Reverb Bought Out By Etsy

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I guess this is why Reverb started charging tax last week on my purchases. I guess it's back to ebay for me
Oh, I don’t think so. This is something that’s been coming for a while now, and it’s going to apply to all online shopping. It’s definitely happening, there will be no escaping it.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Premium Member
Reaction score
well at least it's not ebay buying them, but in all honesty, reverb has started to be a shitty way to sell your shit imho with their fees and all. But at least they don't bow to the buyer the way ebay does, paypal notwithstanding....

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
at least they don't bow to the buyer the way ebay does, paypal notwithstanding
Yeah, if you use PayPal, you’re still in a bad position. I switched to Reverb’s own system for accepting payments. I had a guy try to back out of buying an amp after I had already shipped it. He admitted that he had one given to him, and then he just wanted to back out of the deal. I contacted reverb, and they basically told me that all he asked to do is make up a story to PayPal, and that will be enough for them to force me to accept the item for a refund. The guy told me to switch to theirs, they are a lot tougher and more realistic. I think they give a buyer seven days upon receipt of the item to make some kind of complaint. PayPal gives people literally months, they can make up any story out of the blue three months later and they win.

joesatch

Reaction score
Oh, I don’t think so. This is something that’s been coming for a while now, and it’s going to apply to all online shopping. It’s definitely happening, there will be no escaping it.
i dont think tax should be charged on used items bought from another individual.

judson

Reaction score
there are states that if shipped there, you will not be taxed as some states have no sales tax......been goin on for years and will continue

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
One sells inexpensive garbage to women, the other sells higher-priced stuff to guys.

Look around your county, what do you have more of Target/Marshalls/Pier One/HomeGoods or music stores?

:)
AMEN!! Let's hope someone has the fast sense to recreate an honest replacement then for Reverb, because it Etsy is involved I won't touch them with a ten-foot pole. Etsy = Walmart. May as well shop classic vintage on EBay.

You think this is Exciting? Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ....

bblooz

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting comments and anecdotes. My concern would be changes to the Reverb membership agreement. You know - all that multi-page legal mumbo jumbo that most people don't read, and even fewer even understand. I am cautious about having my email, personal information, etc. shared freely now with Etsy, and being bombarded with even more marketing Spam, selling my selling and purchasing history with God knows who!

Gibsonian

Reaction score
There was a news report about a year ago with some people complaining how Etsy had changed from the original concept (i.e. crocheted pot holders) to accepting sellers who offer mass produced goods.

Reactions: Who

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
I guess this is why Reverb started charging tax last week on my purchases. I guess it's back to ebay for me
eBay has already started collecting sales tax as well (at least in my state).

bblooz

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
eBay has already started collecting sales tax as well (at least in my state).
ditto - it depends on the point of origin, however. I seems like adjacent states have arrangements to collect and share sales taxes. I agree with a previous post here, that once sales tax has been collected on the original retail purchase, second-hand re-sales should be exempt.

Ghostman

Reaction score
AMEN!! Let's hope someone has the fast sense to recreate an honest replacement then for Reverb, because it Etsy is involved I won't touch them with a ten-foot pole. Etsy = Walmart. May as well shop classic vintage on EBay.

You think this is Exciting? Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ....
Are you implying that Etsy is owned by Walmart? Or that they are the "walmart" of e-commerce? Their CEO and financial team sure are a bunch of egg-heads imho. :D

Roxy13

Reaction score
There are some truly great craftsmen on Etsy. It's not just junk and cheap stuff.

However, I'm not sure if this is good or bad news for Reverb as at least CME are musicians.

I've only used Reverb CS once through chat and they answered me almost immediately. That was over the guitar that USPS lost for 3.5 weeks.

MichaelAndrew3435

Premium Member
Reaction score
I like Etsy. I use it to buy sloth themed gifts for friends and family.

sloth retire.jpg