Reverb vs Ebay as a seller

Mr French

Reaction score
A few years back I used to do Ebay as a small gig but then I closed up shop. Not sure how it is today but I'm planning on listing a guitar of mine just not sure which is the better route to go in terms of seller protection. I don't want to get scammed on losing the guitar or money.

Not sure if I can still access my old Ebay account but I know 2 people who are willing to help with listing it for me. Talked to another buddy of mine & he's offered to help with Reverb as he's planning to open up shop with them.

So my questions are how does one get paid and when?
Who has the better seller protection and any tips on this?
Is it even worth listing with these companies?

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
I don’t sell much, and I haven’t in several years.
I was on eBay for almost 20 years before I jumped ship and went to Reverb.

Of course, Reverb has raised its fees, and there are federal regulations that are a pain in the ass no matter which platform you use.

Ninja1195

Reaction score
Reverb has zero fees until you sell the item and at that point they collect.

Ebay has an instant listing fee, larger photos fee etc....

And if it does not sell in the designated time frame (ie one week) you are still charged regardless.

Avoid the leeches at Ebay and stick with Reverb is my advice!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
either has its flaws for seller protection in some cases, for me as a seller ebay works out a lot cheaper than reverb, as i get frequent 80% discounts on fees because of my good seller reputation.

It is funny when someone low balls me and offers to buy direct, and I reject it, they always respond 'but you'll save 10% fees'. nope.

My average cost to sell on ebay is 2.6%. I wouldn't use it if any higher. I am UK based seller so we may get different terms to other countries, i do not get any charges to list an item either. also do not get charged anything if item does not sell.

Airplane

Reaction score
i sell a lot of stuff on ebay and it has become a mess over the last years. the buyer is the king and can do pretty much what he wants. i had several sales where the tracking clearly showed that the items arrived but the buyers claimed they never got it and i had to refund the money. luckily these were cheaper items.. i have my guitar stuff on reverb for now.

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
My opinion: for small/lower-priced items, eBay and Reverb are pretty interchangable. For a higher-value item like a guitar, I'd go with Reverb over eBay any day. Is it still possible to get screwed on Reverb? Of course. But I think they offer better seller protections than eBay, especially on shipping. I'll ship pickups and parts and pedals all day, but I only do local sales for instruments and amps. Just my personal preference.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They are both an issue now for a few reasons:

1) you will get 1099’d if you have more than $600 in sales cumulative.

2) their fees have gotten outrageous and require a lot of direct connect to your bank.

3) they both have iffy return policies that strongly favor buyers.

4) both eBay an reverb have their own direct payment to and from your bank. Reverb you don’t get paid until your item is delivered for the first couple of transactions then they might move your payment after you provide tracking.

5) Reverb is much more active with negotiations in disputes and more friendly to sellers if you use their payment system.

6) eBay is pretty cut and dry and don’t negotiate. I had a guitar that was a fake with a fake COA and since it was over 30 days they would not assist. They refused to get involved and I successfully disputed with my CC company. I never heard a single thing from the seller or eBay after I filed the dispute.

Don’t use PayPal, since people can process returns after serval months of use.

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
I listed a Catalinbread pedal on Reverb. It was brand new in the box. I purchased the pedal but decided to go in a different direction. The pedal was sold in one day. I shipped the pedal out the following day. I received an email from the buyer that he wanted to return the pedal because I was not an authorized dealer to sell Catalinbread pedals. You can't list an item as brand new unless you are an authorized dealer even though the pedal was brand new in the box and never used. I had to refund the buyer and pay the return shipping. The buyer is always right on Reverb. Esty purchased Reverb and upped the fees. Also if you receive $600 or more in sales you have to claim it on your taxes. You are better of selling it here on mylespaul.

Last edited:

VDeuce

Reaction score
Most of my listings that are on both Reverb and eBay sell on eBay, for what that's worth. eBay still has a much higher reach than Reverb.

I have had limited success listing on sites such as this one and TGP. Everyone wants a deal below market value.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I've been an ebay seller for 23 years. I've seen many changes there, which never benefit the seller, always the buyer. And that's absurd, because only the sellers pay the fees that keeps ebay running.

