Reverb vs Ebay as a seller

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
in terms of my ebay use its been 21 years, only time i got scammed was selling a nikon d700 camera, My gut said somethings off. the wife as always goes 'it'll be fine' so i post it special delivery and within an hour of deliver i get a message from paypal about a charge back. £2k in what? 2006/7? not small change.

I had already claimed the money so was not overly concerned at this point. So i send off proof of delivery and signature it took about two weeks and paypal rule in my favour. That was the end of it, or so I thought.

6 months later I sell a couple of lenses for about £2.5k and bam the D700 charge back reappears. This time Paypal were stone walling me, not one agent i spoke to acknowledged this had already been resolved 6 months earlier, now it was really stressful, i don't know if original scammer had been watching by auctions and tried filling the chargeback again. was it a paypal employee abusing system?

I have no idea, thankfully I had saved the proof of postage and delivery and again Paypal found in my favour. I did at that point sack PP off and stopped selling on ebay for many years.

I think with the amount of information they have from data harvesting its getting harder for seller scams to be the issue they were back in the day, but of course the scammers have switched to buyer scams.

Its a shame private sellers are treated like businesses and have to pay tax in the USA though, that burns.

Mr French

Reaction score
Anyone know if Reverb has a live person you can speak with? I know Ebay does or did. PayPal yes.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
I listed a Catalinbread pedal on Reverb. It was brand new in the box. … … The pedal was sold in one day. … he wanted to return the pedal because I was not an authorized dealer to sell Catalinbread pedals.
What a dick move.
I would be SO TEMPTED to light his ass up with a string of profanities.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just wire the stranger the money directly to their bank account! what could go wrong? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I buy and sell off of reverb using their own internal payment methods. They do not have the same 6 month “trial” period of PP. This is specifically why Reverb created their own and eBay followed suit. No joke PayPal will force sellers to take back items month later. Look at their return policy. Unless that changed recently.

I sold a guitar to a guy in China and I was unwilling to take any payment that wasn’t a direct wire. He agreed. I wasn’t going to assume any risk with the payment or the shipping. I don’t think you’ll find buyers quite that motivated very often.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So if you sell on Reverb as a new seller, will you get paid direct deposit on the delivery date?
I only have a PayPal due to Ebay and that's all they offered at the time which I still have active.
You can still use PayPal on both eBay and Reverb I think anyway…. You have the option to add your CC and bank info directly and accept their version of PayPal with their own set of transaction fees. On Reverb between shipping, money transfer fees, and seller fees, or can be hundreds of dollars of added costs to your bottom line.

jaqueh

Reaction score
I buy and sell off of reverb using their own internal payment methods. They do not have the same 6 month “trial” period of PP. This is specifically why Reverb created their own and eBay followed suit. No joke PayPal will force sellers to take back items month later. Look at their return policy. Unless that changed recently.

I sold a guitar to a guy in China and I was unwilling to take any payment that wasn’t a direct wire. He agreed. I wasn’t going to assume any risk with the payment or the shipping. I don’t think you’ll find buyers quite that motivated very often.
Yes true, the 6 month paypal money back guarantee is insane

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes you just get taxed on the "profit".

However, that means you have to keep receipts for everything you buy and sell. How do you prove what you paid cash for on a guitar 5 years ago, or even 6 months ago. What if I bought something from a family member?

It takes months for some people to get all of their tax forms in, now people have to wait for a 1099 for every online based payment and barter system in place. Imagine getting a 1099 form Marketplace payments, ebay, from paypal, from venmo, from reverb, on and on and on, and then having to have backup information for each 1099 on what you paid vs. what you sold for. It will take forever for those platforms to get all of those forms process. You would have to wait for a form from every payment service you used that reaches thresholds.

$600 is a ridiculous threshold. Its a ridiculous waste of time and effort. If they want to crack down on people making $500,000 in net profit selling on ebay ok fine. People who just gear swap guitars, magic cards, sneakers, and or sell to apply the money to more gear is freaking ridiculous and simply overreach to track where peoples money is going. None of their F ing business.

I will only sell my guitars face to face most likely from now on, and have stopped selling my stuff on ebay completely. Cash face to face only if I want to sell a couple pair of my old shoes or my old cell phone.

jaqueh

Reaction score
Yes you just get taxed on the "profit".

However, that means you have to keep receipts for everything you buy and sell. How do you prove what you paid cash for on a guitar 5 years ago, or even 6 months ago. What if I bought something from a family member?

It takes months for some people to get all of their tax forms in, now people have to wait for a 1099 for every online based payment and barter system in place. Imagine getting a 1099 form Marketplace payments, ebay, from paypal, from venmo, from reverb, on and on and on, and then having to have backup information for each 1099 on what you paid vs. what you sold for. It will take forever for those platforms to get all of those forms process. You would have to wait for a form from every payment service you used that reaches thresholds.

