Restoring my love for Strats

Goldtop75

Reaction score
I used to play strats, and nothing but strat styled guitars. After a while, I got bored, and moved on to Les Pauls. I have grown to love fat necks, and thick sounds, and find my strats too thin and brittle sounding. (even though I'm using CS Fat 50's pickups). They seemed to lack those meaty tones that I could coax from a sweet Les Paul. I also found the necks a bit too thin for my liking, though my Vintage Hotrod is still much thicker than my EBMM JP6.

Then recently I acquired a nice strat. It's got a big, fat chunky neck. So thick that I had problems initially playing above the 12th fret on the lower strings. I've gotten used to it, and I'm happy to say that it feels fantastic now.

And the pickups? Oh wow. Thick, chimey, and no icepick. Even the bridge pup, on some gain, fills up very nicely, and still retains the clarity that single coils are known for, without the icepick.

Even the frets feel like the tall Gibson Les Paul Standard frets that some people don't like. I love them.

What strat was this?

This is it:
goldtop75-albums-my-other-guitars-picture28255-img-0617.jpg

To be honest, the neck really feels like my Les Pauls do, and the tones are a lot sweeter than most single coils. I still like the neck tones of the fat 50s, but these present a different sound. So now I have a set of Les Pauls and a Strat that feels so similar and comfortable. I wish I had a nice maple strat that felt like this too. (maybe I should send my 57VHR strat for a refret?)

And I just LOVE that colour... And the cool Incase it came in.

firesgt911

Reaction score
Very nice! I went through the same thing. Used to be nothing but a Strat guy then realized how thin sounding they were. Spent years experimenting with pups, without success. Finally went to Gibson and couldn't be happier! I still have a soft spot for Strats though.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
I have a Fender HWY 1 that's an ash body, has a really fat neck, 22 frets...weight-wise it weighs about as much as a Les Paul...it's a nice enough guitar, but every time I really try to get into it I start to miss the thicker tones and by the time I'm really starting to miss it I've already bumped the selector switch with my picking hand half a dozen times.

I guess for me...every time I play a Strat I have to adjust my technique a bit. I don't find it as friendly for planting my picking hand on the bridge, and when I strum I usually find myself right over the neck pickup.

firesgt911

Reaction score
I have a Fender HWY 1 that's an ash body, has a really fat neck, 22 frets...weight-wise it weighs about as much as a Les Paul...it's a nice enough guitar, but every time I really try to get into it I start to miss the thicker tones and by the time I'm really starting to miss it I've already bumped the selector switch with my picking hand half a dozen times.

I guess for me...every time I play a Strat I have to adjust my technique a bit. I don't find it as friendly for planting my picking hand on the bridge, and when I strum I usually find myself right over the neck pickup.

Yep. My last Strat was a HWY1 and I felt the same way.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Yep. My last Strat was a HWY1 and I felt the same way.

You know what's funny...I still won't sell it. I'd probably sell my MIJ '68 reissue before selling that HWY 1 if I was forced to it.

I may dump some active pickups into it one of these days ala EMG or if Seymour Duncan makes a blackout variant for a single coil that size. (I also considered the Seymour Duncan rail passives, but the JB Jr. was TOO hot....Hot rail wasn't hot enough.)

jordans0nly

Reaction score
That's a JM sig, Cypris Mica (probably spelled that wrong)..

Goldtop75

Reaction score
Cypress Mica, you mean... Hahaha... Yeah, you're right. That's what it is.

The strumming bit is fine, and I prefer it that way too. A more open, less aggressive, low attack tone. Then I just shift my hands to get a bit more attack when playing leads. I actually play my LP's the same way too! I move up and down to get different attacks.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I'm GASing pretty bad for a Strat right now. Might pull the trigger on a Standard Strat this week.

toppsseller

Reaction score
I just got a new standard strat. For a long time I was working on convincing myself that I could make MIM strats sound just as good as the American ones. Then I really played an American strat and found that they don't do one thing amazingly better than than a mexican strat. They do everything just slightly better. The frets are nicely polished, neck is silky, and it just feels right. I also have found a larger tone difference when cycling through the selector switch. Each position is noticeably different. Must be better electronics.

IMG_0137.jpg

Goldtop75

Reaction score
For a long time I was working on convincing myself that I could make MIM strats sound just as good as the American ones. Then I really played an American strat and found that they don't do one thing amazingly better than than a mexican strat. They do everything just slightly better. The frets are nicely polished, neck is silky, and it just feels right. I also have found a larger tone difference when cycling through the selector switch. Each position is noticeably different. Must be better electronics.

Actually, if you're comparing the MIMs with the American Standards, they're not that much of a difference. But start comparing the Deluxes or the AVRIs, and the MIMs are a far cry...

Unless...

You actually compare the MIM Classic Player series. Those are seriously amazing guitars that kick the crap out of even some AVRIs.

Having said that, I think I'll hang on to my 2 strats now as "just-in-case" guitars. I just brought my JM strat to a 4 hour jam. After that long jam, I seriously miss my Les Pauls...:laugh2:

I guess I'm still an LP guy after all.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Actually, if you're comparing the MIMs with the American Standards, they're not that much of a difference. But start comparing the Deluxes or the AVRIs, and the MIMs are a far cry...

The Deluxes (like the Deluxe Roadhouse Strat) are made in Mexico too aren't they?

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My first electric was a strat, hated it, then played others, hated them as well. Was all excited when I bought my SRV in the 90s... Same story, didn't like it too much.

I got a used one that needed some TLC a few days ago, and I gotta say, it plays great, sounds great, just amazing. I took the final blow yesterday when I had the chance to play it through a Deluxe reissue. Man, that was the little blues tone that evaded me for years!!!!!!!

I love my strat! I can't believe I said that, I'm gonna go wash my mouth with soap now! :D

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I meant the American Deluxes. With the S1 Switches.

Ah, gotcha. I am currently looking at picking up a Roadhouse Deluxe if the deal stays intact (if not, I'll grab a MIM Standard) so those were the only deluxe range I had in mind.

Nevin1985

Reaction score
That is a John Mayer Signature guitar. You can tell it apart quite easily with the unique knobs and higher than usual string tree. The bag they came with is really good too. Desirable guitar!

toppsseller

Reaction score

Unless...

You actually compare the MIM Classic Player series. Those are seriously amazing guitars that kick the crap out of even some AVRIs.

The MIM Classic Player stuff is really nice. I have a CP Jag which is pretty cool. I wanted a CP strat in surf green but I can't get used to the vintage frets. I also have a Baja tele which I think is considered a CP. The Tele is the only guitar I've ever bought that didn't need a single bit of setup out of the box.

Latest Threads