ReWind P.A.F. Pickups

Spurg

Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first post, so first and foremost, greetings! Long time reader, first time posting.

I had originally heard of James Finnerty when I bought his book, "The Gibson "P.A.F." Humbucking Pickup: From Myth to Reality". It's pretty much everything you could ever want to know about P.A.F.s for anyone out there looking for a good read.

Anywho, I first worked with James when I had him repair a couple of late 60's Pat # pickups for me. They had come out of my '67 ES-335 and whoever had pulled them out back in the 70's just chopped the leads. So James disassembled them and installed new leads. The work was incredible and the price was fair. He even photographed the whole process for me: https://www.re-wind.net/risa/index.php?/category/433

Fast forward six months and I had been playing an old original '62 Les Paul/SG through a Magnatone Super FiftyNine M-80 that I picked up while on a business trip down in Austin. That guitar, through that amp.... Amazing.

So I called up James and asked if he could help me replicate that sound with my main guitar, an '89 Les Paul which had quite a few different pickup swaps throughout the years. James talked me through the options, spent time explaining all of his different P.A.F.s, and then followed up via email with audio samples through different amps. After a few more emails back and forth I settled on a mixed set of Low Output P.A.F.s: An A2 in the bridge and an A5 in the neck, both with aged nickel covers.

The look, feel, and sound was everything I was looking for. In the end, the A2 was the closest match to the original P.A.F.s found in my Les Paul/SG, but the combination of the A2 and A5 was uniquely perfect. Whereas I rarely used the middle position before, this is where the guitar now spends most of it's time, with both pickups blended together. I also upgraded all of the wiring at the same time with PIO caps and new Pots/pickup selector.

Since then, I've ordered and installed a couple more sets of pickups from James and every time he talks me through what I'm trying to achieve and what options to consider. Most recently I restored a '74 Les Paul for my dad and upgraded the pickups to the same Low Output combo I had put in my '89... He has had that guitar since new, and used multiple combinations of pickups in the past, these are easily his favorites.

I believe good quality and good customer service should be rewarded with kind words. If you're looking for a great set authentic sounding P.A.F.s, ReWind come highly recommended from this new guy.

Cheers!

Spurg

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 5.29.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 5.30.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 5.30.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 5.30.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 5.30.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 5.30.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 5.29.58 PM.png

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great looking pickups and guitar!

My favorite pickup set is the Creme Brulee. I really need to order another one.

Spurg

Reaction score
Wow! That looks great!

It's not an original finish, is it? What a gem!
100% original finish. Very little wear. Original plastics and knobs. Grover tuners. And new pots, caps, and pickups. All of the original pieces saved in the big ol' box in the basement, of course!

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
100% original finish. Very little wear. Original plastics and knobs. Grover tuners. And new pots, caps, and pickups. All of the original pieces saved in the big ol' box in the basement, of course!
Absolutely stunning. Must be the nicest 1974 I've ever seen.

Barker

Reaction score
Another ReWind fan here! James' professionalism, expertise and customer service is outstanding! His pickups are absolutely amazing... with his help I took a guitar that was a 9.5/10 to a 10/10. That's no small task.... I am so impressed every time I pick up my guitar. Thank James!

Well done OP!

RocketKing

Reaction score
Very nice guitar, it's great to hear it worked out well.
I also bought and read the book which I enjoyed just as much as some very informative posts by James and others on this very forum.
I learnt a great deal.
My traditional has a set of paf 1 pick ups with a matching harness with pio caps.
Not only there was the tonal shift I expected going from the stock 59 tributes to the paf 1 set, but the degree of flexibility I get with the controls now is something I had never experienced before.
Just like a usable middle position.
That's something I discovered gradually and thoroughly enjoyed.
When my finances will allow it, I'll change the stock 57 classic in my es 339 for another Rewind set.

Logan_MLP

Reaction score
Agree, I've had great experiences with James - always willing to take the time. I have 2xPAF1 sets a dog ear P90 set and his book. I've been mulling over the 1958 or Peter Green set for a little while...

filtersweep

Reaction score
I have a set of Low Winds in an SG Standard. They are excellent pickups.... probably the best humbuckers I own, for my style of playing.

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to jump on the ReWind fluff boat. I have set of double white PAF-1 in my 2017 R8 and coupled with the MSSC Holy Grail harness is just a great sounding guitar.

Plus he is an absolute pleasure to do business with,

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
Very nice guitar, it's great to hear it worked out well.
I also bought and read the book which I enjoyed just as much as some very informative posts by James and others on this very forum.
I learnt a great deal.
My traditional has a set of paf 1 pick ups with a matching harness with pio caps.
Not only there was the tonal shift I expected going from the stock 59 tributes to the paf 1 set, but the degree of flexibility I get with the controls now is something I had never experienced before.
Just like a usable middle position.
That's something I discovered gradually and thoroughly enjoyed.
When my finances will allow it, I'll change the stock 57 classic in my es 339 for another Rewind set.
Fellow Trad ‘14 owner here RK. Did you get a chance to try out the stock 59 Tributes after the harness upgrade? Thanks!

RocketKing

Reaction score
Fellow Trad ‘14 owner here RK. Did you get a chance to try out the stock 59 Tributes after the harness upgrade? Thanks!
Hi
No, although I was going to swap out only the harness.
But then opted to change the pick ups too.
I'm very happy i did.
The neck pu has now a lot more clarity while being bigger sounding. Despite it being a hotter wind!
I didn't like the 59 bridge at all so big improvement with the swap but that was expected.
It it helps the original harness, that was supposed to be 500k all round, actually was well below 300 k on tones.
I found the original set thin and trebly so I think 500k tone pots would have been even worse.

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
Thanks RK, very interesting view in light of the 59 Tribute love one sees so much of. My Trad ‘14 was my second Les Paul ever (purchased stock in 2015, and first Gibson, I now have 4 LOL) and back then I didn’t know squat about electronics.... I just wanted to get my first to sound like it’s (stock, zingy and bell clear) Edwards predecessor ,,, numerous pickup swaps later I settled on the current combo (see sig) but it was only way more recently that I saw how a top harness improved a couple of other bland and muddy stock Gibby Pauls. I purchased.
Now I’m curious if I should buy another harness and give the Tribute 59s another college try.... but £100 per harness does add up and I’ve pretty much have all my guitars sounding almost exactly how I want them. Thing is, I dunno if I should sell the Tributes or keep them (buy another harness) and continue what now is a slightly redundant tone quest!!

Apologies OP and all for veering slightly off topic.

Latest Threads