ReWind Electric - Rewind of 57 Classic/57 Classic Plus Set

Batman

Reaction score
About three weeks ago I got in contact with James (Cooljuk) at ReWind electric to inquire about the possibility of fixing the 57 Classic/57 Classic Plus set that came with my Les Paul. He said that his Crème Brûlée Set is basically the 57 classic with its deficiencies fixed. I decided on the spot to have him fix these pickups so I pulled and shipped them off; they arrived back here yesterday.

:shock:

Holy Sweet mother of all things holy!!! What a difference from the 57 Classic/57 Classic Plus set I mailed to him! Literally a night and day difference! I found the 57 Classics to be nasal, congested and inarticulate. James took these pickups, rewound them with 42 Gauge Plain Enamel wire with a slight coil offset, replaced the mags with his A2 AlNiCo magnets, left them unpotted and shipped them back. Stock DCR of the 57 Classic neck is 8.5k and the 57 Classic Plus Bridge 8.7k These now read 7.4k Neck and 7.8k Bridge

These pickups are like the rest of the humbuckers that James has wound for me; open sounding, sweet, clear and articulate. These pickups have a little more natural compression than my other ReWind humbuckers due to the low coil offset but IMO, they are perfect in my Les Paul.

I've just spent the better part of 4 hours playing guitar and would have played more but I needed to eat!

WOW!

mdubya

Reaction score
Do they have the warm, smooth character of the the best 57's?

Batman

Reaction score
This is the only set of 57 Classics I have played so I have no frame of reference to draw a comparison.

They are more like the PAF sets he has wound for me. The neck is smooth and clear with great articulation. The bridge is bright and crisp with good bite but it is not sharp or harsh; kind of like a really good Tele.

ARandall

Reaction score
Why didn't you just sell the 57 and + and get him to wind whatever he did anyhow? Seems like a waste of a possible saleable item.

50WPLEXI

Reaction score
James is a great resource, and a cool person to boot. His pups kick ass :thumb:

Batman

Reaction score
Why didn't you just sell the 57 and + and get him to wind whatever he did anyhow? Seems like a waste of a possible saleable item.
I guess you could look at it that way.

I choose to look at it like this. I've got a set of absolutely stellar pickups; essentially a Crème Brûlée Set plus a wiring harness for less than the cost of a single Seymour Duncan Custom Shop pickup. In addition, these were voiced exactly the way I wanted as I prefer the sound of unpotted PAF pickups.

Had I chosen to go the route of selling the existing 57 Classic/57 Classic Plus Set, I would have had the pleasure of dealing with every douchenozzle on Kijiji telling me that my brand new pickups are only worth $25 and they would be happy to relieve me of the burden of owning them. . .oh but wait, they don't have a car so would I mind driving the pickups to the other side of the city. . .

No thanks! :D

This was easier, less painful and in the end less expensive. I have what I want in terms of tone, feel and playability and I didn't have to deal with Kijiji people

ARandall

Reaction score
Fair enough....but you could have said your car was out of order too;-)

Good to see you've got another winning combo. James will hopefully be winding me a alnico staple p90 soon.

Batman

Reaction score
True enough. . .I'm just a crotchety bastage and am starting to get a serious hate on for Kijiji people. :cool:

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Staple P-90's! I've got one of his regular P-90's in the bridge of my PRS SE One and it screams!

I have yet to be disappointed by a ReWind pickup!

NYC LP player

Reaction score
I am also a member of the former 57s club....great mass produced pickup but once you get a set wound you wont go back...enjoy your new PUs

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Howdy hommies! Just got back into town after taking a few (much needed) days off while I had some renovations going on at the shop. I'm tired, but I'm here.

:cheers:

Glad you dig the rewinds (and the ReWinds!), Barry. I realized I still have your factory Gibson magnets. Just let me know if you want them back. They are holding concert tickets to the side of a file cabinet right now, so in a way they are still serving the music industry well. :naughty:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score

Others have told me I should raise the price of my bobbin rewinding service. :dunno:
I haven't.

Batman

Reaction score
Hey James,

The more I play these pickups, the more I dig them! I don't need the Gibby mags back but I'll be in touch when I get back from work about some mags for my #2 SG. I've got 490R pickups in both positions and am thinking that a UOA5 in the bridge and either an A3 or an A4 in the neck would sound nice.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Roger that. I've got some nice choices when it comes to A3 and A4 bar magnets. Every time I try to reduce the amount of magnets I use in my designs, I end up acquiring more and finding that each source/batch has its own strengths.

Rodolphe

Reaction score
My les paul will never part with its PAF made by James...
or maybe only if I sell it,
they are far better than stock gibson
and James is a really nice person to deal with.

I stilll think I have one of the few Rewind sets you can hear in france

Latest Threads