Retinal Migraine

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spent the afternoon chilling, watching The Masters and reading MLP after a fun morning.
This morning I was doing my sitting in my chair, drinking coffee, reading MLP thing. My left eye got a little cloudy. Wiped it off, no better. Went and rinsed off my face and by the time I was done, the only thing I was seeing out of my left eye was white. I was staring at my fireplace and there were a few little slits like an old IBM punch card where I could see about 1/3 of a brick in about 4 places. The rest, solid white. Was getting pretty freaked out and after about 4 minutes it started slowly coming back. Real cloudy, partly cloudy and then after about 4 more minutes, it was like it never happened. The www. told me I was about to die, but I felt fine. Called my doc neighbor buddy. He told me I was either about to have a stroke or a migraine. I don't recall having a migraine, so his words weren't comforting. I was about to head in when the headache started to set in. Went to ophthalmologist instead of ER. Everything fine, sounds like a retinal migraine. Looks like I'm gonna live, but felt all afternoon like I'd been run over by a truck. Getting better by the minute.
Spooky, spooky chit having your vision gone for a few minutes. Didn't like it at all.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I had one once, and yeah, scared the hell out of me. I thought I was having a stroke, but seemed to be able to think and speak, so didn't know what it was. I called my nurse friend and said, in a way it seems like a migraine in my eye and then we found "occular migraines" on the internet, and yep, that was exactly what it was.

Zungle

Reaction score
I'd talk to a neurologist and rule out TIA......

Many times TIA can go undiagnosed or be misdiagnosed as cluster headache, migraine etc...

KTM

Reaction score
Take care and get checked out to rule out anything serious.

I get the weird vision, or something similar once or twice a year, usually after something somewhat stressful or after driving for many hours on a road trip. Thankfully I don't get the full on migraine just a dull headache. And if I take two Advil as soon as the odd vision starts I don't even get the dull headache.

judson

Reaction score
occular migraines are more common than you think, and they really dont know why or what brings them on. there are some common characteristics like the duration is usually like 30-35 mins and boom they are gone...that is a common trait...the frequency varies but i have a few a year maybe...freaked me out at first but once you know your not having a stroke you relax and wait till they pass in 30 mins or so...

my vision will look like this and the haze part moves right to left then is gone...no pain

do a search and there is a ton of valid info online but nobody knows why or how to stop them...i will usually go sit down and play guitar for the 30 min wait....so its something to relax me and take a break

Pop1655

Reaction score
Z, thanks. I think that’s in the cards. I do think this one was stress related. Rough day yesterday.

Fracture

Reaction score
mine stopped abut 6 years ago, hope they never return

they were usually preceeded by a significant pressure drop (barometric)...yours too ?

oxy, valium and darkened room for 36 hours or so

hope yours lets up pronto, those are very debilitating

Reactions: Who

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
I get retinal migraines about once every 3 months.

My vision gradually starts to go and I know its coming on. I take some painkillers and have a rest for 30 mins. If I catch it early enough with painkillers I can avoid most of the pain.

The first time I got one it scared the crap out of me. I thought I was going blind and we rushed to the doctor.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow Pops, that's frightening! I'm plagued with eye problems, but have never experienced that.

Best of luck!

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I get retinal migraines about once every 3 months.

My vision gradually starts to go and I know its coming on. I take some painkillers and have a rest for 30 mins. If I catch it early enough with painkillers I can avoid most of the pain.

The first time I got one it scared the crap out of me. I thought I was going blind and we rushed to the doctor.
I get retinal fixation form the gif in your signature!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suffer from occasional migraines and have to give myself a shot before I start stumbling and mumbling, but not one of those types. Eyes and hearing just got bad blurred....

Pop1655

Reaction score
It’s a temporarily constricted artery to the retina, in fry cooks terms. Could be a floating clot or reduced blood flow, can be brought on by stress. Eyes checked out fine. Got the full meal deal at the ophthalmologist.

The docs all know me, so I’ll probably get wrung through the wringer before it’s over, but right now I’m good.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Pop, Is it an eye thing, or a brain thing?

Is it actually an eye problem?
And don't mess about..... my dad was having "eye problems". Kept seeing so-called qualified ophthalmologists on and off for three weeks, while he was actually having mini strokes.
The last stroke hit while he was at a Quik Oil Change place. "Oh Shit" was the last thing he said, from what I heard.
Not that he died that day.... he just never spoke or walked again after that day.
Don't hesitate to be checked for stroke stuff.
Sorry for you my friend.
:thumb:

Reactions: Who

Olds442

Reaction score
wow glad you are ok! i get a different type of migraine but none of them are fun.

vision going out is a frightening thing.

Zungle

Reaction score
What's TIA?
http://www.strokeassociation.org/STROKEORG/AboutStroke/TypesofStroke/TIA/Transient-Ischemic-Attack-TIA_UCM_492003_SubHomePage.

https://news.heart.org/survey-1-in-3-adults-may-have-had-warning-stroke-but-most-didnt-seek-help/

My grandmother on my dads side of the family started off with one or two,in her fifties, then a few more in her 60'....when she hit her 70's she began having a couple daily and within a couple weeks she was gone....she was never diagnosed properly until it was too late.

When I was diagnosed with OPLL I went thru several MRI's, MRA's and a CT w/contrast.....

They found very,very minor grey matter in my brain(tiny tiny lesions)....the neurologist said it was quite possible I had one or two TIA's possibly brought on by the compression of the vertebral arteries .....so I have been on 2 low dose aspirin daily per the Dr's recommendation.

Last edited:

Latest Threads