Ric Ocasek, RIP

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow....

He will be missed...I wasn't a huge fan of the Cars, but listening now...Sounds like it was recorded yesterday...

RIP Rick...

Saw these guys open for Boston in 1977 or 78 ….Along with DEVO....

jb_abides

Reaction score
Oh, such shocking news... too soon to pass! I am just gobsmacked.

My heartfelt condolences to Ric's family, his bandmates [David, Greg, and Elliot], and the extended Cars family.

Ric's music especially with The Cars was not only formative, but very much opened an expansive view linking the rich traditions found in Rock N' Roll with new vistas of New Wave and post-modernism. Very much a fresh outlook and vibe, not only in the songwriting, but sonically and stylistically.

May he rest in peace, and his loved one's take comfort in the knowledge his work meant a lot to many.

Last edited:
Reactions: Who

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh no! That's a kick in the nuts. I can't tell you all how much I love The Cars......what they meant to me in my formative teenage years was immeasurable. So sad to hear this......RIP RIc.

Rds

Reaction score
Too bad. Hate to hear the bad news. My favorite cars song was candy o.

KP11520

Reaction score
When Ben Orr died in 2000 from Pancreatic Cancer (IIRC) I was CRUSHED. I knew there would never be a real "Cars" again! Even that thing they did with Rundgren and Kasim Sulton didn't really get traction.

The original five when together were a POWERHOUSE that no one else came close to, as they OWNED the niche they carved for themselves.

I truly love their music and have such great memories of their days in my soundtrack!

Rock ON Ric and have fun catching up with Ben! I bet you can take it exponentially farther where you guys are now!

And THANK YOU for all that listening pleasure. Take all that GREAT with you!

Reactions: LPG

LPMarshall Hack

Reaction score
Oh, such shocking news... too soon to pass! I am just gobsmacked.

My heartfelt condolences to Ric's family, his bandmates [David, Greg, and Elliot who is a Forum brother], and the extended Cars family.

Ric's music especially with The Cars was not only formative, but very much opened an expansive view linking the rich traditions found in Rock N' Roll with new vistas of New Wave and post-modernism. Very much a fresh outlook and vibe, not only in the songwriting, but sonically and stylistically.

May he rest in peace, and his loved one's take comfort in the knowledge his work meant a lot to many.

Elliot Easton is on this forum?

redjunior

Gak!.... Bozos!
Reaction score
Rest in Peace, Rick... You will be missed:(...

Deftone

Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Cars. Another one I had just seen recently on a special on the US festival. RIP.

electric head

Just passing thru
Reaction score
This really sucks..Saw then a few times but the one I remember was a concert on HBO back in the 80's and he chewed gum throughout the whole concert..

Latest Threads