Revisited "Some Kind of Monster" last night.... yeesh.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I saw it years ago but didn't remember quite how embarrassing it is.

Hetfield skips out on his son's first birthday to go bear hunting in Russia, then acts sad that he "couldn't" be there for him. He's clearly a guy struggling with domestication.

Ulrich gets cunty with him and calls him selfish for spending more time with his family.

Hetfield is so paranoid about people working on the album while he's not there, with him reducing his work day to four hours. He says the thought of working eight hours "scares him." Man I wish I could be paid millions of dollars to play guitar for four hours.

Ulrich lounges at Christies drinking champagne while his art collection sells for millions and millions of dollars.

They have a fucking therapist and it is the cringiest, grossest, lamest fucking thing I have ever seen. Really guys?

The overarching question of the whole thing is "why bother?" If being Metallica is such a pain in the ass for everybody, and you don't like working with each other and you're creatively bankrupt, why keep it going? Why put yourself through this? If you can't just get in a room and jam out the album in two days, what are you doing?

The answer is money, and this is why Metallica was such a hated band at the time (and still is). By this point the band was so fucking corporate that it only existed to make as much money as possible. And because the musicians in it were so fucking loaded and cloistered and completely isolated from their audience, their music had zero self-awareness and authenticity. Lars and James started Metallica when they were 18 and released their first album when they were 20. Essentially, they've been rockstars since high school and have never lived a normal adult life, which makes them totally incompatible with their working class image and sound. The total lack of self-awareness is exacerbated by them being surrounded by Yes Men who tell them that their terrible album is good.

Kirk Hammett is the only guy in the band who's not a dork, and he is clearly fucking sick and tired of James and Lars' bullshit. He keeps quiet in the arguments, except in one time where he has had enough and wisely says "How about we just go in their and hammer it out instead of hammering each other?" There's also the unfortunate, awkward moment where the guys sit Kirk down and tell him they will not be having guitar solos on this album because they're dated, to which he responds "if we try to follow current trends it will date this album to this time," which turned out to be 100% accurate.

Jason Newsted, as it turns out, had more fucking sense than any of them. "Management suggested we have a psychotherapist come in. You know, a guy that meets with pro ball teams, you know big ego, big dollar guys that can’t get along but have to make some kind of entity flow so that everybody can make the money. And I actually said that I think this is really fucking lame and weak that we cannot get together — us — the biggest heavy band of all time. And the things we’ve been through and decisions we’ve made about squillions of dollars and squillions of people. And this? And we can’t get over this?" James told him he couldn't pursue his side-project because it would weaken his commitment to Metallica. Jason responded by ending his commitment to Metallica. Good for him, because this band is a joke.

The only high spot in the movie (emotionally - the movie itself is very good) is when they audition and hire Robert Trujillo. They should have done that from the start.

And to think they wonder why so many people hate them.

PeteK

Reaction score
I never watched it. I've convinced myself they called it quits after Reload. I liked everything they did up to and including Reload. After that, the quality fell off a fucking cliff.

I know most fans didn't dig Load/Reload, but I thought they were great. They went in a different direction and I thought it worked. After that, not so much

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I never watched it. I've convinced myself they called it quits after Reload. I liked everything they did up to and including Reload. After that, the quality fell off a fucking cliff.

I know most fans didn't dig Load/Reload, but I thought they were great. They went in a different direction and I thought it worked. After that, not so much

Side Burns

Reaction score
After load, they became another band.

Meatlica

Rocktalica at BEST,

And when Newsted left because they got too soft, they got a a bit heavier out of spite.

Eat Fuk dumb asses.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
OP is spot on. Don’t forget big baby Dave Mustaine. His scene was the most pathetic. Bitch didn’t know he had more cred than them...right until that moment.

Last edited:

Side Burns

Reaction score
Heavier? I don't know, I gave St Anger a chance. But Lars drums sounded like trash cans and Kirk must have been on vacation while they recorded because I don't remember a single guitar solo on the whole album
Yeyeaa,

i never got into any of the new stuff after they kissed and loaded and reloaded each other.

All marketing ridiculousness. If they were gay or bi then do you. Do it for a PR stunt with a shit album then you are not interested in retaining your fan base.

Did bob rock help with Kill em all. NO Mustane did, but he at least got to punch Lars.

Ok rant over:fingersx:

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
Watch this and puke. This is why there are no solos on the album:

Three guys overly thinking their music. And I don't mean Jason and Kirk.

I think they were over after Reload and should have called it a day after S&M, which to me is a really great piece of music.

It would have made a great swan song.

PeteK

Reaction score
Lars has always been a giant pussy. :rofl:

Along with being overrated as a musician. Dudes got the mentality (and the chops) of an 8 year old. :facepalm:
Lars is the reason I got a letter from Metallica's lawyers back in the Napster days. Yes, I downloaded some Metallica songs. I also happened to own a copy of every Metallica album

Latest Threads