Rig Rundown: Jake E Lee

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
this was my introduction to Jake E Lee (before I knew he was the guitarist on Bark at the Moon)...

it was a VHS video that made the rounds in my high school. It was some kind of 'Metal Compilation' tape that I think had Anthrax or somebody on it, so we all wanted to see it and traded the video tape around. But I remember this song because I listened to it a bunch of times and thought the intro riff was just totally badass.

It also had Testament recording Practice What You Preach, and I remember it showed Skolnick just destroying the guitar solo and headbanging so much his headphones fell off while he was recording the solo. :dude:

...can't remember what the VHS was called though.

edit:

at around 1:50....

boy those were the days, when guitar was a lot of fun and a 'lifestyle choice'. :laugh2:

Last edited:

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Jimmy Page---NO......... YOU DO NOT GET LAST PIECE OF PIZZA.....

Jake-----I saved it for you----A MONSTER!

OK , Jimmy you can have my milkshake.......

Must be nice to GODS!

Hamtone

Reaction score
this was my introduction to Jake E Lee (before I knew he was the guitarist on Bark at the Moon)...

it was a VHS video that made the rounds in my high school. It was some kind of 'Metal Compilation' tape that I think had Anthrax or somebody on it, so we all wanted to see it and traded the video tape around. But I remember this song because I listened to it a bunch of times and thought the intro riff was just totally badass.

It also had Testament recording Practice What You Preach, and I remember it showed Skolnick just destroying the guitar solo and headbanging so much his headphones fell off while he was recording the solo. :dude:

...can't remember what the VHS was called though.

edit:

at around 1:50....

boy those were the days, when guitar was a lot of fun and a 'lifestyle choice'. :laugh2:
I saw badlands live in 89 or 90? Anyway they were great

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Jake understands R+R is best when left up to chance.

"This pedal? Germanium.......makes noise...

I had tickets to see Randy, then he died. I saw Brad Gillis, he was terrific. I bought Bark, I thought,

"Cheesy cover. This may fail."

Put on the lp. Holy Hikes, this Jake E Lee is as good as Randy,but, he is meaner,more off the cuff.

Then Oz turned to CRAP........Zach? No thanks. 3 great albums, actually, Speak of the Devil was great too. Not a bad track record for a bloated+old Sabster.

Hamtone

Reaction score
Jake understands R+R is best when left up to chance.

"This pedal? Germanium.......makes noise...

I had tickets to see Randy, then he died. I saw Brad Gillis, he was terrific. I bought Bark, I thought,

"Cheesy cover. This may fail."

Put on the lp. Holy Hikes, this Jake E Lee is as good as Randy,but, he is meaner,more off the cuff.

Then Oz turned to CRAP........Zach? No thanks. 3 great albums, actually, Speak of the Devil was great too. Not a bad track record for a bloated+old Sabster.
Zakk is better on his own than with Oz.

Deftone

Reaction score
I really liked Zakk when he first joined Ozzy. "Crazy Babies" and "No More Tears" especially that solo. I heard it and said "WHO THE F*CK IS THAT!?" Then I saw him play with Ozzy in '89. His guitar solo shell shocked me. My jaw dropped open and I couldn't close it.

Never got into BLM. "Farm Fiddlin" was pretty good though. It was on one of those Guitar World CD's.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Anyone remember Joe Holmes?.... Neither do I....
Joe Holmes got kind of a shitty deal. He played with Oz for six years but Oz didn't record an album in that time so he's that one Ozzy guitarist nobody remembers.

It's weird, because all of Ozzy's guitarists get the spotlight.

Randy was of course a legend, compounded by his untimely death.

Brad Gillis at least got to turn in an awesome showing on Speak of the Devil.

Jake became the cult hero, who's work with Ozzy has undergone a serious and positive reevaluation as of late (I think Ultimate Sin in particular is killer).

Zakk Wylde parlayed his Ozzy tenure into becoming metal king in his own right with his own band.

Gus G is out there killing it with Firewind.

But Joe? The guy's primary legacy seems to be as a shorthand for a particular style of Strat: One that started life as a standard Strat (usually with the CBS headstock) and has been crudely modified with a humbucker and Floyd Rose, usually with copious relicing. There's more out there on the net about "Joe Holmes-style Strats" than there is about his actual playing.

Deftone

Reaction score
I was way into Testament back then, Practice What You Preach was sick, and Skolnick killed. Saw them open for Pantera in '94. Awesome show.

Joe Holmes got kind of a shitty deal. He played with Oz for six years but Oz didn't record an album in that time so he's that one Ozzy guitarist nobody remembers.

But Joe? The guy's primary legacy seems to be as a shorthand for a particular style of Strat: One that started life as a standard Strat (usually with the CBS headstock) and has been crudely modified with a humbucker and Floyd Rose, usually with copious relicing. There's more out there on the net about "Joe Holmes-style Strats" than there is about his actual playing.
Six years with Ozzy is better than what 99.9% of what most guitar players get. It's damn sure better than 11+ years on MLP whining about guitars and other unrelated bull shit. Just sayin'.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I liked all Ozzys work up to No More Tears. I lost interest after that.

(I blame Sharon and the TV show for destroying the mystique and making Ozzy look goofy and weak. )

But everything up to and including No More Tears is some solid work.
Perry Mason is a badass fucking song though.

Originally Ozzmosis was supposed to be a sequel to No More Tears, in the same style with the same producers and engineer. But it got caught up in the alternative fad, to its detriment.

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah i never got into the next album

MSB

Reaction score
I have never been able to get through a rundown with that asshat from PG, he must be someone's family member or blowing the CEO to still be employed there.