Rewind PAF-1 vs Throbak SLE-101 Plus

bbaug14

Reaction score
Anybody had both? I’m curious how they compare. I have a set of Throbak SLE-101s currently (regular ones, not the plus) and I’m not a fan. To muddy/squishy in the low end. Not enough mid projection. I typically play Wizz, but was looking at these two for an LP. Would love to hear from people who have played both. Thanks.

Last edited:

bbaug14

Reaction score
That's sorta what can happen with Alnico 2. Maybe a magnet swap would be a cheaper option?
I have considered that as well. I’m still very interested in the above comparison though from people who have experience with both.

Marshall50w

Reaction score
That's sorta what can happen with Alnico 2. Maybe a magnet swap would be a cheaper option?
I could be wrong but I think the pickups fitted are SLE 101 Plus. The website says ' The SLE-101 Plus Limited has the same winder configuration as the SLE-101 Limited but with ThroBak custom cast unoriented A5 magnets and extra winds for more mid dominant power and bite. The unoriented A5 has the crunch of A2 plus the added mid projection of A5.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I've had both. And Wizz. All at the same time and played in the same test guitar. All fine pickups. ....but my opinion might not be worthwhile, since I built one of those three sets.

Still, I can tell you all about the difference in feel/sound I experienced I you want to reach out. Then, you can decide if it's the right direction for you and your guitar or not. Only you can know that part.

James

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think the pickups fitted are SLE 101 Plus. The website says ' The SLE-101 Plus Limited has the same winder configuration as the SLE-101 Limited but with ThroBak custom cast unoriented A5 magnets and extra winds for more mid dominant power and bite. The unoriented A5 has the crunch of A2 plus the added mid projection of A5.
I think you're both right. If I remember right, they used to come with A2s by default. I paid a few bucks extra and got mine with both A2 and UOA5, but this was years ago.

MCT

Reaction score
I thought OP was saying he currently has the SLE-101's (which have A2s), and is inquiring about the PAF-1's and SLE-101 Pluses (which have UOA5).

bbaug14

Reaction score
I thought OP was saying he currently has the SLE-101's (which have A2s), and is inquiring about the PAF-1's and SLE-101 Pluses (which have UOA5).
This is correct. I have the regular 101s w/A2s currently. The 101 Plus has A5s and is slightly overwound.

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Been there too, had those (and many more). If the Throbak don't float your boat, then sell them off and try some ReWind. You may be very pleasantly surprised. Of the sets I tried, my preference were the JPPre set.

bbaug14

Reaction score
I've had both. And Wizz. All at the same time and played in the same test guitar. All fine pickups. ....but my opinion might not be worthwhile, since I built one of those three sets.

Still, I can tell you all about the difference in feel/sound I experienced I you want to reach out. Then, you can decide if it's the right direction for you and your guitar or not. Only you can know that part.

James
PM sent

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two good winders in this thread.

jlee

Reaction score
I would try a magnet swap before swapping pickups. Throbak UOA5 are fantastic. If you’re used to Wizz, I would also try A4.

captdan61

Reaction score
I would try a magnet swap before swapping pickups. Throbak UOA5 are fantastic. If you’re used to Wizz, I would also try A4.
Any of you folks ever watch the Doug and Pat show on YouTube? one of the two of them Pat have a 1958 gold top Les Paul Standard which I believe is one of the best sounding last Paul's I've heard in my entire life. The use that is a benchmark and they change pickups pots and capacitors in Doug's Heritage Les Paul guitar at the end up with a pickup from Germany called the spirit of 59 or something like that and they changed the pots and passengers and they get damn close but they spend almost all their time chasing the sound of a paf trying to make a guitar that sounds as good as Oscar it's fascinating and it's cheaper than changing these yourself. I know the exact Les Paul Standard I want I know the color and when I find it I'm going to put the pickup spots and capacitors in that they ended up with but until then I'll have to suffer with my 2016 are R9 with the pickups and potz an stuff I have in that. Which is very nice stuff thank you Rick Norman

zdoggie

Reaction score
I listened to a bunch of different pickup winders and setteled out on thro bak sle 101+they have a tone that my amplifier loves and ther for I'm happy I like many other players love the blues and this combo does it for me btw I play through odsII fuchs 100 watt into a peterson 4X12 1265 celestionsno pedals thats it for me .
zoggie

jbash

Reaction score
a pickup from Germany called the spirit of 59 or something like that
That is my absolute fave pickup out of all the shootouts they did. All of them sound really good, but those I absolutely loved.

Mark1406

Reaction score
Buying another set of pickups is very bad advice. Way too costly.

I would contact Jon at Throbak and discuss what he advises.

I think a magnet swap is your best option. I find unoriented A5 sounds great in the neck position, but there is a lot less bass. If you are after the Tele on steroids thing than it’s a good choice for the neck pickup. I think you can put nearly anything in the bridge position.

I probably would start with A4 magnets, as they are fairly neutral.

Using different magnets is a good option too as you can have a wider range of timbre from the pickups.

Talk to Jon first though, he can offer you the best advice.

MW110

Reaction score
Hi dear experts, I have the same issue and decided to swap the A2 magnets for long A5 unoriented ones. Now there are two versions available, made in Illinois and made in Indiana. Is there really a difference? If yes, which one should I try for a Jimm

JTPhinney

Reaction score
I checked out several high end pick ups and played them through different amps... What I found was some brands sound great playing through a VOX but not so great through a different amp. So the amp seems to have a lot to do with how the individual pick up sounds... I would call Jon at Thro back because he has a lot of experience with coil wrapping and the different types of magnets... he probably also can say which amp brand sounds best with certain pick ups...

AJK1

Reaction score
Anybody had both? I’m curious how they compare. I have a set of Throbak SLE-101s currently (regular ones, not the plus) and I’m not a fan. To muddy/squishy in the low end. Not enough mid projection. I typically play Wizz, but was looking at these two for an LP. Would love to hear from people who have played both. Thanks.
Is this where I come in lol

Reactions: MCT

Latest Threads