Richard Gere's 1960 Les Paul Standard Sold

janalex

Reaction score
It was not a reneck. No issues except aftermarket Bigsby, non original case, some replaced plastic, worn off decal.

janalex

Reaction score
How low do you think a no break or repair burst will go in the future?

Well,according to my opinion it's not a sign,but a fact that the vintage/burst market has already "crashed" (well relatively speaking).I don't think we're far off from "seeing" bursts changing hands for way less than they used to.I mean,if Gere tried selling it 5-7 years ago,it would easily fetch at least $150,000...

Guru Meditation

Reaction score
How low do you think a no break or repair burst will go in the future?

I wouldn't be surprised if they sell for as low as $80,000 in a few years...:hmm:

($50,000 as you mentioned earlier,is very optimistic...)

weirdotis

Reaction score
Who cares? As long it's not 90% replaced it's forgiven, I would rape this one if I had the money. Dammit where is that winning lottery ticket :laugh2: ?

Well, I'm sure the people who bought it care because all those issues he listed helped bring the price down, which was what 58burst was trying to explain.

yeti

Reaction score
80k is still STUPID money for a guitar, period. The other post had it right: We're conditioned to think it's a good deal by self serving "experts" and anyone who has a stake in this charade, but common sense tells us otherwise. If you spent that kind of money on a guitar I'm fine with that, they are cool, just don't tell me they're worth it.

Actinic

Reaction score
Has anyone read Steve Miller's comment about the auction:

“I wasn’t tempted by anything,” he said. “I have 450 guitars.”

Richard Gere Guitar Collection Fetches $936,000 at Auction - Bloomberg

And that could be the problem with the vintage market, and the regular guitar market. We collectors own too many guitars. Buying opportunities pop up every day. Bidding wars no longer happen, and honestly, it sucks out there right now, if you you have to unload even the mint stuff. Four letter word: GLUT. Fright word: LOWBALL.

Big Red

Reaction score
It looks like RG wasn't averse to buying guitars that were players, as opposed to some collectors who demand all original mint condition pieces. It's a pity that he chose this point in time to sell though.

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Has anyone read Steve Miller's comment about the auction:

“I wasn’t tempted by anything,” he said. “I have 450 guitars.”

Richard Gere Guitar Collection Fetches $936,000 at Auction - Bloomberg

And that could be the problem with the vintage market, and the regular guitar market. We collectors own too many guitars. Buying opportunities pop up every day. Bidding wars no longer happen, and honestly, it sucks out there right now, if you you have to unload even the mint stuff. Four letter word: GLUT. Fright word: LOWBALL.

Steve Miller is an asshole IMO. He has a shit ton of guitars and amps for sale at a local store here.

Aparently, as it was explained to me, a couple years ago there was a fire near his home while he was out on tour and he had to hire a trucking company to go in and empty out his storage building where all his gear is to protect it from the fire. After that he decided he has too many guitars and amps and needs to unload them.

I have no issue with that. Actually makes a lot of sense. What I DO have issue with is that he is trying to sell evrything for MORE than a brand new equivilant. He is puting his signature on everything and thinks thats increasing the value.

REALLY Steve? Personally I don't give two shits about Steve Miller's signature and I actually think it LOWERS the guitars value.... its defaced LOL

One example is he's trying to sell a 2008 plain top washed Cherry R8 for $3,800. Full sticker price on a brand spankin new one is only $3,600. And anyone that even pays full price of $3,600 is crazy IMO.

87Standard

Reaction score
A 1958 Gibson Flying V sold for $74,500 at the auction.

Doesn't that seem low as well?

Let's keep in mind this was an auction for charity... :hmm:

cweckii

Reaction score
Hello gents,

talking about bad prices RG got for his guitars.

What you guys think "he" gained on the amount he paid for the guitars?

100%?:cool:

200%?:naughty:

more?:wow:

I don't think it's worse than what he could have made on the stock market etc.

And don't forget - I'm pretty sure he had lot more fun over the years:dude:

Best greetings, cweckii

13th Floor

Reaction score
I stopped by the Christie's show room twice and played the V. The guy who handed it to me said it still smelled like Albert's pipe....

But even with the King mojo it had nothing on that 1960 Les Paul. WOW.

So glad I went.

tonebone

Reaction score
I stopped by the Christie's show room twice and played the V. The guy who handed it to me said it still smelled like Albert's pipe....

But even with the King mojo it had nothing on that 1960 Les Paul. WOW.

So glad I went.

Too bad that knucklehead Steven Seagal isn't selling the important King V's.

Latest Threads