Reverse chevron flame top, does it make a difference in value?

Gold_topped

Reaction score
Recently I acquired a brand new 2016 Gibson Les Paul standard T.

All is well with the guitar from what I can tell so far. But it's the first guitar I've seen in person in a long time that had a reverse chevron flame.

Are reverse chevron flames more rare than normal chevron? Is it necessarily worth any more? I don't know if I like it yet personally. But since I haven't seen many, I thought I would ask.

Crappy cell phone provided for reference.
20170930_100753.jpg

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Nice LP and a killer top for sure, but no, reverse chevron won't necessarily add any extra worth IMO. What kind/type of flame people like is totally subjective. Some may like it more, others not as much. What matters is if you like it! :D

Gold_topped

Reaction score
Nice LP and a killer top for sure, but no, reverse chevron won't necessarily add any extra worth IMO. What kind/type of flame people like is totally subjective. Some may like it more, others not as much. What matters is if you like it! :D
Yea its the first I have seen in person, and the first I have owned like this. It kind of bugs me, I have considered exchanging it just for this reason. But if it was any kind of rarity, I'd keep it and it could grown on me.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Yea its the first I have seen in person, and the first I have owned like this. It kind of bugs me, I have considered exchanging it just for this reason. But if it was any kind of rarity, I'd keep it and it could grown on me.
Yeah, Chevron (reverse or otherwise) has never been my thing, but others love it. Again, it's just subjective preference. If you're not digging it, then I wouldn't recommend keeping it in hopes someone else does at some point in the future. Life's too short. Get what *you* want. :D

Gold_topped

Reaction score
Yea good advice. I guess I had just never realized the reverse was an option. I literally had never seen one.

bluesondoor

Reaction score
Should be worth exactly the same as others. As with all guitar sales, you just need the right buyer at the right price.

Gold_topped

Reaction score
Thats true @bluesondoor

It just caught me off guard. But I just checked a few stock photos on some popular online retailers, and a few actually show it as a reverse flame. Interesting.

SoCal Flood

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Killer guitar man! I totally get if it's not to your taste but I certainly thinks it's a looker.

KS 5150

Reaction score
That's a great top! I like that it's bit different....sometimes, they look a bit too much like veneers. Whatever you decide, Good luck!

Gold_topped

Reaction score
I'd hope on a standard and for this price they wouldn't put a veneer on it. It does have a mineral mark or two making it unique.

No ugos

Reaction score
IMG_2839.PNG
IMG_2840.JPG
Recently I acquired a brand new 2016 Gibson Les Paul standard T.

All is well with the guitar from what I can tell so far. But it's the first guitar I've seen in person in a long time that had a reverse chevron flame.

Are reverse chevron flames more rare than normal chevron? Is it necessarily worth any more? I don't know if I like it yet personally. But since I haven't seen many, I thought I would ask.

Crappy cell phone provided for reference.
View attachment 266307

Not sure why you're calling them "reverse" chevrons. The US Navy and the Chevron oil company would disagree with you.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
I'd hope on a standard and for this price they wouldn't put a veneer on it. It does have a mineral mark or two making it unique.
He's just saying it LOOKS like it bcus it's so nice. No real LPs, to my knowledge, use veneer. But I'm sure someone will find & post some weird one-off LP with splalted veneer or some crap, just to show me. That's why I come here.

Gold_topped

Reaction score
He's just saying it LOOKS like it bcus it's so nice. No real LPs, to my knowledge, use veneer. But I'm sure someone will find & post some weird one-off LP with splalted veneer or some crap, just to show me. That's why I come here.
Yea I know what you mean. That's why I hang around also.

Gold_topped

Reaction score
View attachment 266339 View attachment 266340

Not sure why you're calling them "reverse" chevrons. The US Navy and the Chevron oil company would disagree with you.
Also those are vertical. How it would look on a guitar would depend on your orientation.

My top is the opposite of most "chevron" flame tops, as I have always seem them referred to. Mine faces the opposite direction. It was my best description.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
I always thought this pattern looked cool. It makes me imagine the grain was actually straight during manufacturing, then the guitar gods stabbed the neck in like a sword & it caused the grain to collapse.

KS 5150

Reaction score
No Gibson uses a veneer. But sometimes Epiphones use veneers that look a little too perfect, no individuality. What I liked about this top is its uniqueness...YMMV.

murmel

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but a reverse chevron is one of the most serious flaws that can be made in guitar manufacturing. Everyone in the guitar industry knows that tonewise it’s worse than using the wrong plastic for the poker chip. Gibson hasn’t made any for decades, and now several have been spotted in the market. That shows how desperate they are, zero QC. Back in the good days they used the reverse tops as firewood for the BBQ at flamefest, an employee only event that was introduced be Ed Wilson as in incentive for proper QC throughout the company. I am really really sorry, but there isn’t much you can do. Some people claim putting the guitar in straight sunlight for ten hours a day for a period of at least 73 months would have a positive effect. Others say deep freezing in a very strong reverse magnetic field would help reorganizing the cristaline substructures in the minerals contained in the wood. The problem is there are only seven facilities on the planet that could do the job. Most of them are used for military applications, two of them are in North Korea, one is in Iran. The others are in China, Russia and the U.S.. You might want to contact the Iranian facilities, as the are the only ones that are strictly civilan use only. They are located in a cave 700 meters under the desert 350 kilometers northeast of Teheran. Other than that there aren’t many options, and they are all a lot more complicated than the ones I mentioned earlier.
I would probably just keep it in storage until the next pole shift. That will overnight make it one of the best sounding guitars, and you will see a huge increase in value.

oilslick

Reaction score
No Gibson uses a veneer. But sometimes Epiphones use veneers that look a little too perfect, no individuality. What I liked about this top is its uniqueness...YMMV.
exactly, you see a nice top on an epiphone and you just go meh, because you know it's a veneer. on a Gibson you know its a solid maple top