Reverse Firebird pdf plans

valvetoneman

Reaction score
Hi has anyone got proper full size reverse Firebird through neck pdf plans they could send me please or i can download

I want a plan that shows the control cavity and backplate routes too

It's so i can have templates made up in the UK

Thanks Darren

pshupe

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah - I sent Darren the drawings I made and all the pdf Firebird drawings I found on the internet. Mine are CAD plans so if there is anything you need adjusted just let me know.

The vintage Firebirds, I III V and VII, I think, were all built starting in 1963 and they were neck through and should have been constructed much like what I have shown in my drawings. They had that weird join condition for the wings that was about a 35 degree pocket and matching shape on the tapered wings.

wings_angle.JPG

I have a 5 piece laminated neck through construction. I believe the originals had a 9 piece with thin pieces of walnut added to the mahogany skunk stripe. I think I heard the first run of these guitars used a solid piece of mahogany for the neckthrough but had neck break issues and they started using the 9 piece laminate. I also do not think this lasted very long. I'm going from memory here but I think they had a law suit regarding the body shape, so that's why they went with the non-reverse body design and also went with a set neck version. Any insight / confirmation on this would be appreciated.

walnutstrips2.JPG

To me it looked like 1/4" skunk stripe of mahogany with a piece of 1/8" walnut on each side. I have a build thread on here where someone had measured their re-issue, I believe, and they measured a little thinner. I would still be interested in confirming the width of the vintage builds.

Here are the dimensions I used for the neckthrough laminate. I think if you add 1/8" to each side of the 1/4" pieces you'd be pretty close to vintage accurate.

centrestrip.JPG

Cheers Peter.

Last edited:

valvetoneman

Reaction score
Thanks Peter, I'm doing a 9ply mahogany walnut through neck but I'm not slavishly following vintage spec, i want something that looks like a Firebird, I'm also using a 2 way truss rod and body joins will be butt joints, it'll be nice to get this off the to build list

I've got to see if i can get the templates made first, we've got nothing over here

pshupe

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Peter, I'm doing a 9ply mahogany walnut through neck but I'm not slavishly following vintage spec, i want something that looks like a Firebird, I'm also using a 2 way truss rod and body joins will be butt joints, it'll be nice to get this off the to build list

I've got to see if i can get the templates made first, we've got nothing over here
That's cool. I'd like to build another one just to see if I can do a vintage spec one as I am kind of hooked on the vintage finish checking at the moment. I also have lots of walnut, although this guitar uses very little. I can get inexpensive mahogany in those widths as well. I just like laminated guitars for some reason.

I also bought that expensive bit and might as well use it twice! LOL
If you want to do the angled wing join, here is the bit I purchased. It did work very well.
V-bit.jpg

Cheers Peter.

bhmcintosh

Les Pauls, Telecasters, and 12strings
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dropped a PM on you; I've got a Firebird on the to-do list, and having a set of plans would be a big assist. Thanks!

pshupe

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Documents sent. Make sure you create a build thread. :thumb:

Cheers Peter.

valvetoneman

Reaction score
Documents sent. Make sure you create a build thread. :thumb:

Cheers Peter.
Well I sent plans to a CNC guy to get templates made and it's off by quite a way so I need measurements to give him, the body came up maybe 50mm to short lol, nice size for a non replica

pshupe

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I sent plans to a CNC guy to get templates made and it's off by quite a way so I need measurements to give him, the body came up maybe 50mm to short lol, nice size for a non replica
Which plans did you send him? These were printed from AutoCAD 1:1. I just checked the pdf file of the image I posted above and it is the correct size. The center section is exactly 4" (101.6mm).

Cheers Peter.

valvetoneman

Reaction score
Which plans did you send him? These were printed from AutoCAD 1:1. I just checked the pdf file of the image I posted above and it is the correct size. The center section is exactly 4" (101.6mm).

Cheers Peter.
Thanks Peter, I'll send him that one, I think I sent him one in 3 sections because that's how I want the templates, I'll forward your message too

Cheers Darren

pshupe

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ideally you want someone who can take a CAD file and pull it apart and get you just the pieces you need. I sent you a DXF file, which can be opened and modified in CAD and is hard to get the scale wrong.

Cheers Peter.

Latest Threads