Revisited "Some Kind of Monster" last night.... yeesh.

James R

Reaction score
It's the only movie that I can think of that I walked out of, and I didn't even have to pay for the tickets.
You know it's bad when it's free, and you still feel like you paid too much.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Three guys overly thinking their music. And I don't mean Jason and Kirk.
To my eyes I see people who are completely uninspired trying to force themselves to make an album for purely commercial reasons.

At this point writing songs in Metallica has to be a fucking trip.

They wrote their first four albums because that's the music that was in their head that they wanted to make.

Then with the Black Album they started pursuing a more commercial sound in the interest of expanding their audience.

Their last couple albums have gone back to their thrash roots. Well, why? Is it because that's the music YOU want to make, or is it because that's the music your most vocal fans want you to make, and are you trying to make them happy or are you just trying to make money off of them? At a certain point all of these lines are going to blur and the whole thing just loses credibility.

It's just like, guys, go in the garage and listen to your Sabbath and Zeppelin records and try to have some fucking fun making an album.

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score
I lost a lot of respect for them when they made that, keep your dirty laundry in your own hamper.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Its just his paper thin con game. He isn’t good at convincing me or anyone else of his BS.
His geeky attempts at jokes makes me wonder if he hadnt helped found Metallica he would still be living with his parents.

Side Burns

Reaction score
His geeky attempts at jokes makes me wonder if he hadnt helped found Metallica he would still be living with his parents.
I ain’t his biographer but he apparently came from money. (Good for him) I’ve heard it said he was on his way to being a pro tennis player.

I ran into him in NYC right around the Napster ordeal.

I said, Hey Lars, where’s the band?

He did the hair tuck behind the ear and said I didn’t know it was my turn to watch them in a douchey tone and walked away.

My friend then proceeded to yell, NAPSTER RULES.

I wish i had a copy of the interview in the 80’s where he said that in the 80’s everyone was bootlegging their demo No Life Till Leather and thats how they got big in the scene.

That’s why the Napster thing pissed me off. It was their music and their right, but its 2 faced.
Everyone dubbed tapes but they still got paid.
Its just with digital systems it can be tracked

DotStudio

Reaction score
I wish i had a copy of the interview in the 80’s where he said that in the 80’s everyone was bootlegging their demo No Life Till Leather and thats how they got big in the scene.

That’s why the Napster thing pissed me off. It was their music and their right, but its 2 faced.
Everyone dubbed tapes but they still got paid.
Its just with digital systems it can be tracked
Similar to how the Grateful Dead constantly makes copyright claims on Youtube, when they owe 99% of their popularity to bootlegs.

socialhero

Reaction score
I ain’t his biographer but he apparently came from money. (Good for him) I’ve heard it said he was on his way to being a pro tennis player.
His dad, Torben Ulrich, was a professional tennis player.

He also tried to help them during the recording sessions covered in the movie:

14701B04-D3E8-42B0-994E-F54D839256A6.gif

Too bad they didn’t listen. :laugh2:

I love Metallica but they haven’t done anything I find remotely interesting or sincere in this century.

Last edited:

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
His dad, Torbin Ulrich, was a professional tennis player.

He also tried to help them during the recording sessions covered in the movie:

View attachment 479811

Too bad they didn’t listen. :laugh2:

I love Metallica but they haven’t done anything I find remotely interesting or sincere in this century.
One of the best parts of the movie.

"Cliff Burnstein said we should open the album with it!" :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Malikon

I'm gonna let you down And leave you flat
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The last album Hardwired was good. But i haven't really liked anything they did since the Black album.

The first 4 albums (5 if you count garage days) are fantastic.

After that, after Justice,.. the Metallica ride was pretty much over. They became a different band.

I still really dig James riffs though. Dude has a killer right hand.

I own Kill, Ride, Master, Garage, Justice, Hardwired, on vinyl. That's enough for me

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
The last album Hardwired was good. But i haven't really liked anything they did since the Black album.

The first 4 albums (5 if you count garage days) are fantastic.

After that, after Justice,.. the Metallica ride was pretty much over. They became a different band.

I still really dig James riffs though. Dude has a killer right hand.

I own Kill, Ride, Master, Garage, Justice, Hardwired, on vinyl. That's enough for me
Pretty much the same feeling here.
We really did enjoy most of Garage Inc, including the newly-recorded material
It's too bad they blew the concept for the "Turn the Page" video on "Wherever I May Roam"
Honestly, the stripper life fits WIMR better than "Turn the Page"... the entire restaurant scene doesn't work.

Turn the Page was one that I always wanted to "rock up" in the 80s, but I couldn't get the right sound for it... my style at the time was too glam and it just didn't work. I tried to take it too far with speed and effects. Never thought about just making it more thick and heavy.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
A less cringeworthy version of the film that only wastes 1:25 of your life. NSFW.

When he drops the wine glass, Christ.

They pan from him walking away over to a janitor cleaning up his mess. Cut to him making $15 million on paintings. So gross.

Last edited:

socialhero

Reaction score
And being so bummed he’s selling his paintings for those millions. Selling art. One of the most inflated markets valuing worthless shit, ever. He shoulda been counting his blessings he was walking away with a profit.

Turd.

1199208D-87ED-44E7-9185-440FDE6D5EC4.jpeg

Latest Threads