Rhythm Guitarists

chriskoz

Reaction score
The more I play (which is honestly a lot right now with all the down time) the more I realize how much I like rhythm playing. I've rediscovered players like Keith Richards who did so much with rhythm guitar. Can someone suggest some other rhythm players or songs that have interesting rhythm lines that are fun to play. Thanks

mdubya

Reaction score
Moon AND Entwistle solo'd. Pete did more than keep time though, he had intricate "fills" and "patterns" so to speak, if you cast him in the role of a 6-stringed drummer.
Indeed, Pete was the composer and the maestro. :dude:

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
Lots of punk rock bands have great rhythm parts-- New York Dolls, Pistols, Clash, Damned, Ramones, 999, Social Distortion.

Oh, and a few classic rockers who haven't been mentioned so far, starting with the Originator, Bo Diddley:

With yours truly on bass, haha!

A couple more: the Rev/ZZ Top, and Tom/Mike in T.P. & the Heartbreakers.

Last edited:

brianbzed

Reaction score
The more I play (which is honestly a lot right now with all the down time) the more I realize how much I like rhythm playing. I've rediscovered players like Keith Richards who did so much with rhythm guitar. Can someone suggest some other rhythm players or songs that have interesting rhythm lines that are fun to play. Thanks
Tom Fogerty (RIP)...clean and steady as a rock....we would all do well to emulate that guy!

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Malcolm Young of ACDC - driving, powerful, clean. I like Jailbreak for a masterclass on aggressive rhythmic swagger and stomp. To limit it to one song is silly, there are lots of ACDC songs that showcase his skill. A lot of what people claim to want out of an ACDC is actually Malcolm's sound IMO.

Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols - sounds like a revved up Keith Richards playing Pete Townshend's gear. Hate all you want - the guitar tracks on their swansong album tell you he was a very competent player witth a penchant for tasty two finger pentatonic bullsh** - and I mean that with love. I recommend God Save the Queen for showing all of the above plus his tendency to throw in Eddie Cochrane style slurs.

Ron Wood - nasty, greasy, charming. Ronnie is such a monster on rhythm - he grinds and struts like Keef but he is also capable of the Keith's soulful acoustic/relaxed sounds. Another one who's hard to narrow down - I'd say Stay With Me because I love that whiskey soaked intro.

Joe Perry - another greasy strutting player who sounds to me like a combo of Page and Angus Young. Joe has a great sense of taste when it comes to riffing and his ability to shuffle and swagger is top notch. The rhythm to Walk this Way, overplayed or not, is f***ing perfect. He's bouncing all over the place while providing so much of the song's vibe - and staying in his "space" in terms of the band. That's what great rhythm is all about.

I'm kind of buzzed so... that explains the mouthful. If you want to improve on any of the above or add it to your repetoire, I recommend listening to more of the above - obviously some of them have more material than others, but the thing I like about all of the above is that they took basic ideas and applied them with taste and appropriate technique - really anyone can do it given the right approach.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Brad Whitford of Aerosmith, Train Kept A Rollin' is a fun rhythm guitar song, Adam's Apple is my favorite. Really almost anything by Aerosmith, but especially the older stuff up through Toys In The Attic.

Mike Bruce from Alice Cooper, all those Alice Cooper tunes were fun to play rhythm on.

rogue3

Reaction score
Acoustic is the way to go for more rhythm ideas.Once i evolved into splitting my playing time between acoustic and electric about 10 years ago,my rhythm playing just continued to get better.

Listen to any band whose songs you like that did an *unplugged* version of their songs for ideas.Then cop whatever free tab you can find to fill in the blanks.There is always a new perspective in chord variations someone has suggested...i usually write it up in a lead sheet form and play off that.

Last edited:

Latest Threads