Reverb Bought Out By Etsy

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
FWIW.......

"I have some exciting news to share. Earlier today, we announced that we signed an agreement to be acquired by Etsy. We expect the acquisition to close in the coming months. When it does, Reverb will remain a standalone business, but will have the added support of Etsy—the global online marketplace for handmade and vintage items, with millions of buyers and sellers from nearly every country in the world.

With Etsy as our parent company, we’ll remain the marketplace built for the music community by a team of musicians and music lovers. Your ability to buy, sell, learn, and connect on Reverb will not change. At the same time, we’ll have added resources to continue growing and improving the Reverb community. You can read more on our blog.

Thank you for helping us get to this exciting point. Without you, Reverb is just a website. Because of you, Reverb is the best community online for musicians and music lovers from all over the world to connect over the perfect piece of gear. And together with Etsy, we’ll continue to make the world more musical together.

To Reverb’s next chapter,
David Kalt
CEO / Founder"

Attachments

fry

Reaction score
I don’t even really know what Etsy is. On the new version of the show Roseanne, Darlene described it as “a yard sale on the Internet“. So it’s something that is a big enough deal that they can buy out reverb.com? I don’t know how I feel about this.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Since when is Etsy bigger than Reverb? Guess I’m opening an account.

DotStudio

Reaction score
I don’t even really know what Etsy is. On the new version of the show Roseanne, Darlene described it as “a yard sale on the Internet“. So it’s something that is a big enough deal that they can buy out reverb.com? I don’t know how I feel about this.
Etsy has a market cap of $8.24 billion, and they bought Reverb for $275 million cash. So yes, quite a bit larger.

They specialize in being a marketplace for handmade goods and crafts. For instance, I made this stand for my turntable...

Screenshot_20190722-163932_Gallery.jpg

If I wanted to start making those stands to sell to a large audience I'd turn to Etsy, but I'd have competition...

Screenshot_20190722-163702_Chrome.jpg

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Reverb is owned by Chicago Musical Exchange

I Break Things

Reaction score
I've never used Reverb. I have used Etsy. I've only had positive experiences there. I've found really cool gifts for my wife, and most of them can be highly customized, so it's not a cookie cutter gift.

If transactions on Reverb will be like they are on Etsy... Well, I'll need cash for more gear then. As it stands, I can't even buy more picks or strings!

lpfan1980

Reaction score
One sells inexpensive garbage to women, the other sells higher-priced stuff to guys.

Look around your county, what do you have more of Target/Marshalls/Pier One/HomeGoods or music stores?

:)
This is teriffic news cheap vintage guitars covered in seashells and macaroni-just scrape em off OH JOY!!! :D :Ohno:

defcrew

Reaction score
I just bought an amp on Reverb and for the first time I can recall was charged sales tax. It came as an unpleasant surprise although I cannot argue that it shouldn't have happened a long time ago. It has really put brick and mortars at a decided disadvantage by circumventing it. I've never had anything but good experiences w Ebay or Reverb, frankly, and I thought their fees were identical re music gear? A renowned ecnomist I happen to know mentioned to me the other day that it seems companies are either huge or failing. I guess this is more of that trend. It's been going on for a long while--Suntrust and BB&T merging, Sherwin Williams buying up every other paint company, etc. I guess the capital required to compete in a global econ is bigger than we plebes can fathom. I make a decent living off the table crumbs of the locally successful!

fry

Reaction score
I just bought an amp on Reverb and for the first time I can recall was charged sales tax. It came as an unpleasant surprise although I cannot argue that it shouldn't have happened a long time ago. It has really put brick and mortars at a decided disadvantage by circumventing it. I've never had anything but good experiences w Ebay or Reverb, frankly, and I thought their fees were identical re music gear? A renowned ecnomist I happen to know mentioned to me the other day that it seems companies are either huge or failing. I guess this is more of that trend. It's been going on for a long while--Suntrust and BB&T merging, Sherwin Williams buying up every other paint company, etc. I guess the capital required to compete in a global econ is bigger than we plebes can fathom. I make a decent living off the table crumbs of the locally successful!
I just got the email from them last week that they were going to start charging tax in a handful of states, my state is not on the list just yet.

With this latest news, I can finally look forward to my dream guitar, a bedazzled Les Paul!
8FDF8B30-C908-4CDD-9042-9844EB92BCE0.jpeg