Reverb Bought Out By Etsy

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
ETSY is THE place to buy hand made, unique and personalised guitar straps.

cheers

Reactions: Who

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I have been having an issue with reverb that I spoke about in a thread of its own. Maybe it’s just coincidental, but now that this announcement has been made, their customer service has disappeared. I haven’t gotten a response via email in about five days now. They used to have a chat option, where you could immediately speak to someone, that seems to be gone now. I am trying to call this morning, the recording keeps telling me that I am outside their hours, which I am not.

• Sad

DotStudio

Reaction score
I have been having an issue with reverb that I spoke about in a thread of its own. Maybe it’s just coincidental, but now that this announcement has been made, their customer service has disappeared. I haven’t gotten a response via email in about five days now. They used to have a chat option, where you could immediately speak to someone, that seems to be gone now. I am trying to call this morning, the recording keeps telling me that I am outside their hours, which I am not.
My assumption is that the staff is all out on Lake Michigan partying it up on the yacht the founder just purchased from his windfall. They'll probably get back to you once the hangover clears.

Last edited:

goodvibes

Reaction score
Great deals and customer support on Etsy, not so on Reverb so this is good news to me so far. Reverb was great for selling but not great for buying. Customer support was pretty much nil.

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Great deals and customer support on Etsy, not so on Reverb so this is good news to me so far. Reverb was great for selling but not great for buying. Customer support was pretty much nil.
My customer service experiences on Reverb have been very positive. I had a little rough patch here recently when I wasn’t able to contact them for some reason. I finally got ahold of them yesterday, and the result was excellent. Can’t speak for Etsy, I don’t shop there, because I’m a guy.;)

LuckyPal

Reaction score
FWIW.......

"I have some exciting news to share. Earlier today, we announced that we signed an agreement to be acquired by Etsy. We expect the acquisition to close in the coming months. When it does, Reverb will remain a standalone business, but will have the added support of Etsy—the global online marketplace for handmade and vintage items, with millions of buyers and sellers from nearly every country in the world.

With Etsy as our parent company, we’ll remain the marketplace built for the music community by a team of musicians and music lovers. Your ability to buy, sell, learn, and connect on Reverb will not change. At the same time, we’ll have added resources to continue growing and improving the Reverb community. You can read more on our blog.

Thank you for helping us get to this exciting point. Without you, Reverb is just a website. Because of you, Reverb is the best community online for musicians and music lovers from all over the world to connect over the perfect piece of gear. And together with Etsy, we’ll continue to make the world more musical together.

To Reverb’s next chapter,
David Kalt
CEO / Founder"
Stop using Affirm! Affirm doesn't send monthly statements , the customer gets hate mail from Affirm after paying complete balance less than 30 days, they use strong arm e mail . Get rid of Affirm! Synchrony is head and shoulders above
Affirm in business ethical issues.

Naquat

Reaction score
Wasn't Reverb owned by Chicago Music? At least they were musicians who understand the Music Business. Etsy? I don't know, but I'd suggest that since a corp. bought Reverb we'll start to see Fees Rise so they'll be close to eBay. Just a thought.

Leotis

Reaction score
I've never had anything but tremendous customer support from Reverb. Well...before the acquisition, at least. I've used the chat function and had issues resolved within minutes of them occurring...more times than I can count. I can't say I'm very optimistic about Etsy buying them out.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Stop using Affirm! Affirm doesn't send monthly statements , the customer gets hate mail from Affirm after paying complete balance less than 30 days, they use strong arm e mail . Get rid of Affirm! Synchrony is head and shoulders above
Or you could just buy what you can afford.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
or, you could just take a flippin hike since you are contributing nothing to the conversation....

scrumm21

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I have used Affirm about 10 times now buying musical gear ( prob with an avg purchase of ~$300) I have paid off almost every one within 4-5 months, with a couple within 30 days ( saving lots of interest $ ) and have Never received "Hate Mail" from them. I have No issues with Affirm.

goodvibes

Reaction score
My customer service experiences on Reverb have been very positive. I had a little rough patch here recently when I wasn’t able to contact them for some reason. I finally got ahold of them yesterday, and the result was excellent. Can’t speak for Etsy, I don’t shop there, because I’m a guy.;)
I'm guessing you were selling on Reverb not buying. Anyway, Im not saying Etsy will be any better. If you can't speak for Etsy you should not assume it is only for guys. There are tons of guitar and music related items on Etsy. Check it out sometime if you want. I bought a boutique guitar pedal (klon clone) and a very cool guitar stand on Etsy.

goodvibes

Reaction score
With any luck, maybe they will change their name. "Etsy" does sound a bit too "powder puff"

StudioFan

Reaction score
I am an Etsy seller and buyer also major Reverb and EBay buyer but trying to stop !

I have a thing for ashtrays
I love a nice clear ashtray .

I sold some 10k gold on Etsy and it wasn’t on there for long before my phone made the money sound !

Hope they do not change Reverb but why would they .

It is a proven and successful platform .

Also there is a new thing called Reverb LP where you can buy and sell records which is super cool .

Already have the app on this phone and ready to go !
Which records should I sell , hmmm .

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
One sells inexpensive garbage to women, the other sells higher-priced stuff to guys.

Look around your county, what do you have more of Target/Marshalls/Pier One/HomeGoods or music stores?

:)
I bought a $2500 handmade solid cherry king size bed off a seller on Etsy. It not all cheap jewelry....

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
You learn something new every day. I’m not even joking, I really thought Etsy was just a place for people to sell their crap they made in the garage, stuff like pot holders and the like. I had no idea. This discussion led me over there to take a closer look. I really couldn’t get beyond the main page, but I’ll maybe try again later.

joesatch

Reaction score
I guess this is why Reverb started charging tax last week on my purchases. I guess it's back to ebay for me