Restoring My 1880 Weber Grand Piano, and The Sweet Smell Of Brazilian Rosewood.

Bluesky

Reaction score
You selfisj bastid. Think of all the LP fretboards you could make out of that thing!

Just keeeeding......thats gonna be sweet.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Truly beautiful. I assisted in the restoration of a rosewood piano of similar vintage and aesthetic, but it was a square piano and so not remotely the player that baby grand is.

Tru-oil is a polymerized linseed oil, in other words it's not dissimilar to the varnish that would have been used in the 1880s save that the old varnishes would also have included a resin like colophony, copal or sandarac (crystallization of the resin is why you can see the "alligator" checking on old varnished pieces).

Lacquer came in a bit later than that, though; really only became a thing in wood finishing with the invention of spray equipment ca. WW1.

judson

Reaction score
great work and amazing looking piano....

a piano was always in our home even prior to when i was crawling underneath it listening to my mom play.

i just shipped it to one of the youngest relatives to hopefully enjoy for future generations as it has been in the family over 100 years....they are the most fun to sit in front of and touch .......i will miss it but can visit it anytime.

.....and it was time to pass it along.

Latest Threads