know what to do after trying to appeal other than to pay them the highway robbery shipping. I get an email from them like every week now saying I got an account update and I just give my phone the finger when I see it.

currypowder

Reaction score
Interesting how we can have such different experiences with the various proxies. I've used FJ, Rinkya and Zenmarket. My experience can be boiled down to:

FromJapan - By far the least expensive. I've used them the most so I've had more issues with them. My issues have been related to guitars with no hard cases. For awhile, I stopped using them altogether. But I've used them for the last 3 guitars I've imported (with hard cases) without issue. In fact, One of these was a larger semi-hollow that initially had a $250 shipping charge via FedEx. I asked them to repack it, which they did. Was able to then use EMS at a charge of around $150.

Rinkya - For awhile, I stopped using FJ. Rinkya became my go to proxy. Initially, I really liked using them. The packing was very good, IMO. But then their fees (stated and builtin) started creeping up. The straw was they started adding a 20% surcharge to shipping for supplies. I get it, but that, combined with their proxy fee and stated exchange rate was pushing their overall fees too high. So I went looking again.

Zenmarket - Pretty much the same experience as I had with Rinkya. I really like Zenmarkets packing. You can ask them to add additional packing support. Of course, that adds weight and size, so shipping tends to be a little higher. They also have a stated exchange rate which pushes costs up.

Now I'm back to using FromJapan, but limiting myself to guitars that have hard cases. If I come across something I really have to have with no cases, I'll probably look to Zenmarket.

Lumi71

Reaction score
+1 for fromjapan.
basicly no service fees.. resonable shipping fees (around 120 Euro) to Europe. Safe shipping. Never had a single damage witihin 50-60 shipments, including many wihout case... I always use Fedex and it is at my door within 3 days....

currypowder

Reaction score
I'm guessing that others received an e-mail this morning that Rinkya is back in business.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I can't access any auctions on Rinkya. My browsers open on the My Order page and nothing else works. I can't even use the search... just brings me back. I think the site is still down. Any advice ??

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
I still have the same problem, Rinky a is Closed, AFAIC until further notice

m5570

Reaction score
Really? I did one on Sunday & it worked. I’m not entirely sure what’s going on.

GammyBird

Reaction score
When I go to their site I'm directed to the Orders page.

Latest Threads