Reunited after 40 years

Ton of Tone

Reaction score
I played this exact guitar 40 years ago (when I was 15). This band was my first paying gig, making $75/night and having the time of my life. I was just a kid and the other band members were much older and took me in like a son. The daughter of the lead singer/bass player invited me to his 80th birthday party last weekend. After we spent the day talking about the good old days, he had me follow him out to his van, where he pulled out a hard shell case that made my heart stop. I knew that case. I opened it up and saw the guitar that I played so long ago. It looked exactly the way it did back then. He bought it from the guy I sold it to. He didn't play guitar, so the only reason I can think of why he bought it was to wait for this day to come. I told him I had to have it and he said that with me is where it belongs. I asked him what he wanted for it and he told me $500, which is what he paid for it 38 years ago. Meeting up with him and this guitar again made for quite a memorable day. One that I will never forget.

Last edited:

Ton of Tone

Reaction score
To make the story even more fascinating, he said that he's pretty sure he still has some pictures of me playing it back then. I'm going to his house soon to dig through them. I would love to have pics of me holding it, then and now. He also said he has some 1/2" 8 track reels of us playing at a bar and a high school prom. I will be snagging those as well. Hope they're still playable one last time, to convert them to digital.

dsmcl77

Reaction score
Congrats! That's a nice SG there. :applause:

The thread title reminded me a joke.
At a well renowned prostitute funeral many former client where paying their last respects.
In front of the coffin, one said "Reunited at last".
"What?" asked the one following him.
"Her legs."

:iough:

Saiko

Reaction score
Such an awesome story! I am glad you have your guitar back after all this time and thank you for sharing!!!

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome story! What a cool guy to do that, and you must have made quite the impression on him all of that time ago for him to do that for you! Super cool man! Enjoy it!

Latest Threads