Right-Handed and Left-Legged

2old2rock

Reaction score
So, I'm picking up this guitar thing again in my early 50's. Haven't played for more than 25 years. It's sobering how out of shape and inflexible I've become; however, spending some time each day with exercises and scales is allowing me to start loosening up a bit.

When I was younger I used to play my Tele sitting down with the instrument resting on my left leg and the neck at a relatively steep angle. This allowed my short T-Rex arms and stubby fingers to reach the fingerboard with a more relaxed posture. It is also closer to the playing position when standing. Now, I know people who are more generously proportioned can play sitting with the instrument on the right leg and be able to reach everything just fine, but for me that causes more tension.

Does anyone else rest their guitar on the left leg, or am I the only weirdo doing it?

I also tend to rest the side of my palm on the bridge, and for me this position seems to be better for picking. I guess it's fine if it helps me play better, but I'm just wondering if anyone else finds this position better for them.

BKS

Reaction score
I do it too, way easier to play in a more classic posture i guess. Did not at first but i love playing flying V's that way so started doing it with all my guitars.

2old2rock

Reaction score
I do it too, way easier to play in a more classic posture i guess. Did not at first but i love playing flying V's that way so started doing it with all my guitars.
I used to have a hacked Jackson Rhoads RR that fit that style of playing perfectly too. It was my absolute favorite studio guitar.

I forgot about classical guitar posture. I just figured that was out of favor for most electric players.

Reactions: BKS

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both legs, mostly right.

Because of my body habitus it's a little tougher to play chords on the low end of the neck with the guitar on the left leg. A foot stool helps.

Welcome aboard, and congrats for getting back into playing.

Latest Threads