Reverb purchase issue, need advice

fry

Reaction score
Had my eye on one of those Custom Blackback Epiphone LP’s. Seller lowered the price to a point that I was happy with, so I pulled the trigger. He had it pictured in one of those really nice TSA cases with the super padded and supportive red interior. The guitar arrives today, it’s in a standard run-of-the-mill Epiphone case. Not the end of the world, but intentionally deceptive from my point of view. Furthermore, he didn’t pack it very well, and the toggle switch snapped off in transit because he left the switch tip on. Again, not the end of the world, it wouldn’t hurt to upgrade the switch anyway. So I go on and ask for a partial refund, I just pulled a number out of my ass to cover the switch replacement, and the case switcheroo I asked for a $100 partial refund. the guy was not pleased, thinks the case isn’t a big deal, but he’s willing to kick back a little something for the switch. He said, the nicer case in the picture was only for “display”. I think that’s bait and switch, even though this case is also nice. I have Reverb involved now, and we’ll see where it goes. Anyway, do you think I asked for too much with the $100? I thought he would make a counter offer, but he has yet to do so. Here’s a photo of what he listed and what I got.
10D25E28-DDE1-4292-9460-1E10724911B2.jpeg
5EB1D436-4CD4-40C3-B713-CA490B6F5B6C.jpeg

Spirit

Reaction score
deception is deception,no matter which way you spin it,if the guy was honest he would of displayed it the case it was coming with,
in this world we inhabit now integrity is everything,trust should repayed with kind,
if we don’t have honesty we have nothing in this life or the next,
hope you get it sorted out

fry

Reaction score
deception is deception,no matter which way you spin it,if the guy was honest he would of displayed it the case it was coming with,
in this world we inhabit now integrity is everything,trust should repayed with kind,
if we don’t have honesty we have nothing in this life or the next,
hope you get it sorted out
That’s kind of how I feel about it, and I’m trying to meet him in the middle. I was tempted to just ask to return it for a full refund, but I’m willing to negotiate.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The SKB 56 is a $220 case, Gator is around $190.
$100 off is probably a bit much, considering you're not going to get an Epiphone case for less than $150 shipped...

But he's lucky you don't return the whole thing "Item not as described/pictured" and make him eat the shipping both ways. If the reverb listing didn't describe the included case, and did not say "case for display", then it is reasonable to expect that you were getting the ABS case.

Hecubus

Reaction score
Did the ad say it came with a case? Any reasonable person would assume it was referring to the case in the photo. It is nonsense to advertise a case that you do not intend to include.

I think $100 is totally reasonable for the cost of repair and the disappointment of not getting what you thought you were buying.

fry

Reaction score
The SKB 56 is a $220 case, Gator is around $190.
$100 off is probably a bit much, considering you're not going to get an Epiphone case for less than $150 shipped...

But he's lucky you don't return the whole thing "Item not as described/pictured" and make him eat the shipping both ways. If the reverb listing didn't describe the included case, and did not say "case for display", then it is reasonable to expect that you were getting the ABS case.
I did want that case, but it’s not necessarily a dealbreaker. I think the Epiphone case is currently about $129, I estimated the other one at at least $200. That plus the damage to the toggle switch, and I just threw out the $100 figure. I kind of assumed it would be a starting point, don’t necessarily expect to get all of it. If he digs in and acts jerky, I will probably just ask reverb to let me return it for a full refund.

Spirit

Reaction score
That’s kind of how I feel about it, and I’m trying to meet him in the middle. I was tempted to just ask to return it for a full refund, but I’m willing to negotiate.
and that in itself is a sign of your Character,hopefully he will understand and settle fairly,

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've been a victim of the ol' case switch myself, and it sucks. Seems like that's an easy enough guitar to find, so it would depend on how good of a price you got in the first place. You should definitely be able to return it as "not as described" and have Reverb back you up, if you want to get your money back and start over.

Do you like the guitar otherwise?

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
I’m not paying an extra cent for “purchase protection.”

Seller advertises his item.
If I like the item?

I look at the price and make a decision based on the information at hand.

If I decide to buy, I will accept nothing less than exactly what was advertised.

Me?
I would have given him about 15 seconds to explain how he was gonna make it right before I returned it for a full refund.

No negotiations.
Full refund - NOW.

Every one of the dozens of guitars I’ve sold out of my personal collection was better than advertised, and included something extra in the case.

An extra set of the strings already on the guitar, the old volume/tone knobs I didn’t say I was sending, or some kind of related trinket.
Most people acknowledge it with a thank you, a few didn’t act like they cared, but I do it anyway.

I expect no less in return.

bytemare

Reaction score
I have one of those guitars, sweet!

I think the reverb verbiage is:
"This item is sold As-Described and cannot be returned unless it arrives in a condition different from how it was described or photographed"

Definitely different than photographed, and that kind of deception would really bug me to the point of returning it, UNLESS it were such a great price that I couldn't get it anywhere for that price anywhere else. But I'd look over the guitar really good to make sure there isn't anything else going on with it.

If you do keep it, enjoy! It's a super nice guitar!!

Reactions: tzd

Colnago1

Reaction score
Offer to swap cases and $80 returned to you. He pays shipping on the cases. Reverb will agree to that as it is closer to what was promised and it’s a hassle for you.
It’ll cost you $60-$80 to get the switch replaced professionally.
Otherwise full refund please!

Mr French

Reaction score
I reckon that is now a salvage title...

back in 06 I purchased a 93 classic premium plus and a 93 standard from Ebay. Seller never took the toggle switch tips off and both exploded. The 3 way switch on the classic was no longer straight and would dip when positioned in the middle.

Wish I did something about it back then but I didn't open the package for 2 months as I was traveling on business.

Latest Threads