Rickenbacker 330 PBR

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I wanted to buy a bright red guitar in memory of my late Dad, as it was his favourite colour. I came across this limited edition 'Pillar box red' 330 and had a road trip with a good friend to try it out. It was even redder in person and quite different to any of my other guitars: Kind of like a cross between a Gibson scale length, but a lacquered maple fingerboard with a narrower spacing.

Every review I found of Rickenbackers seemed to focus on the 'fact' that you can't play rock on them, or lead. They are only meant for rhythm and arpeggios. I took my pedal board to the shop and plugged into a Fender Deluxe similar to my own and played through our cover band set list. Once I'd settled into the feel of it and played with the 5 knobs a bit I soon got a sound I wanted and apart from the action being a little too low for my taste, it played great. Soon sorted that out when I got it home of course. :)

It's hard to convey on screen just how bright it is, but these are the best attempts:
Body 3.jpg

First case picture.jpg

Rear view 1.jpg

I had a display case made a while ago. The hanger was chosen to suit my Gibsons, but it turns out that the Rickenbacker fits and hangs perfectly:

Display case.png

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Every review I found of Rickenbackers seemed to focus on the 'fact' that you can't play rock on them, or lead. They are only meant for rhythm and arpeggios.

I guess nobody ever listened to CCR while John Fogerty played a 5-minute long lead break on "Suzie-Q".

..and he did it on a short-scale Ric 325.

..and the lead to "Green River" .

..and countless other CCR hits.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love Rics.

You got a nice one there.

Love that wall cab!

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I guess nobody ever listened to CCR while John Fogerty played a 5-minute long lead break on "Suzie-Q".

..and he did it on a short-scale Ric 325.

..and the lead to "Green River" .

..and countless other CCR hits.

I think it's as much an indication of reviewer's desire to pigeonhole everything. Do a search on Rickenbacker reviews and you'll see what I mean. Of course you can play rhythm and arpeggios on it too, but the slightly narrower fingerboard certainly doesn't stop me playing lead/doing bends on it.

I like to break with 'tradition' and play songs on guitars other than the ones they are associated with. Sure it might sound a little different to the record, but then if it didn't maybe the venue should just play the record...I'm not in a tribute band, it's a covers band. When I'm playing my own stuff, then I play it on whatever guitar comes to hand. Sometimes that makes me play a little differently, which I like.

The shop keeper made me smile though when I took it to the till: He said "I've never heard Tush played on a Rickenbacker before". Though he didn't mention the brief bit of 'Sweet Child' (it's a bit of a joke with my friend, so we always have to sneak a few bars in whenever playing in a shop, I like to see if it makes anyone twitch). :D

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
Wow that's nice! I wasn't aware of this model, as I haven't really kept up with Ric this century lol
And your display case is awesome. Really love it!

I've got a Ruby red 330 from 1989. Absolutely love it! Yeah sure, Rics have that reputation as a one trick pony. Why? Because they are the best F'n rhythm guitars ever... that's why LOL Beautiful and distinctive clean tones. Or bang out an open chord with overdrive and give that hollow body a good shake ala Pete Townsend. Nothing else quite like them.

But does that mean its a one trick pony? Nope. I saw Mike Campbell playing one live for years. Seemed to be his favorite at that time. It was a black 610 or 620 (I think) with the top horn shaved down. He appeared to be comfortable playing solos on it. Sounded pretty ok to me LOL

However this guy really craps all over that OTP talk. Check him out with his 620! And man... dig those sideburns :p

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Just had a watch...he knows how to play despite the side burns. :D

Rickenbacker did various models in PBR, just 25 of each though. You can get a 330, 360 and 4001 bass, plus one other I can't remember the model of now. It's cool to have something that I'm unlikely to see another guitarist playing if I turn up at a jam night with it. :)

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
Just had a watch...he knows how to play despite the side burns. :D

Rickenbacker did various models in PBR, just 25 of each though. You can get a 330, 360 and 4001 bass, plus one other I can't remember the model of now. It's cool to have something that I'm unlikely to see another guitarist playing if I turn up at a jam night with it. :)
Yep... Unknown Hinson is a hell of a player alright!

I had to laugh when I looked up a 'review" of your guitar on YT. It was about 2 minutes long and the guy just strummed a few chords and turned all the knobs LOL

Jeez only 25 pcs! That's ultra-rare lol I was proud of my 350SH with only 250 produced.
You just rained on my parade :laugh2:

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
Wow that's nice! I wasn't aware of this model, as I haven't really kept up with Ric this century lol
And your display case is awesome. Really love it!

I've got a Ruby red 330 from 1989. Absolutely love it! Yeah sure, Rics have that reputation as a one trick pony. Why? Because they are the best F'n rhythm guitars ever... that's why LOL Beautiful and distinctive clean tones. Or bang out an open chord with overdrive and give that hollow body a good shake ala Pete Townsend. Nothing else quite like them.

But does that mean its a one trick pony? Nope. I saw Mike Campbell playing one live for years. Seemed to be his favorite at that time. It was a black 610 or 620 (I think) with the top horn shaved down. He appeared to be comfortable playing solos on it. Sounded pretty ok to me LOL

However this guy really craps all over that OTP talk. Check him out with his 620! And man... dig those sideburns :p

oops... Mike Campbell's Ric was a 615 that they modified for him. Here are replicas of that one and another that they made for TP. Beautiful!

"Custom Ricks for Tom Petty and Mike Campbell ready to go. These are reproductions for what we did for Campbell per his request in the 90s."

Mike Campbells Ric Replicas.jpg

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
They look gorgeous. Sorry, didn't mean to rain on your parade. :) It's in memory of my Dad, so it's nice that it's something rare and special to me.

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
They look gorgeous. Sorry, didn't mean to rain on your parade. :) It's in memory of my Dad, so it's nice that it's something rare and special to me.
Nah, just joking about the rain lol

Although both my 330 and my 350SH have already been with my son in the States for the past 15 years +, it should be kind of a similar situation for him... :p when I croak LOL

GrandJunction

Reaction score
A couple of my Gibson's have stickers on the case that say; 'My Other Guitar Is A Rickenbacker'.

Enjoy!

Latest Threads