$600 is a ridiculous threshold. Its a ridiculous waste of time and effort. If they want to crack down on people making $500,000 in net profit selling on ebay ok fine. People who just gear swap guitars, magic cards, sneakers, and or sell to apply the money to more gear is freaking ridiculous and simply overreach to track where peoples money is going. None of their F ing business.

I will only sell my guitars face to face most likely from now on, and have stopped selling my stuff on ebay completely. Cash face to face only if I want to sell a couple pair of my old shoes or my old cell phone.
It was meant for gig workers and ebay/online sales was an unintended consequence

Leee

Reaction score
Nothing unintended about that.
It was aimed at every single American to confiscate every penny they could justify.

But if a bullshit explanation will make voters feel better…

cmjohnson

Reaction score
If ebay payouts are too slow for you, try adjusting your payout schedule in your account settings. It's quite fast for me. And being fully automatic, I literally never worry about it. Sometimes I get a payout notice three times a week. I always have stuff listed and make some sales almost every week.

surge98

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I read that there was bipartisan support for raising the limit from $600 to something more like $5000. There was some hope that congress would do it before the end of the year to avoid this exact situation at tax time, but I've not heard anything further and I doubt it's anyone's highest priority before the new congress is sworn in. But at least everyone's complaints haven't been completely ignored.

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
What a dick move.
The guy was a total tool. He knows what he did was wrong but I was also wrong for not reading Reverb's rules. It cost me $20. Lesson learned. Reverb is all about the buyer. The day the pedal was returned they refunded the buyer and charged me $20 for the return. The following day I relisted the pedal and it was sold that day. No problems with the buyer. I stopped using Reverb. I only use eBay and this site.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
For those of you who use ebay currently, I warn you about this scam which was attempted on me, but I detected it right away and avoided it.

I sold an item to someone whose ebay username was, let's just say it was "Fred21".

Shortly after the auction ended, I got an email through ebay's system from "Fred_21" asking for that item to be shipped to >>>>this address<<<< instead of the one listed in the records.

"Fred_21" was a new registered user, and is NOT "Fred21". But how many people would fail to notice the difference and would ship the item to the address of the scammer, Fred_21?

Of course I reported this to ebay and "Fred_21" was not a registered user within 24 hours.

Be careful to watch the identities of your buyers very carefully. Sellers, too.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
eBay dropped the ball on me with a regret buyer. I had everything in writing that buyer "had second thoughts".
After investigation, eBay refunded their fee, but I had to swallow the PayPal fees. I asked PayPal to refund me, but realized it would take more effort than my time was worth to recover that money.

In the end, I ended up paying like $100 in payment fees plus $120 shipping. Ironically, the week after I was able to sell the guitar for $300 more in Reverb, which basically paid for such fees I had to incur. :fingersx::fingersx:

Last edited:

Radbloke McShreddington

Reaction score
What a dick move.
It may seem a bit dickish but the buyer is 100% correct. Technically the item sold is not 'brand new.' As the seller has already purchased this item from a retail seller it is now classed as a used item, regardless of if it's still in the plastic wrap or it has had a beer poured into the input jack. The correct description in this circumstance would be 'like new in box,' or something along those lines.

Reactions: tzd

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
If you just have one guitar to sell, sell it locally or to a dealer. Even if you get a third less. If it's a vintage or particularly valuable guitar, you won't get a third less, anyway. It's not worth the hassle of setting up an account with either to sell one guitar.

Although buyers are far far far better protected than sellers in any digital transaction, I'd be hesitant to buy a guitar from a seller with no or little feedback. ...and if I see a listing that states the seller is "helping a friend sell a guitar" I RUN from that ad and don't look back. That screams of sketchy, even when it's not.

Leee

Reaction score
I listed a Catalinbread pedal on Reverb. It was brand new in the box. … … I received an email from the buyer that he wanted to return the pedal because I was not an authorized dealer to sell Catalinbread pedals … … even though the pedal was brand new in the box and never used.

It may seem a bit dickish but the buyer is 100% correct. Technically the item sold is not 'brand new.' … … The correct description in this circumstance would be 'like new in box,' or something along those lines.
It’s a fine line to split.
Feel free to further quiz @Gibsonrocknroll about the particulars in this instance, but I tend to side with him on this one.

If the ad was complete, with the full disclosure that it was new in the box, even from a private seller, I think that’s good enough.

If the buyer is that OCD about the seller’s “papers” or credentials, or status of their franchise agreement with a manufacturer or a distributor, then I would say it was on him to make damn sure who he was buying from.

In my experience over the past 20 years, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to answer questions that were already answered in a clear and concise description of the item listing.
People don’t read.

Of course, the description of my “shop” on Reverb makes it very clear that I am not a store or a dealer.
I’m just an old guy that likes to buy cool stuff.

I understand that full disclosure is always a good idea, and it is easy enough to be disappointed, but the few times that I ever had an issue with a sale or purchase on Reverb or eBay I communicated directly with the seller.
I wouldn’t dream of pulling the rug out from under somebody over a transaction and jeopardize their feedback rating without an attempt to communicate directly first.

THAT is a dick move.

Latest Threads