Reverb tank upgrade recommendations? PRS HG70.

pillbug

Reaction score
I have this PRS head which I LOVE ... but the spring tank is very hissy/noisy when you turn it up past noon, and you have to turn it up past noon to get enough of the mix in there. So I am wondering what would be a good spring tank upgrade for this amp, that would have good presence, dwell, and tone, without all the extra noise?

48632027-35D7-4485-8BAD-E15662E0C402.jpeg

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Reverb tanks are highly susceptible to interference. Could even just be deteriorated shielding on connecting wires.
As far as replacement tanks your choices are Accutronics and Mod, with Mod being easier to obtain these days. They’re both good, but I can’t help you with the correct tank. There were only 250 of your amp made, so be sure to save the old parts for future collector resale. If you pop that sucker open it’ll be some reverb tank that was for sale in the mid 80s, shouldn’t be too hard to replace. There will be a part number printed on it, you may need to unscrew it to get at it

jlee

Reaction score
The Korean made Accutronics tanks are notoriously delicate. I prefer the sound to MOD tanks, but be prepared to replace your Accutronics. The Accutronics aren’t as splashy. If you’re after Fender style splash and drip, the MOD would be a better choice.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
While I totally appreciate purity, might I suggest an awesome reverb pedal (of which there are a plethora for all budgets) in the loop? I was going to fix the Accutronics tank in my Peavey Bandit, but instead found pedals sounded better, gave more options, some were a cheaper 'fix' and all were more fun! :cool2:

YMMV

pillbug

Reaction score
While I totally appreciate purity, might I suggest an awesome reverb pedal (of which there are a plethora for all budgets) in the loop? I was going to fix the Accutronics tank in my Peavey Bandit, but instead found pedals sounded better, gave more options, some were a cheaper 'fix' and all were more fun! :cool2:

YMMV
I play lots of different reverb pedals thru the front of the amp. Haven’t used the loop. I’ll try that!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I play lots of different reverb pedals thru the front of the amp. Haven’t used the loop. I’ll try that!
I found that even the most basic reverb pedal was as good or better. I had a Mooer ShimVerb in there, and while most of the Strymon effect it was trying to be SUCKED, the ‘spring’ setting was great (maybe not to a point of drenched effect, dunno exactly what you’re after). A used analog Tech 21 pedal in the loop was otherworldly.

pillbug

Reaction score
I found that even the most basic reverb pedal was as good or better. I had a Mooer ShimVerb in there, and while most of the Strymon effect it was trying to be SUCKED, the ‘spring’ setting was great (maybe not to a point of drenched effect, dunno exactly what you’re after). A used analog Tech 21 pedal in the loop was otherworldly.
Thanks. I have a HOF that I’m gonna try.
like your new avatar btw.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Thanks. I have a HOF that I’m gonna try.
like your new avatar btw.
Perfect! I look forward to your impressions.

Thanks! (I guess? I'm only borrowing it). Always loved that album cover. However, I realized that much of my pentatonic wanking is fully (subconsciously?) inspired (lifted?) from Eddie Hazel's playing. As well, 'Maggot Brain' as a 'state of mind' seems apt for the times.

I hope to one day replace it with a pic of my aging ass on an axe trying to once again claim some local glory (and having a blast in the process).

pillbug

Reaction score
Perfect! I look forward to your impressions.

Thanks! (I guess? I'm only borrowing it). Always loved that album cover. However, I realized that much of my pentatonic wanking is fully (subconsciously?) inspired (lifted?) from Eddie Hazel's playing. As well, 'Maggot Brain' as a 'state of mind' seems apt for the times.

I hope to one day replace it with a pic of my aging ass on an axe trying to once again claim some local glory (and having a blast in the process).
HOF in the FX loop sounds great! I also found my new favorite drive pedal, the Greer Southland. Had a touch of Slapback via the Supro delay (into front of amp, no particular reason other than laziness).
Was playing my Rock n Roll relics Heartbreaker. Had it cranked up as loud as I’ve ever played in the house, for an hour this morning, windows open and cloudy breeze coming in, it was Magic!

3D06F399-62EC-4BDE-98A2-FE887872A6F7.jpeg

Latest Threads