Musical gear gets sold on Reverb. Everything else goes on ebay unless it's not something people will pay to ship. I do local sales of that type via craigslist and FB marketplace.

There's little doubt that the government is out to steal money in the form of taxes, a privelege it granted to itself without the expressed consent of the people. And then it will waste that money on things we don't want or need, or things that don't work.

Peter M

Reaction score
Well the modern "payout" systems on both sites are slow as shit and I hate them for that.

I've had over 300 happy transactions on eBay and maybe 1 or 2 dicktards. I trust eBay.

Reverb I have used only a few times. But it seems to me like there are more flaky bedroom players / collectors on there asking lots of annoying questions. I don't think I'll use it again.

jaqueh

Reaction score
Reverb has zero fees until you sell the item and at that point they collect.

Ebay has an instant listing fee, larger photos fee etc....

And if it does not sell in the designated time frame (ie one week) you are still charged regardless.

Avoid the leeches at Ebay and stick with Reverb is my advice!
Not true: no instant listing fee, larger photo fee is optional, if you choose auction and set a minimum price then you get charged that "week" fee otherwise there are no other fees. eBay charges 6% and reverb charges 8%, so you get to keep way more of your final selling price with eBay than reverb.

Mr French

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies fellas. I will look at them shortly, just wanted to point out I have not been receiving reply notification on this thread so I will do some reading shortly.

Mr French

Reaction score
They are both an issue now for a few reasons:

1) you will get 1099’d if you have more than $600 in sales cumulative.

2) their fees have gotten outrageous and require a lot of direct connect to your bank.

3) they both have iffy return policies that strongly favor buyers.

4) both eBay an reverb have their own direct payment to and from your bank. Reverb you don’t get paid until your item is delivered for the first couple of transactions then they might move your payment after you provide tracking.

5) Reverb is much more active with negotiations in disputes and more friendly to sellers if you use their payment system.

6) eBay is pretty cut and dry and don’t negotiate. I had a guitar that was a fake with a fake COA and since it was over 30 days they would not assist. They refused to get involved and I successfully disputed with my CC company. I never heard a single thing from the seller or eBay after I filed the dispute.

Don’t use PayPal, since people can process returns after serval months of use.
So if you sell on Reverb as a new seller, will you get paid direct deposit on the delivery date?
I only have a PayPal due to Ebay and that's all they offered at the time which I still have active.

mjross

Reaction score
I recently checked out Sweetwater’s Classified and they also require a 1099 for anything over $600. However they did state that you only have to pay tax on profit. The way I understand it, if you can prove you lost money there’s no tax. Still a PITA as most people probably don’t have proof of purchase for items they purchased years ago. I know it would be difficult to produce proof for a lot of my stuff. Probably best to sell on forums like this though you will have a much more limited audience!

Edit, found the info on the Sweetwater site!

Last edited:

Mr French

Reaction score
Sell it here
Thinking about that too just not sure there will be many interest here. If I do so, the transaction will not be done via friends & family but for good & services. Just want to do the right thing and play by the rules. I've had many tax issues since 2008 and I will never forget them. Currently I am clear of every tax issue and now am just a regular joe.

jaqueh

Reaction score
Thinking about that too just not sure there will be many interest here. If I do so, the transaction will not be done via friends & family but for good & services. Just want to do the right thing and play by the rules. I've had many tax issues since 2008 and I will never forget them. Currently I am clear of every tax issue and now am just a regular joe.
Goods and services are subject to the same $600 tax stuff

Mr French

Reaction score
I recently checked out Sweetwater’s Classified and they also require a 1099 for anything over $600. However they did state that you only have to pay tax on profit. The way I understand it, if you can prove you lost money there’s no tax. Still a PITA as most people probably don’t have proof of purchase for items they purchased years ago. I know it would be difficult to produce proof for a lot of my stuff. Probably best to sell on forums like this though you will have a much more limited audience!
Agreed with the limited audience
Goods and services are subject to the same $600 tax stuff
I'm perfectly fine with that. Not looking for any loop holes or potential issue and I've been done trying skip around all that mess.

Latest Threads